Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 11:53 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times

Advertisements

The more expensive gas becomes the more available it will be. If the government steps in an limits price then gas will disappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 12:19 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Not only for those who live rural or semi-rural, but for those who need a vehicle to get to work, how is this gas thing going to play our when the SHTF?

Where is the safest type of place to live, if gas is unaffordable or cannot for any reason be delivered? Also, gas pumps require electricity...and in power outages there is none....
It's hard to get a straight answer to this topic since most will tell of small personal victories that don't address the larger issues of the topic. So in the end you get nothing of worth to resolve the topics central issues.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Who needs to go anywhere if food, water & shelter is readily available where you are????

Not if ^^^you are the ones needing the food delivered from me.
Not from the city mind you.

Farm you see... even feed our own from our "feed" & veg & fruit farm.
Farm started even before gas was needed via modern machinery.
And plus there are always horses & old day plows that can help with crop harvesting... the Amish way. No problem there.

Old ways = Gas... but another bogus modern human needs.
Well then, you are in good shape. Others?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:41 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
^^^If you are in this forum, you should know that answer.
In any SHTF situation... no gas, electricity, communications etc. is one of the least of our worries.
Especially if one is already prepared for no water & food.

It is not for the "others" we prep for.
I prep for me & my family... you prep for you & yours... and do not expect any handouts from others in the especially desperate times... thus we have the guns to protect what we worked so hard for.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 AM

212 posts, read 320,389 times
NOBODY is going to any sort of job if shtf. the DEFINITION of shtf is that the $100 bill is toilet paper, man. who is goign to work for nothing? Who will be able to NOT just hide and protect his loved ones and his vital gear? NObody, that's who! if this is not the conditions you see, it's not shtf. it's just a local problem, one which needs no more prep than some gold, cash, water filter and camping supplies and a ccw pistol. MOVE from such a bad area, simple.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Add...
In US, we probably do have another few hundred years of gas right underneath out feet.
It is just that we are hand tied by our own government who is "indebted" & indebted via favors to mid-east or something so they do not have the incentive to drill "in house".... also if & when the government do let the US drill in-house... we probably would have to export what gas we have to sell to China sugar daddy for "cheap".

Go back to the "source" of the problems of $5 or more gas or when it becomes unavailable to the public...
Go ask your "uncle sam" why he the government is so intent to just kill off or starve off the US citizens (bleed our own blood {"money", "food", "gas" etc... export on the cheap to some country else} dry?)????

Hence why my answer... if you do not expect & at a point cannot "trust" (that trust we so lost thanks to the feds, the economy, our monetary note etc.) your own government to be able to protect your land... you have to start relying on YOURSELF to protect what is yours!!!

Do not, I repeat.... Do not put that trust on "others".

Old 03-05-2012, 04:05 PM

253 posts, read 557,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Nobody lives in canada and friggin england is rats nest of 500 yr old cities with the only wealthy elite liveing in any country side thats left....You inner city types will figure out your public transit isn''t worth sheit when diesel goes to 6 bucks and you can't get any food delivered there.......
Wow that was enlightening, your dribble has left me speechless

Old 03-05-2012, 06:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I think you need to remember, even when the USSR fell, things went on quite normally in many ways. So I'm not thinking in terms of Road Warrior, more like the Great Depression. Food lines, massive unemployment in the cities, living in crates and boxes. But even during the Depression, 75% or more were employed. My guess is that we will eventually get hit with massive inflation, and as a result, gasoline, food, and other basic commodities will get expensive, because of the devaluation of the US Dollar.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:44 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
When the USSR dissolved and split apart, the 15 newly independent republics went through heavy turmoil for about a decade. Some of them like Ukraine and Bylorussia are still in turmoil. Others have gotten somewhat better like the Baltic states (Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia). Mother Russia went crashing down in the late 1990s when the price of oil dropped to the floor - I think it got down to the $20 something per barrel in that era. Everyone knows that Russia is the world's #1 oil producer, right?

Here is why Russia made it through an almost total economic collapse without a complete breakdown in social order. First, Russia has been through a lot of miserable times in the recent past. Seven decades of rule by the Communist Party got people used to standing in line for whatever reason, and they also learned not to panic if certain things were not always available. They had a lifetime of training in learning to live without.

Second, people in Russia in the 1990s were living in housing that in the vast majority of cases was not under a burden of private loans. At that time most people paid absurdly low rents to the state for housing, or had taken ownership of their housing by buying it outright from the state. Even with general economic turmoil, people were not losing their primary housing.

Related to urban housing, the steam plants that pump hot steam to apartment buildings did not shut down. In many Russian cities, large steam plants function with a city wide steam pipe grid in lieu of having a separate boiler or heating system in every building or every home. The steam plants stayed up and running, and nobody froze to death. Oh yeah, the steam heat at the time was very cheap, almost a pittance.

Public transit did not shut down. The subways and buses ran just as always, and remained very inexpensive. That was a big deal because the majority of people in Russia at that time were dependant on public transit.

Of course, all was not great in Russia during and after the economic collapse. Some people got though it with a bottle of Vodka. Russia has one of the average lowest life spans of any developed nation. I just happen to think that economic turmoil, a shortage of gasoline or super-spike in the price of gasoline is liable to cause a lot more social problems in the US than what Russia went through during the late 1990s. Our population is not accustomed to dealing with hardships like what Russia went through in the late 1990s.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The biggest problem with high oil prices is far more than just getting to work, everything made using oil products, use oil products for energy, or use petroleum for transporting merchandise, the costs of production go up and are passed on to the consumers.

I live 6 miles from work, and could walk or bike, it just takes longer to get there, but I have no control over costs of things I can't produce at home.

It is more than just the cell phone or cable bill, clothing, repairs, food, everything goes up when the oil price goes up.

As for using old cooking oil as a diesel replacement, when you have a lot of people looking for it and using it, it becomes a marketable product and instead of a waste product you can get for free, suddenly it becomes as expensive as diesel.

It will be a tough situation for everybody no matter if they drive or not. The impact of high oil costs is passed around.
The price of oil is going up (as is the price of food) because we use a fiat currency and the money supply is continually being expanded by the banksters at the Federal Reserve Bank and therefore the purchasing power of the dollar is decreasing and it takes more dollars to buy what used to take many fewer dollars to buy. If you are paying for gas with a non fiat currency such as a ounce of silver (or an old silver dollar) you can buy 9 or 10 gallons of gas because silver can't be produced at the rate Federal Reserve notes aka dollar bills are printed. Their printing money the way they do is indirect stealing from "We the People".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness