Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 06:05 PM

817 posts, read 2,184,609 times

Advertisements

Heh! Your doctor would have to have that much on hand because all the pharmacists, like everyone else, would have already quit their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 07:27 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,077,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Let's just say, for the sake of this discussion, that you found out for certain, or even 99% certain, than the world as we know it will somehow end one year from today, on December 21, 2012. What would you do over the next year to prepare?
You would do whatever governments at various levels permitted you to do.

You don't think the government wouldn't step in at some point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm thinking more along the lines of:
  • Make an effort to be thankful every day for what I have
  • Try to do at least one good deed every day
  • Get into the habit of telling people I love that I love them
  • Keep up my food and supplies storage, and encourage others to do it
  • Get out that list of things I want to do before I die, and see if I can do some of them in the next year.
  • Buy more guns and ammunition, just in case
You won't survive long. Maybe a week or two.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:56 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,823,813 times
Well, I wasn't going for just survival per se. If a huge meteor smashes into Earth, right into Pennsylvania, I'm pretty sure I won't survive, no matter how much stuff I've stored up. So even though I'm into prepping physically, I was also thinking of prepping in a deeper sense. If I'm gonna be in the crosshairs of the big meteor, I want to make sure I've spent the past year doing something worthy, since I do believe in an afterlife. Call it doing what God would like, or putting out positive karma, whatever.

But in case it's some kind of cataclysm that some CAN survive, I'm preparing to be one of those people, or to make sure those I care about benefit from my preparation if I don't.

I guess I was just trying to get at--if you knew exactly when you would die, how would you spend te rest of your life? Sure, I see the benefits of trying to enjoy oneself: travel the world, experience luxuries I usually don't experience. But I also believe in the benefits of doing good during that time.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,856,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I would go hunting for all the bad criminals and shoot them dead. You know, the child killers, animal abusers, those kind. Do something good for society.
And, as a practical matter, how would you find those admittedly despicable people? Aren't most of the child killers in prison? It would hardly work to stop everyone you see on the street and ask if that person is a child killer or animal abuser. You might end up in the nuthouse. Do I detect lots of free-floating hostility that you would choose to go on a killing spree? Of course I, too, have strong negative feelings against murderers and the like. But I find your choice bizarre. I guess that's what the thread was asking for - all different kinds of answers. The bizarre answers are more interesting and sometimes provoke more discussion than the conventional ones.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:50 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,662,293 times
I wouldn't do things much differently than I am doing them now.

For one thing, I am a cynic, and I don't believe that anyone knows when their own death will happen, much less the world's.

Secondly, I am happy where I am and with what I'm doing - I don't give a dam what anyone else does, says, thinks, or feels about it. To live thru "World's End" or to die from it wouldn't matter to me. Whatever happens, I won't panic and I will deal with it,for as long as I am alive.

Meteor landing in my backyard? Yellowstone Caldera blowing? Hurricanes, floods, volcanoes suddenly erupting as the whole crust of the earth heaves? I'll either survive it or I won't; panicking and worrying about it won't change a thing. Economic collapse, societal collapse, anything 'man-made' - I'll sit right here and smile and putter along. Go ahead, knock yourselves out, fight amongst yourselves, make your whole city and front lawn drenched in blood, protest, scream, shake your fists, rabble-rouse, or become rabble out there - no shockwave gets this far. Like the old folks around here say - "We'd been living on our own for so long out here that by the time we knew there was a Depression, it was over."

Panic causes mistakes, worry causes ulcers and heart attacks. Why waste time and energy?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:44 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,112,707 times
Assuming this awareness hasn't gone public, we would gather the family (kids and grandchildren and just tour the country with our 5th wheel. Try the things we would never have wanted to like foods, activities (bungee jumping and zip lines) and spend time with as many different people as we could just to talk about life...

Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,642,657 times
I buy a lot of weed and smoke more than ever, have sex with my girflriends sister, rob a bank just because i always wondered if i could get away with it, get
involved in a high speed persuit, get revenge on a few people i hate, stuff like that.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:53 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,961,839 times
If the disaster that is supposed to happen in 2012 is actually as bad as everyone thinks it will be, the only thing one could do is make peace with themselves and their maker. Other than that, sit back and enjoy what is left.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I wouldn't do things much differently than I am doing them now.

For one thing, I am a cynic, and I don't believe that anyone knows when their own death will happen, much less the world's.

Secondly, I am happy where I am and with what I'm doing - I don't give a dam what anyone else does, says, thinks, or feels about it. To live thru "World's End" or to die from it wouldn't matter to me. Whatever happens, I won't panic and I will deal with it,for as long as I am alive.

Meteor landing in my backyard? Yellowstone Caldera blowing? Hurricanes, floods, volcanoes suddenly erupting as the whole crust of the earth heaves? I'll either survive it or I won't; panicking and worrying about it won't change a thing. Economic collapse, societal collapse, anything 'man-made' - I'll sit right here and smile and putter along. Go ahead, knock yourselves out, fight amongst yourselves, make your whole city and front lawn drenched in blood, protest, scream, shake your fists, rabble-rouse, or become rabble out there - no shockwave gets this far. Like the old folks around here say - "We'd been living on our own for so long out here that by the time we knew there was a Depression, it was over."

Panic causes mistakes, worry causes ulcers and heart attacks. Why waste time and energy?
I don't think I said or even implied anything about panicking. My posting this was not an indication that I'm in a panic; nothing of the sort. This is a "thought experiment" about what you would do if you knew the world might end in a year. My first goal would be to try to do God's will for the time I have left. I would just keep up prepping "just in case" I survive a little longer and surviving becomes hard.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:06 AM

I also think posts 17 and 18 provide a good contrast representing the opposite directions I think a lot of people would take.

I know we're not totally serious here, and I'm not taking it that way. But what does it say about a person who would use what time they have left to commit crimes and other actions of self-indulgence? Are those people the majority? Or are there more people like Severs and me who would try to "make peace with our maker?"

This is why I retain my "prepping" as my backup plan, mostly to deal with the people who would run amok, raping, looting, etc. At least when the big meteor/explosion/pole shift/crust displacement/earth annihilation happens, people like me won't have to deal with those people any more, as we'll go on to something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness