U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,555,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I don't think I said or even implied anything about panicking. My posting this was not an indication that I'm in a panic; nothing of the sort. This is a "thought experiment" about what you would do if you knew the world might end in a year. My first goal would be to try to do God's will for the time I have left. I would just keep up prepping "just in case" I survive a little longer and surviving becomes hard.
Maybe not; but the posts about indulging one's fantasies - everything from robbing banks, through using heroin and killing people because they can get away with it, running up debt and indulging in travel or other expensive dreams, all the way to trying to trade to some god for an improved Karma result - are all about last-minute, no-repercussion, no-responsibility self-indulgence. That to me is panicking - breaking bad, going wild, whatever you want to call it - the opposite of planning.

My brother belonged to one of those wacko cults that said that the world was ending in 1986. He piled on the credit cards, bought a lot of stuff and paid a lot of money to the cult for the privilege of staying in their 'bug-out' place in the mountain caves where his cult was to hide out, then when the "time" came, quit his job, packed his car, and went.

I never heard what actually happened, but in three months he returned to his town, broke, and begging for his job back. The world, oddly enough, didn't end, and he had a lot of debts to pay back. I guess he should be glad they didn't hand him a cup of Koolaid...

Like I said initially, I am a cynic. Unless and until Jesus (or Buddha, or Gaia, or Allah - you pick) comes down and tells me "Next week is IT!" - I'm chillin'. And even then I'd probably have my water tested for psychotropics...
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 09:50 AM

6,460 posts, read 8,197,638 times
But the point of a hypothetical question is to assume that if this is the case, then what would you do. There are other places for arguing whether the world will end, and how.

I love when I present hypotheticals and people reject one of the premises in the hypothetical. Like if I asked "if you had a million dollars, today, what would you do with it?" and people respond with "oh, that would never happen."

So being a cynic should not factor into it. That's fine to be a cynic; I'm a cynic in several areas too. But being a cynic doesn't mean you can't "stretch" your mind and try to guess what you would do "if."

Yes, the people who want to rape and pillage would be reacting to panic. But I don't see how someone wanting to use the next year to do good works, help others, and grow spiritually would be doing that out of panic. Most of us who are into preparation aren't doing it out of panic, like, unfortunately, your brother was. It's actually a form of "anti-panic" in my book.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 PM

345 posts, read 454,177 times
Default A realistic vision of an actual crisis

Let's be realistic here. If you knew there was a 99% chance everything would end in a year, chances are almost everyone else would also. This would pose huge problems in that most likely, a lot of people, save for those who are denial or who need repetitive structure to keep them sane, would stop reporting to work immediately. This means food stops getting produced, water and sewer sanitation comes to a halt, trash pickup ceases, planes are grounded, and the transportation networks we rely on to receive goods stop running. I would expect Martial law to be declared.

The best you could hope for would be to have enough food and water stored to last your family one year and to have enough guns and ammunition to protect yourselves from those who don't.

In conclusion, those fantasizing about traveling the world in the end of days, would only be fooling themselves. Those thinking they would go on a crime spree would most certainly find their lives with a shorter expiration date. Anyone wishing to run up an outrageous amount of debt via credit card may be able to, until the credit card companies realize what's going on and freeze all transactions. However, if the power grid goes down, credit cards will only be worth the plastic they're made from. I'm sure the value of cash will become nill, as people ignore their debts and focus exclusively on obtaining food and water. I would expect the streets of most major cities to turn into war zones, as despite Martial law, gangs and looters ransack former places of business in desperate search of supplies. Towards the end, even military and police personnel will abandon their posts, knowing full well the end is near. For those still alive, the final moments will bring an eerie silence across the land, as everyone's breath hangs on the final instance of doom.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:34 PM

6,672 posts, read 5,387,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
So you have one year left, before you (and everyone) die, or at the very least, the world will experience some cataclysmic event, and you might still be around for it. What do you do differently, if anything, over the next year?
Nothing much. If we suddenly all keel over in mid sentence due to some grandiose universal event, what's to be done?

I can only prepare for that over which I have control. I have control over the degree of my involvement/non-involvement in the modern Rube Goldberg contraption of a society we have foolishly built, but I have no control over an asteroid hitting the earth, no control over the earth spinning out of orbit, no control over little green men invading from Pluto... and no control over a Mayan God waving his/her magic wand (resulting in all of us keeling over on the spot).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness