Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times

Advertisements

There are a few good books on this subject. "Survivors" by James Wesley Rawles is quite good. His earlier book, "Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse" is better in my opinion. "One Second After" by William Forstchen is quite good. The forward is by Newt Gingrich. All of these books are very well researched and written by experts who have used the equipment involved. Any of these books could save your life.

Lastly, there is "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. This book is hard to find. You might get lucky and find it a a yard sale for sale by somebody who doesn't know what he has. I have seen them for sale for over $1,900. A year ago you could buy one at gun shows for only $750. This book could save your life. I used to loan my copy out until the price hit $250. Then I stopped loaning it.

By the way, the posts above are very good arguments for not keeping all your supplies in one place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
By the way, the posts above are very good arguments for not keeping all your supplies in one place.
Best advice so far in the whole thread!

I dunno why some people think everyone else is so stupid. We have at least a year of food put aside for 15 people. We have extra clothing, medical supplies, ammo, and a few extra guns for 10 adults. We have heirloom seeds and fertilizers, a good deal of fuel, and lots of tools. LOTS.

I live in a rural/suburban area of Rhode Island, a very small and populated state. We have a typical 2-story house on about 2 acres with garage and workshop. I challenge anyone on this board to find any of the listed supplies (save what is in current use at the house or in the garage). Anyone who came rampaging toward the house can have it; they can burn it down. They won't find anything there to sustain them for more than a week (less, if there are lots of them). They can go over the property with metal detectors and will find nothing buried.

They won't even find me, my family, our dog, or any living creature except the field mice that run around the place. If you want to play with pipe bombs and grenades, have at it. You want it? You gotta find it first!!!

Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
I may ultimately lose, but after using a huge pile of belt-fed 7.62, a huge pile of belt-fed .50bmg, a sniper here and there, and some strategically placed Claymores (and a few home-made 'devices'), I guess I deserve to lose.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:53 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
[quote=Nor'Eastah;22597548]Best advice so far in the whole thread!

I dunno why some people think everyone else is so stupid. We have at least a year of food put aside for 15 people. We have extra clothing, medical supplies, ammo, and a few extra guns for 10 adults. We have heirloom seeds and fertilizers, a good deal of fuel, and lots of tools. LOTS.

I live in a rural/suburban area of Rhode Island, a very small and populated state. We have a typical 2-story house on about 2 acres with garage and workshop. I challenge anyone on this board to find any of the listed supplies (save what is in current use at the house or in the garage). Anyone who came rampaging toward the house can have it; they can burn it down. They won't find anything there to sustain them for more than a week (less, if there are lots of them). They can go over the property with metal detectors and will find nothing buried.

They won't even find me, my family, our dog, or any living creature except the field mice that run around the place. If you want to play with pipe bombs and grenades, have at it. You want it? You gotta find it first!!![/quote]

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal choice is to make either hydrazine or phosgene. You can do it from typical supplies at Home Depot. You can hide, but you have to breathe.

Sorry, left out chloroform.... nothing that a little sodium hypochlorite and acetone won't cure....

Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 AM

7 posts, read 18,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Lastly, there is "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. This book is hard to find. You might get lucky and find it a a yard sale for sale by somebody who doesn't know what he has. I have seen them for sale for over $1,900. A year ago you could buy one at gun shows for only $750. This book could save your life. I used to loan my copy out until the price hit $250. Then I stopped loaning it.
Then I guess there are some real bargains on Amazon right now for only $140 used and $225 brand new. Still that's an awful lot for a book.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:07 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Agree with OP.

Make sure you also have at least a plan B... should plan A gets busted from that "big mouth".

Old 01-18-2012, 02:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
They won't even find me, my family, our dog, or any living creature except the field mice that run around the place. If you want to play with pipe bombs and grenades, have at it. You want it? You gotta find it first!!!
They'll find it.

You under-estimate the resourcefulness and cleverness of people, especially when they are severely stressed and challenged.

And what, 15 people living underground? I guess it never donned on you that NASA spends $Thousands conducting psychological tests on candidates for its programs, because the astronauts live in isolation, even if it is just for a few days. Your group won't be able to handle it, and they'll want to get out, and they'll give themselves and the others away.

You might want to read the studies on Biosphere I and Biosphere II. There, you had groups of less than a dozen people who were specially trained and selected to live underground in a self-contained environment, and they failed.

How is it that you'll succeed where they failed?

I'm not convinced you understand the nature of people, or the psychology of Armageddon.

Unconvinced...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928
I may ultimately lose, but after using a huge pile of belt-fed 7.62, a huge pile of belt-fed .50bmg, a sniper here and there, and some strategically placed Claymores (and a few home-made 'devices'), I guess I deserve to lose.
I'm not impressed with your macho manliness.

You might get off a few shots, but in the end, they'll back up, regroup, find a weakness, exploit it, and then they'll be peeing on your dead body.

Maybe you should invest in a wet-suit.

Not impressed...

Mircea

Old 01-18-2012, 02:51 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeRandomPerson View Post
Then I guess there are some real bargains on Amazon right now for only $140 used and $225 brand new. Still that's an awful lot for a book.
Yes, I agree since the book is less then 2 years old. I will guess that the author had second thoughts about any reprints since none have been run.

That said, here is a link to the PDF version for those interested.........

Unintended Consequences

Old 01-18-2012, 03:37 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
They'll find it.

You under-estimate the resourcefulness and cleverness of people, especially when they are severely stressed and challenged.

And what, 15 people living underground? I guess it never donned on you that NASA spends $Thousands conducting psychological tests on candidates for its programs, because the astronauts live in isolation, even if it is just for a few days. Your group won't be able to handle it, and they'll want to get out, and they'll give themselves and the others away.

You might want to read the studies on Biosphere I and Biosphere II. There, you had groups of less than a dozen people who were specially trained and selected to live underground in a self-contained environment, and they failed.

How is it that you'll succeed where they failed?

I'm not convinced you understand the nature of people, or the psychology of Armageddon.

ASS-UMPTIONS

Nobody said anything about living underground. Wrong.

Nobody said anything about a biosphere. Wrong again.

Nobody said anything about trying to impress you. And no, they won't find all of our stuff...because it won't be there. Wrong again.

You're batting zero!

Old 01-18-2012, 05:02 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Yes, I agree since the book is less then 2 years old. I will guess that the author had second thoughts about any reprints since none have been run.

That said, here is a link to the PDF version for those interested.........

Unintended Consequences
Is there a way to get that PDF without joining FaceBook?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness