Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:23 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think that part is obvious to most. Too bad you appear to have missed my point completely.

1. The best way to avoid a gunfight is not to be there in the first place.
2. Identifying a threat's immenent ability to use lethal force is at the center of any defense in the use of lethal force even in states with "stand your ground" laws.
3. Those who go off "half-cocked" without clearly identifying their perceived threat to clearly have lethal capability (example: pointing cell phone rather than firearm) endanger the "stand your ground" laws for everyone. While legally the duty to retreat has been removed if one has the ability to retreat this is usually the better option.

Again, I am not an attorney nor am I a keyboard rambo. With freedom comes responsibility.

Learn from the examples given by the posters in this thread who have relayed their encounters where they called for LEO assistance and see what you may have done in a similar situation, do the same with news stories, play out scenarios in your mind as what could have been done better. Do you know multiple routes home, the location of LE stations along your routes, etc.... ?

Stay safe & watch six.
Your advice along these lines is right on target!

We all have the right to protect ourselves by whatever means is possible. According to our District Attorney you will not be prosecuted for using deadly force against someone who has broken into your house. All circumstances are different, I've thought many times what I would do if confronted by a bad guy who had just broken into my home. I've always thought I would use deadly force only if I was in fear of losing my own life and could prove that fear in a court of law. Shooting someone can't be taken lightly, even if they are breaking the law and stealing from you. You can replace what they steal, but you can't replace a life that is taken. The job of the police is to come to the crime scene, take notes, and draw a caulk line around any bodies, and try to determine what happened. It is your job to protect yourself so you are not the one laying inside the caulk line. If you don't own a firearm and know how to protect yourself, why don't you? In the 1940's I bet millions of Jews wished they had a firearm. As times get tougher and money to pay police is less plentiful there will be longer response times by the police. If our economy collapses, I don't look for many police officers to stay on the job for no pay. That being the case, you will be on your own. Know what the law is in your locale, and give some thought to how you can best protect yourself and your family. Sometimes we don't get a second chance to correct any mistakes we make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Glad it turned out OK and that you now understand that the job of the police, despite their motto, is NOT to protect anyone, but to collect evidence after the fact, investigate and perhaps make an arrest some day.

Protecting oneself and family is a personal responsibility.
Does that mean I can shoot the bad guys? Or am I supposed to counsel them?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:10 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
My teenage son likes beating the crap out of me. I've struck back---and wound up with CPS all over me. WTH was I supposed to do---stand there and take it? Essentially, yes!

I'm not supposed to strike a "minor child" although this kid is 6'4" and 200+ pounds. I'm supposed to "retreat to the nearest safe place and call police" Well, what if he has me trapped in a corner? Stand there and take it until I can reach a phone, then say, oh, wait a sec while I call 911? That's exactly what happened a few weeks ago, ds had me cornered and was screamin in my face, raising his fists at me. I managed to hook his ankle with my foot, causing him to trip, now I have a charge of child abuse because he broke his arm while he fell.

BTWE, I am disabled, but no agency seems to give a $hit about that, just oh, the wicked mommy, hurt her little boy! Oh, but this kid has inflicted bodily harm on me, nothing done....I get the impression cops think its cute!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:05 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
1. The best way to avoid a gunfight is not to be there in the first place.
Granted, but that isn't always an option when THEY come to YOU.

Quote:
2. Identifying a threat's immenent ability to use lethal force is at the center of any defense in the use of lethal force even in states with "stand your ground" laws.
If you're more concerned with laws than your life, yes. In the time it takes to identify the exact nature of the threat, you've already lost the initiative, the "jump", on the bad guys. That's why you have cops shooting people who pull out their cell phones - because they're not willing to take that chance. When that adrenaline-dump takes place, you're hardly in a position to notice details.

Quote:
3. Those who go off "half-cocked" without clearly identifying their perceived threat to clearly have lethal capability (example: pointing cell phone rather than firearm) endanger the "stand your ground" laws for everyone. While legally the duty to retreat has been removed if one has the ability to retreat this is usually the better option.
Usually, but not always. There are times when taking the tactical lead is called for.

Quote:
Learn from the examples given by the posters in this thread who have relayed their encounters where they called for LEO assistance and see what you may have done in a similar situation, do the same with news stories, play out scenarios in your mind as what could have been done better. Do you know multiple routes home, the location of LE stations along your routes, etc.... ?

Stay safe & watch six.
Excellent advice!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:20 PM

21 posts, read 31,257 times
Default police-farce

3 rapes, 2 assaults, and a knife at my throat when i was five. i watched my father almost kill two cops trying to get to the man (i never knew cops could fly he overhanded one into the wall) i then had to pull him out of a line-up. they turned him loose 3 days later. he sat and waved to me with the knife he held at my throat.
any one messes with me or my daughter i will track him down blow his balls off, tell him why and then blow his face off.
they do not protect me I do.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:59 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My teenage son likes beating the crap out of me. I've struck back---and wound up with CPS all over me. WTH was I supposed to do---stand there and take it? Essentially, yes!

I'm not supposed to strike a "minor child" although this kid is 6'4" and 200+ pounds. I'm supposed to "retreat to the nearest safe place and call police" Well, what if he has me trapped in a corner? Stand there and take it until I can reach a phone, then say, oh, wait a sec while I call 911? That's exactly what happened a few weeks ago, ds had me cornered and was screamin in my face, raising his fists at me. I managed to hook his ankle with my foot, causing him to trip, now I have a charge of child abuse because he broke his arm while he fell.

BTWE, I am disabled, but no agency seems to give a $hit about that, just oh, the wicked mommy, hurt her little boy! Oh, but this kid has inflicted bodily harm on me, nothing done....I get the impression cops think its cute!

No no your son needs to be gone! I'm so sorry this is not a good situation for you.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:32 PM

12 posts, read 37,612 times
If I was unable to bust him up myself, I'd assemble some money, a reallly great disguise, and go hire it done. Nobody is laying a hand on me, ever.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:44 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1717Guy View Post
When seconds count the police are minutes away.

or in his case, more than an hour away.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:55 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
Depending on the laws of your area taking the law into your own hands just may put you behind bars.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:42 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Depending on the laws of your area taking the law into your own hands just may put you behind bars.
And it just may be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness