U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:27 AM

75,325 posts, read 36,498,984 times

Advertisements

I'll take my chances living out in the country. Closest town is 5K.
If there are riots there's not much to riot about in my town...it's either the Dollar Store or DQ.
We don't have any big box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 08:31 AM

8,458 posts, read 2,796,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I received these things in email just yesterday -

hypocrisy.........
We Are Not Moving (http://www.bitoffun.com/video_vault/we-are-not-moving.html - broken link)

Burning - Two bodies found dead and burned in Detroit

Burning, Part 2- Thirteen-year-old Allen Coon set afire

I think that people are being driven and encouraged to engage in civil unrest as well as selfish intent by various forces, and I don't see an election year making any difference to them.

For the past several weeks I have felt a nagging, grinding feeling deep in my gut of "something's coming" - and apparently I'm not alone. Yesterday two different friends with two different ages (19 and 56) and from totally different walks of life posted two different end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it, religious-themed videos on their FB pages - totally unexpected from either source, as they are usually happy-go-lucky, non-religious folk. The fact that neither received any comments on these posts from their large circles of friends, who usually post lists of rapid-fire comments and conversations, even as of this morning, speaks a lot more to what people are thinking/feeling.

Glad I'm prepping - and in the middle of nowhere. If something explosive does happen, I'm well away from it.
Yes. That feeling is there. It feels big. Could be good overall though. Fingers crossed.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:46 AM

428 posts, read 345,110 times
Default Who I want for neighbors

I hope we will not have any problems this fall. Post-Katrina my neighborhood changed. My self-reliant neighbors left. The newcomers believe in waiting for instructions from the official authorities in charge. I doubt many of them have guns, or know how to use them.

We have a rather large group of people in New Orleans who have a dependent mentality. They feel they are owed. At our town meeting, some of these people attended and let us know that the Superdome situation will not reoccur. If they are trapped, they will cross the Crescent City Connection, the Twin span and the Causeway bridges in mass - with guns ready. I was told by one that it was 'unfair' that people in the country wouldn't share with them.

If we have another CAT 3 or above, I will leave.

By the way, I would rather have Zimmerman living in my neighborhood than Martin.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 AM

349 posts, read 326,871 times
Wow, that's a scary situation, Countrysue. I know nothing of what's going on there (pardon my ignorance, I'm far north!) but I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like dealing with hurricane, flooding, and then the aftermath- people uprooted, looting, social unrest...

I would leave too. :\

Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 PM

2,173 posts, read 1,147,351 times
Why wait? Use this:
State and County QuickFacts
To figure out the safest areas to live in.
There is one datapoint that seems to follow along where the safer locations are. I won't come right out and say what it is, but it has something to do with an elephant being in the room.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM

5,581 posts, read 8,297,013 times
What would happen if SHTF and nobody had guns?

The scariest thing in my mind, is that S will HTF and all these people are going to be huddled-up or hiding scared and trigger happy. That is no way to live.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:15 AM

11,711 posts, read 9,972,929 times
If the spooky reaction to this 4 year grueling, relentless recession is any indication of how people will react to anything more dire, says something!

Particularly living in the "Detroit of the West"/Las Vegas. Why hasn't my house been invaded a half-dozen times? On my late 2am walks in the neighborhood, why haven't I not been mugged a dozen times? Why hasn't my car been stolen? Why do I not hear gun blasts going off in my neighborhood throughout the month? And with all the desperation/despair in this city!

Spooky, spooky, s-p-o-o-k-y!

Our Founding Fathers, and particularly our braver Founding Mothers, would be spooked as well and, perhaps, shaming us. Home of the Brave where art thou!!!

Last edited by tijlover; 05-10-2012 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-11-2012, 06:29 AM

828 posts, read 808,106 times
With the commotion over the Zimmerman/Martin case I hope they hold off on it till this winter [when it's too cold to be out]. I've heard from many blacks in my neighborhood if Z gets off there will be hell to pay. ONE of em told me HE'D be down to see ME!! [THAT'S OK I got something for him that's one size fits most ] IF the trial is in the summer and a verdict is found I'm thinking it won't matter what verdict it is there will be hell to pay. The New Black Panthers and the race baiters Al and Jessie. won't be happy till a race war DOES start.

Meanwhile Prep, Prepare, and Pray!!! It's gonna be a bumpy ride!!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:15 AM

349 posts, read 326,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
With the commotion over the Zimmerman/Martin case I hope they hold off on it till this winter [when it's too cold to be out]. I've heard from many blacks in my neighborhood if Z gets off there will be hell to pay. ONE of em told me HE'D be down to see ME!! [THAT'S OK I got something for him that's one size fits most ] IF the trial is in the summer and a verdict is found I'm thinking it won't matter what verdict it is there will be hell to pay. The New Black Panthers and the race baiters Al and Jessie. won't be happy till a race war DOES start.

Meanwhile Prep, Prepare, and Pray!!! It's gonna be a bumpy ride!!

This is worth saying and repeating. If a race war breaks out ANYWHERE, it'll be wildfire.

Hopefully it won't (c'mon, we got a black president for crying out loud! after how many years of stale old white guys, geez.. thats gotta show some progress, right?) and with any luck that entire Z/M mess will be swept under the rug.

Maybe a celebrity will do a stint in jail, or get busted with drugs, or go off on a tangent like Charlie Sheen did to distract the news media from covering the Z/M trial. Unlikely, but one can hope. My REAL hope is that people tune out and turn off their damn TVs in general.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 AM

828 posts, read 808,106 times
Lindsey? Lindsey Lohan where ARRRREE YOU!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness