Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:58 PM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times

Advertisements

Another option is to use a camping hammock system.

Ultralightweight pioneers have come up with some clever solutions.
[] Hennessy Hammock - hammock tent under 2 lbs.
Since compressed insulation is not as effective, the "hangers" have come up half sleeping bags with "underquilts" suspended beneath the hammock, as well as radiant barriers that improve performance.

Hammock Forums
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5804

http://www.the-ultralight-site.com/

YouTube has some interesting videos by hammock campers doing the "lightweight" sling in all sorts of miserable weather.

Swinging Winter Camping! In a Hammock! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
A hammock is a good solution if you have some sturdy trees to hook up to. My only concern would be losing heat on all sides in the wind. The ground might be cold, but at least the wind isn't wicking heat from that direction. But an insulated hammock, with a good bag setup inside, AND a full fly that goes all the way to ground on both sides to block the wind would work pretty darned good in forested country.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
[A] A hammock is a good solution if you have some sturdy trees to hook up to. [b] My only concern would be losing heat on all sides in the wind. The ground might be cold, but at least the wind isn't wicking heat from that direction. [C] But an insulated hammock, with a good bag setup inside, AND a full fly that goes all the way to ground on both sides to block the wind would work pretty darned good in forested country.
A. Some clever folks used their hammocks where there were few trees, and improvised. A few even used mountaineering spikes to suspend them from a rock face. Some just placed them on the ground and propped up the rain fly.
Then some just "hung out" via their car based hammock mount.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/3/5/mountain_border_of_kazakstan_and_kyrgyzstan.jpg (broken link)
http://hennessyhammock.com/articles/global_photos/

B. The Ultralight gang generally use a winter "shell" around their basic 3-season hammock. The undershell is useful as a mosquito barrier, as well as an ideal place for a radiant barrier above a fluffy insulation layer *(uncompressed). Some of the DIY underquilts have been engineered to double as winter ponchos, saving even more weight.
2006 Jacks
Hammock Quilt / Poncho - Quilt in Jacket Mode - Close Up View. Hammock Forums Gallery

C. Opinions vary but most prefer that their flys vent the water vapor. Some use closed cell foam pads + bags. Others use a radiant barrier + bubble wrap, then their underquilts. Some of the dissension comes from the schism between the foot entry versus side entry hammocks, too.
Insulation: Hennessy Hammock Catalogue

Old 01-02-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
An insulated hammock, with a good bag setup inside, AND a full fly that goes all the way to ground on both sides to block the wind would work pretty darned good in forested country.
Most hammock campers do it the other way - they have insulation AROUND the hammock, not inside it.

See: Speer Pea Pod

Grand Trunk hammock & Speer Pea Pod! - YouTube

Old 01-02-2012, 05:53 PM

As long as you have a wind and weatherproof shell, you could probably get away with putting the insulation farther to the outside. Although, insulation does best when it's closest to the heat source (your body, in this case).

Old 01-02-2012, 06:00 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
I don't think anyone mentioned an emergency space blanket, folds flat, is silver on one side and gold on the other. I have two in my bag when duck/goose hunting for just in case.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 PM

NorthBeach - I have the blankets and the bags EVERYWHERE - glove box, vehicle emergency kit, all my first aid kits and my trapping/hunting/fishing caches, even some spares in my BOB in addition to my bedroll. In fact I used the emergency space bag as my radiant liner until I got the less crinkly more durable upgraded version I keep them stocked even though they aren't perfect, just like I keep the air activated hand/foot/body warmers even though they aren't perfect. When you're dealing with temps below freezing, and definitely below 0F, you can't ever be too prepared with warmth!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:35 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Most hammock campers do it the other way - they have insulation AROUND the hammock, not inside it.

See: Speer Pea Pod

Grand Trunk hammock & Speer Pea Pod! - YouTube
Hey they invented a new kind of grizzly bear treat.

Kind of like pigs in a blanket.

Neat though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness