U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:57 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,438,935 times

Advertisements

How many of you would define yourself as off the grid? I have a wonderful huge backup generator, but, clearly am not off the grid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:03 PM

5,146 posts, read 4,639,958 times
I love electricity and everything it does for me to be off the grid.......Although if you ask this after the schumer hits the rotateing air mover and I ready to give you another answer!!!!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,699,686 times
Not yet. I have been "practicing" doing without electricity. But practicing and doing are two different things. I'm getting very close to actually doing all the things I've been planning for a long time, though. At that point, there will be not a wire in my home. I've been back and forth on having a very small solar system for small electronic devices (a computer, music player, etc). I haven't decided yet. But as far as lighting, heat, cooking, etc, (the "biggies" needed for basic survival) there will be no electricity in the little colonial-style home at all.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:06 PM

16,166 posts, read 16,318,375 times
If I use this definition then I am Off Grid.

"Off-the-grid homes are autonomous; they do not rely on municipal water supply, sewer, natural gas, electrical power grid, or similar utility services. A true off-grid house is able to operate completely independently of all traditional public utility services."

My husband is still tweaking our system. The toughest time is in the winter. We make our own electric to run our house. The only thing we can improve upon is our propane usage. We have a propane refrigerator for the winter, my gas stove and a gas water heater that is used right now all year long. I would like to cut back on the usage but not eliminate my comforts

Old 02-16-2012, 06:09 PM

4,728 posts, read 5,391,697 times
We are off-grid. No question about it. There isn't a grid out here to be on even if we wanted to We have a few small generators (rotation/backups) and a decent battery bank with an inverter and 110v house wiring. Our electrical needs are small because we're conscious of them and conserve, so we really don't need a big system or a big generator (we can daisy chain the little ones if we need big power now and then). We're looking at RE for long-term, but wanted to spend more time here doing what we do so we would have a more accurate real-time data (rather than estimated projections) on how much we really needed and which forms and sizes would be most appropriate to meet our needs in the actual location we would be using them.

Same goes for all the other utilities. No municipal water or sewer, landline phone, or cable out here. No cell reception either. Our only "grid" connection is satellite internet. Heck, we don't even have a street, much less a street address... so we're pretty much "off the map" as well. Closest thing we have to a street address is a milemarker on the nearest (and only) road.

I think that pretty much meets most people's definition of "off-grid"

Old 02-16-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Not yet. I have been "practicing" doing without electricity. But practicing and doing are two different things. I'm getting very close to actually doing all the things I've been planning for a long time, though. At that point, there will be not a wire in my home. I've been back and forth on having a very small solar system for small electronic devices (a computer, music player, etc). I haven't decided yet. But as far as lighting, heat, cooking, etc, (the "biggies" needed for basic survival) there will be no electricity in the little colonial-style home at all.
With those goals and attitude, you can get by on a very small amount RE power. A system to provide the tiny bit that would make life a whole lot easier (power tools, etc) is very affordable to obtain and operate. You may want to reconsider zero wiring completely... don't discount bright electric light until you've tried to rebuild a carburetor with a headlamp and camp lantern or oil lamp! You can do nearly everything without electrical assistance, but it can save you a lot of time and effort that you can devote to other tasks and activities if you use it conscientiously where it provides the most benefit

Old 02-16-2012, 07:54 PM

29,990 posts, read 21,103,448 times
Missing, what do you mean by "RE power"?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 PM

For me: (RE) Renewable Energy power via solar, wind, hydro or geothermal; as opposed to (FF) Fossil Fuel power via combustion generator or coal/oil fired steam engine.

Bio-generators (wood-fired steam engines or bio-gas combustion/turbines) are sustainable energy that is somewhat renewable and certainly preferable to burning fossil fuels... but still kinda inefficient and dirty compared to naturally occurring RE that we just have to passively collect.

I don't consider nuclear power renewable or sustainable, nor is it (currently) at a homeowner scale (no Mr. Fission in our kitchens yet)

Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 PM

29,990 posts, read 21,103,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
For me: (RE) Renewable Energy ................
Thanks, I should have figured that out. Brain fart.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 PM

LOL Brain farts are responsible for global warming you know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness