U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:29 PM

12 posts, read 4,714 times

Advertisements

If I ever have serious, non-return to vigorous health issues, I will suicide. I am not interested in such a life and I don't see why anyone else would be. It's revolting, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 02:46 PM

4,980 posts, read 4,005,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lower View Post
If I ever have serious, non-return to vigorous health issues, I will suicide. I am not interested in such a life and I don't see why anyone else would be. It's revolting, actually.
Vigorous health doesn't mean the same thing at seventy that it did at twenty. We adapt as we age. It's preferable to the alternative.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:04 PM

4,728 posts, read 5,278,904 times
Back on topic - in addition to affordable land, affordable taxes, reasonable regulations and fees, available water, reasonable resource and land rights, and affordable/available healthcare... any other things to consider when looking for best places to prepare?

Old 04-08-2012, 03:20 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,393,988 times
The climate should be mild in winter, unless you have a woodlot sufficiently big to replace the wood taken from it for fuel. Mild enough so that it doesn't often fall below the freezing point indoors. Make sure you have timber rights.

Have strong, healthy young family members to cut and haul the wood. A few people can keep up that kind of work for all of a long life, but not many.

Locate within traveling distance of a doctor and dentist.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:42 PM

4,728 posts, read 5,278,904 times
And, similarly, the climate should be mild in summer, unless you have sufficient shading and ample water, with water rights, and an affordable way to access and transport that water.

3+ months of hot summer can be just as much problem as 3+ months of cold winter; and hauling water is just as difficult as hauling wood.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:56 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,422,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Have strong, healthy young family members to cut and haul the wood. A few people can keep up that kind of work for all of a long life, but not many.
Haven't we done this to death already?

I spend FIFTEEN DAYS doing firewood a year, and I live in AK. Look I understand you seem to think that it's hell on earth, but it's really not, and it's not a few people either, there's 70 year olds here doing their firewood today, they're not young and healthy, many are old and knackered.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:02 PM

21,794 posts, read 28,238,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

I spend FIFTEEN DAYS doing firewood a year, and I live in AK. Look I understand you seem to think that it's hell on earth, but it's really not, and it's not a few people either, there's 70 year olds here doing their firewood today, they're not young and healthy, many are old and knackered.
I agree.

Where you are is certainly a bit cooler than here in Maine. But in this area collecting firewood is not a fulltime job.

Perhaps folks down in the deep South need more?

Old 04-08-2012, 04:03 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,393,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

I'm sure you have a handful of anecdotal stories about individuals, but most people need to be exceptionally healthy and strong to cut wood without power tools, and to haul the wood by hand (unless one is lucky enough to have horses and cart or sledge, chains, etc).

Old 04-08-2012, 04:31 PM

2,403 posts, read 3,633,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
And, similarly, the climate should be mild in summer, unless you have sufficient shading and ample water, with water rights, and an affordable way to access and transport that water.

3+ months of hot summer can be just as much problem as 3+ months of cold winter; and hauling water is just as difficult as hauling wood.
WOW! I have to guess then that my daugher bought the Ideal place in southern Missouri, 27 acres mostly flat crossed fenced pasture land, a good stream running through it with a nice fishing pond 100' X 200' in the middle of it,and a good deep well for domestic use , nice line of older tree's for fire wood, 40' X 80' barn for the animals, and a machine shop! , I can fix anything now. All I need to do is get out there and put in a R V pad and I can also call it home after i get through digging the tornado shelter !

Old 04-08-2012, 04:39 PM

6,686 posts, read 5,543,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Back on topic - in addition to affordable land, affordable taxes, reasonable regulations and fees, available water, reasonable resource and land rights, and affordable/available healthcare... any other things to consider when looking for best places to prepare?
It's worth mentioning again that if there were a major "event" that caused social unrest or refugees fleeing the cities, a farmstead in the track of the refugees is as good as gone as soon as something happens, even if it is a fair distance from the big cities. To prepare for this aspect, one has to look at the likely routes such individuals (refugees, marauders, thugs, etc) would use--the path of least resistance for them over hundreds of miles. After reading a book that was suggested on another thread, my eyes have been opened a bit more to this; I understood the concept before, but hadn't considered it well enough and hadn't taken certain factors into consideration. I'm tweaking my plans because of it. Of course, maybe there never will be "flight from the cities," but it's just one less thing to worry about if you take it into account and one more factor that can increase the probability of survival in a survival situation. But it's a bit more complex than most folks think it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness