U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,857,564 times

Advertisements

One of the 2012 theories is that the alignment of the Earth ,and the planets, with the center of our galaxy will somehow cause enough pull on the earth to flex the crust enough to cause Yellowstone to erupt.

All I can say is......maybe.

But let's see what the U.S. Geological Service has to say.......

Steam Explosions, Quakes, and Volcanic Eruptions—What’s in Yellowstone’s Future? | USGS Fact Sheet 2005-3024

Yellowstone Volcano Observatory

Tracking Changes in Yellowstone's Restless Volcanic System | USGS Fact Sheet 100-03

Current alerts.....
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/activity/status.php

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 01-14-2012 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 07:55 PM

29,989 posts, read 35,581,905 times
Let me get out my Magic 8 Ball on this one:

Ask the Magic 8 Ball (http://www.m8ball.com/index.php?answer=4677476 - broken link)

Old 01-14-2012, 08:02 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,190,191 times
I read the reports. I think we are okay this year.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:04 PM

45 posts, read 80,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Let me get out my Magic 8 Ball on this one:

Ask the Magic 8 Ball (http://www.m8ball.com/index.php?answer=4677476 - broken link)
Ouija board for better details?

Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 PM

9,898 posts, read 9,828,663 times
I'd say no... but I have no gypsy blood. Kinda wish I did. Outside of telling fortunes, I really like their music as well.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:23 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,053,573 times
My brother lives 200 miles from the westernmost edge of the Yellowstone Caldera. He was very upset when I bought in Nebraska, south and east instead of west of the Caldera. He fgures we are not only downwind from the ash dispersion but 'downstream' from the potential flow. He keeps an eye on these things, has watched the activity not only in Yellowstone but in his area (which also has a few hot springs and other 'taps' into the earth). He firmly believes that there will be an eruption in the next 20 years. Also his religious beliefs lead him to believe that the time may be sooner than we think.

I just smile and agree with him. When we lived on the East Coast, the bg thing was the 'dead volcano' in the Canaries that was going to fall into the ocean at some point and swamp the entire East Coast, millions underwater, huge tsunami, etc.

If there is some sort of planetary alignment this year, or astronmical events that coalesce all at once to cause earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, and other upheavals, I consider us to be at the best place to avoid most of that. The Badlands north and west of us in SD are pretty good evidence of that, as well as would work to be an efficient receptacle for a lot of, if not all of, a Yellowstone flow. The ash coverage... well, I watched the ash dispersal from Mt. St. Helens pretty avidly; in spite of the hyped up panic and the followup inevitable disaster movies, it was dispersed (as all volcanic ash is) pretty rapidly and completely over the earth, in fact decreasing the worlds' temps slightly the following year due to solar reflection in the higher elevations of the disbursed ash. (The anomaly that always screws up the global warming fanatics' calculations - shhhh... They still don't get it.)

Point is that IF such a thing occurs, there isn't a danged thing any one of us can do about it. Even if we avoid the ash that coats our lungs and turns to cement in them, even if we avoid the boiling lava that eventually seeks its own level and stops, the changes that would occur in our atmosphere due to the heating/coverage spread of the lava and the reflection of the solar rays could do anything from change worldwide temps by 2 degrees - or start the beginnings of a 'nuclear winter' to last several decades. Either way, there's nothing we can do about it!

Great premise for disaster movies, lots of fun to watch heroes and heroines solve earth problems on a massive scale (and BTW unrealistic - lining up fire trucks to pour water on lava to cool it down to stop it and turn it? The boiling steam alone from that would have parboiled everything within 1000 feet!) - you can't 'plan' for a global catastrophe, any more than you can flee it in an airplane or survive the massive upheaval of the waters in a boat. All you can do is sit back, do what ever it is you have been doing, and enjoy it as much as you can - til the next Aztec researcher, hellfire and brimstone preacher, or global warming lunatic leaps up and starts yammering about "The Sky IS Falling!" - to get more money from the gullible.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:20 PM

29,989 posts, read 35,581,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Weasel View Post
Ouija board for better details?
No thanks, like a good Jedi I don't go over to the dark side.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:36 PM

17,741 posts, read 13,064,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
One of the 2012 theories.....
...proposed by Timmy, who is in Mrs. Wensleydales's 6th Grade Class.

Quote:
... is that the alignment of the Earth...
The Earth is always "aligned" with the Galactic Center, because the Solar System in which the Earth exists orbits the Galactic Center.

That would be like saying the Earth is aligned with the Sun, but then the Earth is always aligned with the Sun, because the Earth orbits the Sun.

At this point, I would like to introduce you to a concept called "the Speed of Light."

I hate to rain on your spam-parade, but the Earth already aligned with the Galactic Center in 1987.

Probably the best way to explain that is the star that you see which is 50 light years from Earth, are you really sure it's there?

No, you cannot be certain that star still exists.

Why?

Because if the star went nova and exploded 10 years ago, it would be another 40 years before the light from the nova and the subsequent explosion reached Earth, and only then could you see that it no longer existed.

Quote:
....,and the planets...
The Planets will not be aligned. Apparently that is additional non-factual information you or your incompetent source added to prey on the fears of the ignorant.

Quote:
... with the center of our galaxy will somehow cause enough pull on the earth to flex the crust enough to cause Yellowstone to erupt.
No. A 10th Grader with a spreadsheet or calculator can figure that out.

You do know the formula, do you not.

Quote:
All I can say is......maybe.
I can give a more qualified answer: No.

Debunking spam...

Micea

Old 01-15-2012, 03:10 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,857,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
...proposed by Timmy, who is in Mrs. Wensleydales's 6th Grade Class.

The Earth is always "aligned" with the Galactic Center, because the Solar System in which the Earth exists orbits the Galactic Center.

That would be like saying the Earth is aligned with the Sun, but then the Earth is always aligned with the Sun, because the Earth orbits the Sun.

At this point, I would like to introduce you to a concept called "the Speed of Light."

I hate to rain on your spam-parade, but the Earth already aligned with the Galactic Center in 1987.

Probably the best way to explain that is the star that you see which is 50 light years from Earth, are you really sure it's there?

No, you cannot be certain that star still exists.

Why?

Because if the star went nova and exploded 10 years ago, it would be another 40 years before the light from the nova and the subsequent explosion reached Earth, and only then could you see that it no longer existed.

The Planets will not be aligned. Apparently that is additional non-factual information you or your incompetent source added to prey on the fears of the ignorant.

No. A 10th Grader with a spreadsheet or calculator can figure that out.

You do know the formula, do you not.

I can give a more qualified answer: No.

Debunking spam...

Micea
Why the sour grape on everything posted ??

It's much better to just enjoy life then try to drag everyone else down with a bad attitude.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:21 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,053,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No thanks, like a good Jedi I don't go over to the dark side.
Too bad... we have better cookies...
DARK chocolate chips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness