U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-18-2012, 04:27 PM

5,809 posts, read 4,532,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Nice speech but what does it have to do with ,my post?
I don't care how you live and for all you know we may have many things in common but if I chose to leave the planet on my own terms who cares?
The point is that very, very few who truly embraces the spirit of a "preparedness lifestyle" would propose that you HAVE to live in any particular fashion (you implied otherwise in your first post--your words: if I have to live the way some are proposing what's the point?). Tell me who it is that is proposing you alter your lifestyle? If they are, tell them to get lost, because most "preppers" would propose that you live as you see fit. I'd doubt many are going to tell you that you can't shoot yourself if you wish, either.

Problem is, we always get this undertone around here (in this and other preparedness forums) that those who are into preparedness are living in some sort of leper colony and that it is some horrible, miserable, terrifying lifestyle. That's not the case. I don't know any local "preppers" who live in caves and eat bat droppings. You'd never even know that most of them are into preparedness.

My original reaction is probably the same reaction you would have if I said that I'd rather blow my brains out than live the way you do. It implies that your life and/or lifestyle is somehow substandard even if I don't come right out and say it. Live the way you wish, but please respect the choices of others. That was the point of my "speech."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-18-2012, 08:38 PM

3,090 posts, read 2,807,473 times
Please! No fighting!

I respect the preppers I talk to here. You have given me some great information and I thank you all for that. A few here seem a bit 'high and mighty' and that might be what PDD was responding too. I just ignore that.

I think it all comes down to the fact that we are trying to preserve our lives in a manner in which we will be comfortable in a given situation. Some want to survive no matter what. Others don't. To each his/her own.

Unread 02-18-2012, 09:22 PM

5,809 posts, read 4,532,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Please! No fighting!
Yeah, I know. But I relatively often get all cantankerous and sarcastic. Then I can't help but offer a sermon. Sometimes my sermons can be quite entertaining, though. Sometimes. I'll bet many, many folks have rolled their eyes or shook their heads at my posts. There oughtah be an award, I tell ya.

Oh well.

Unread 02-20-2012, 10:20 AM

648 posts, read 706,821 times
Now another angle on will your home be just another... So, this is all assuming that each person's home is their castle & can your castle stand.

However, there are some existing social structures that may take on new meaning. One example is your local church. I'm not saying this would be the best way to survive/thrive, but how many of you can see congregations coming together & attempting to build a community around their church?

I'm sure there would be problems... some congregations would want to convert others, other congregations might attract stragglers/hanger's on by their success.

Also other social/cultural organizations might come together, any that you can think of?

Unread 02-20-2012, 10:24 AM

46,858 posts, read 41,296,443 times
of a truth, matthew 10:36

Unread 02-20-2012, 11:20 AM

4,342 posts, read 2,975,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
...there are some existing social structures that may take on new meaning. One example is your local church. I'm not saying this would be the best way to survive/thrive, but how many of you can see congregations coming together & attempting to build a community around their church?

Also other social/cultural organizations might come together, any that you can think of?
The Ku Klux Klan would be a likely organization in areas where there is a tradition of community respect for it. This would be primarily in the South. Certain elements of city populations look very favorably on street gangs. Some gangs have already begun community programs. The Mafia could have success in a few areas but it's not what it once was. Like the Klan, the old timers are getting mighty old.

Hurricane Katrina, however, showed the world that ad hoc neighborhood oranizations can best defend property. This didn't occur in the slums but in working class and above areas. Common needs can unite people better than anything else. When everyone attends a lynching people don't talk to outsiders.

Unread 02-20-2012, 02:48 PM

4,606 posts, read 4,484,431 times
The best defense against raiding is not advertising. If you have a hamlet built up around any large community building, you're essentially advertising that you probably have something worth raiding because you are "rich" enough to build and maintain a non-essential structure. So a community may band together bound by a common belief system or need, but erecting a structure for it (like a church or hall) may work against you.

Unread 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
The best defense against raiding is not advertising. If you have a hamlet built up around any large community building, you're essentially advertising that you probably have something worth raiding because you are "rich" enough to build and maintain a non-essential structure. So a community may band together bound by a common belief system or need, but erecting a structure for it (like a church or hall) may work against you.
I'm not sure it would be so obvious, for a long time people would be scavenging & reusing existing structures. Even if a community isn't 'in town', there are churches in fairly rural areas...

The point is well taken though, if something is well-maintained even if old, it's obvious people of means are near. However, who says those people don't have means to defend themselves or is that mutually exclusive with most church-going folk?

Unread 02-20-2012, 04:54 PM

4,606 posts, read 4,484,431 times
I don't think it matters whether an apparently affluent town is God-fearing or heathens, or even prepared and supplied to defend themselves... if they look well-off and well-supplied they're going to be targets, which is a hassle even if they rebuff an attack.

The one and only problem that I see with a visible church is that you are displaying your fundamental belief system, which could be used against you if your adversary is familiar with the tenets and doctrines of your faith. In the past, Christian villages were often targeted by highwaymen because the church doors were open to all and charity was a basic tenet... so they'd send in a scout disguised as a weary traveler requiring aid, who would be taken in and could then case the town and breach defenses from the inside. And villages with churches also became easily identifiable targets for attacking forces from opposing religions.

If you're going to have a church or hall, or reuse an existing church or hall for another purpose, do whatever is necessary to keep it hidden and/or appear to just be another rundown building that doesn't standout from other buildings in your village and the surrounding villages. If you have a shiny building, or your village is cleaner than surrounding villages, you are going to be infinitely more attractive to a raider.

Unread 02-21-2012, 09:19 AM

I guess that's why cities built walls & had kings who built castles... at least before artillery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness