Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM

941 posts, read 1,803,918 times

Advertisements

Missing ... cardio.. you're so right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 04:53 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
True. I have been gaining weight the past couple of years, since we moved to the farm - good healthy food will do that. But - I also exercise; not just walking constantly in my job, but lots of physical activity; gardening, running up and down stairs, carrying feed, forking hay, etc. Yesterday, DH had the 4-wheeler out where he was working on it; he wanted to put it back in the garage (uphill) but the engine was apart and wouldn't crank, of course. I got at the front, leaned in, and ran it into the garage without even thinking about it.

Holding a stubborn horse or cow at the end of a lead, roping a calf, dragging it down to bind its legs, tag, medicate or steer it - all takes a lot of upper body strength. I am one of a lot of 'grannies' out here who doesn't have that loose flapping upper arm - I have defined muscles.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:08 PM

Sounds like you gained muscle, not fat

Old 04-27-2012, 12:34 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
A good article in Mother Earth News explaining grid-connected PV.

Grid-connected vs. Off-grid in a nutshell:
Both systems require a panel array, an inverter, and a service panel/breaker box. The inverter selected between the two systems may be different (grid-tie stresses 60 hertz conditioning, and off-grid stresses charge control), but they are comparable and some inverters do it all.

Grid-tie systems use the grid as the storage method (i.e. the "batteries") and allow you to pull power back from the grid when your production is less than your needs. Additional equipment necessary are the disconnect switches and the meter, but you don't have to purchase batteries. Grid-tie systems may also require permits, inspections and professional installation (therefore more $$ than just the equipment). The two drawbacks to grid-tie systems 1) if the grid goes down you have no storage without batteries if you don't have a backup source, and 2) continued utility monitoring and fees.

Off-grid systems use standalone batteries as the storage method, so if the grid goes down you still have power. You do not need the grid-tie components, but you will need a battery bank. The size, type, and cost of the batteries is entirely dependent on your needs... several high amp hour and maintenance free batteries can cost nearly as much as the panels. Standalone PV systems are fairly easy to install DIY with rudimentary wiring and handyman experience. The two drawbacks to a standalone system 1) If your production falls below your needs you will need a backup power source, and 2) batteries have a 10-15 year life span and will need to be replaced.

Both systems can have comparable costs depending on the local installation requirements of grid-tie systems and the battery bank you choose. In both cases, it is wise to have a backup power source; and in grid-tie systems, it is wise to have a battery bank capable of storing enough amp hours for overnight use. Note that the utility company may require additional switches and cut-offs if you also have a backup generator or battery bank in the grid-tie system, as well as dictating the type and capacity allowed.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:09 PM

Can you describe a bit about the typical types of articles in Mother earth news... (sounds like a pretty interesting find)

Old 04-27-2012, 07:28 PM

Mother Earth News offers a ton of self-sufficient info (from soil building to renewable energy), and has a fairly strong green/hippy/crunchy focus.

Their sister publication, GRIT, is geared more specifically toward homesteads and small farms (more rural), and it's not quite as "left-leaning".

Old 04-28-2012, 12:52 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Another one is Backwoods Home Magazine. It's a bit hippyish at times too--and libertarian for sure--but often has some interesting stuff.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:30 AM

Backwoods Home is... well... backwoods It's pretty targeted to rural/remote, mostly off-grid, homesteading etc. I sure love the practical/lifestyle columnists... Jackie Clay is my heroine! Some of the more political columnists can get a bit ranty, but that's ok if you're into that sort of thing... I tend to skip them since they stress me out LOL.

Countryside and Hobby Farms (and its sister pubs) are other good mags for homestead-type preppers.

MyFoodStorageCookbook is a great blog that discusses food storage planning and cooking, including recipes for solar cooking and pantry meals from food storage ingredients. She goes into great detail about devising your 3-month/100-day menus and meal plan so you more easily track and stock your storage inventory. I particularly like this blog because she's not trying to sell you anything, unlike some of the other cooking and food storage blogs.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:19 AM

I think I'll be making the trek out to the city (B&N Bookstore) to check out some good magazines... wait! maybe I'll go over to the tractor supply store and browse through their magazine section first. I'm thinking some alternative,
safety home/shelter.. Icf likely.. but the articles will hoist my inspiration for sure.

theses suggestions are wonderful. I am thankful for the time you have taken.
with appreciation.
Courage

Old 04-28-2012, 01:55 PM

I often "window shop" at the Tractor Supply and Feed store. You'd be amazed at the amount of good info and gear they have for homestead-type preppers even if most of the resources are geared toward larger farms. In most cases, the store managers and sales clerks won't discriminate against you for being only a self-sufficient homestead rather than a proper large farm, and they can give you all sorts of insight and information about how to do things on your scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness