Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:30 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times

Advertisements

I've been watching the build up for this program for sometime. I don't know what some people think! doesn't anyone know what OP-SEC means!!!!Rest assured it will not help people see prepping in a new light! I predict it willl only highlight us as "redneck wackjobs" I can't for the life of me understand why someone would agree to being on this show............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 05:07 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
They'd better be really, reeeally careful about convening in Columbia, SC, and bragging about what they have in public.

There are a LOT of entitlement mavens in that area who would love to know where and what someone has....and would actually take the trouble to remember them.

Not to mention that some governments there will actively seek out "volunteers" to house and feed those escaping a disaster - hurricane prep taught them that. Some are less volunteer than others...

One of the many reasons we moved from SC!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:35 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
I hope the show does justice on letting them explain why they prep hard. The last show a few months ago was week on that. I think last show preppers were a bit unbalanced. One urban prepper I seen thinks he's gonna Gangster his way through survival with just machine guns and a custom doom buggy. lol.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:42 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I was watching a little bit. Not impressed with it, although maybe it was only that short segment that was bad. The guy who spoke about carrying a personalized survival pack and foraging for food was clueless. He had some good knowlege( maybe) about edible wild plants but otherwise seemed pretty clueless when he spoke about trading for goods and getting food.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:08 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
I was, for the most part, disappointed with the portrayal of these preppers. Could they have done anything MORE to make them look like freak shows!?! GEEZ!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I was, for the most part, disappointed with the portrayal of these preppers. Could they have done anything MORE to make them look like freak shows!?! GEEZ!
It looks to me National Geographic did the show to discredit prepper concerns and reasoning. Notice in those 2 hours there were 6 or 7 different reasons they prepped and at the end of each one of them the commentry pulled some misleading (if not totally false) figure to make the preppers look fanatical and crazy.

The show cleverly leaves the biggest most common concern (economic collapse) for the end of the show to leave viewers with a lasting impression that everything is fine.

I thought it was funny that girl who wanted to go to Mexico in a bugout situation, lol, in that case she should've prepped her spanish and how to survive on burritos with one eye open at night. She would stick out like a sore thumb.

That LA man had a very weak food plan. I think he should do a real-practise for 1 month surviving off only plants and dirty birds and fish, in LA I'd be scared of catching a disease. And he had no firearm, maybe he did but not on the show since he lives in cali.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

(Remember, JMHO)

I saw the show for the first time 2/07/12, two back-back episodes. PT Barnum would have smiled. National Geographic used to show very good programs, and this one was disappointing, to the point of being ridiculous. They made those 'preppers' all look like retards. (ignore the political incorrectness).
Testing their container-built house with a .22?
I think this is essentially a spin-off of the show 'Hoarders', but with the collections being food and a false sense of security.

(No flames please, but I got the impression that virtually every woman on that show had sufficient caloric reserves to not need to stockpile food for months, and a few of the guys didn't need to either).

Well, I watched it. I want that hour of my life back.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, but some involved in the first season are having an "Suburban Prepper's Conference" in Columbia, SC next month.

Solarchef1

One of those featured last season comments:

Doomsday Preppers, Channel Update and new Website - YouTube
Yea I follow 3 of those tubers. They're not hard to come across if you're searching preppers on youtube.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:37 PM

687 posts, read 1,377,448 times
I watched the Nat Geo show last night and couldn't help but notice that a large number of the people show were morbidly obese. These people are far more likely to die from a heart attack or diabetes than a calamity cause by the earth's magnetic fields reversing. I'm sure there is a fancy term for people who are obsessed with highly unlikely events while ignoring far more likely things. Maybe they are just trying to distract themselves from their everyday problems by imagining themselves as a central player in grandiose world events.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:47 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Maybe they are just trying to distract themselves from their everyday problems by imagining themselves as central players in grandiose world events.
We have a few people like that right here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness