U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 PM

15,138 posts, read 6,416,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post

granny, I was looking at a site a couple of years ago about some guy that was selling his bug out bag for millionaires for 30,000 apiece. he was having a hard time keeping them in stock. I know it included about 300 dollars worth of supplies and even allunimum credit cards. it just goes to show that some people will always be fools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 11:16 PM

4,728 posts, read 5,285,581 times
A more recent article (5/29/12) states that Larry Hall has sold all the units in SurvivalCondo and is starting a waiting list.....

His site does state that the purchase price of $1m for a half-floor unit, or $2m for a full-floor unit includes a 5-year food package per person (assuming per projected capacity not actual capacity) along with special training and equipment, and access to communal amenities and communications facilities. And, apparently, one of the residents is a dentist/orthodontist so their onsite medical facility has one member of staff at least

Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 AM

4,919 posts, read 10,463,625 times
and with only $50 in common hardware store material, you too can disable a bunker forcing everyone out into the open. Not going to do much good when your whole survival is based on a secured homelike shelter that either becomes your tomb or a whooping waste of money as you hightail it into the surrounding area.

Humm, why spend my money on a supplies when except for the largest and mosy sophisticated ones, most others will be rendered uninhabitable to its occupants within 24 hours? Just take their stuff when they have to leave the safety and find themself naked in the open.

Have to revised by survival pack to include less "survival gear" and a bit more from Ace Hardware......

Old 06-07-2012, 12:39 AM

4,988 posts, read 4,016,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
and with only $50 in common hardware store material, you too can disable a bunker forcing everyone out into the open. Not going to do much good when your whole survival is based on a secured homelike shelter that either becomes your tomb or a whooping waste of money as you hightail it into the surrounding area.

Humm, why spend my money on a supplies when except for the largest and mosy sophisticated ones, most others will be rendered uninhabitable to its occupants within 24 hours? Just take their stuff when they have to leave the safety and find themself naked in the open.

Have to revised by survival pack to include less "survival gear" and a bit more from Ace Hardware......
So speaketh the bitter 99 percenter. Rich people didn't become or stay rich by being stupid.

My concern in living there for a lifetime would be a possible revolt of employees. Jerry Ahern describes the descendants of group project of this nature one of his Survivalist series of novels.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:17 AM

8,569 posts, read 8,784,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
A more recent article (5/29/12) states that Larry Hall has sold all the units in SurvivalCondo and is starting a waiting list.....

His site does state that the purchase price of $1m for a half-floor unit, or $2m for a full-floor unit includes a 5-year food package per person (assuming per projected capacity not actual capacity) along with special training and equipment, and access to communal amenities and communications facilities. And, apparently, one of the residents is a dentist/orthodontist so their onsite medical facility has one member of staff at least

This is the swankiest one I've seen advertised. Vivos 8 Private Underground Shelter System

Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 AM

4,728 posts, read 5,285,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
This is the swankiest one I've seen advertised. Vivos 8 Private Underground Shelter System
I discussed some logistical concerns with the Vivos shelters in another thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/23492288-post23.html

The SurvivalCondo in this article is fully equipped with all the sustainable and renewable systems (food, water, power, sanitation, etc), as well as comms and adequate storage. AND each individual condo unit is private and secure, it's not an over-populated dormitory arrangement. The designer at least appears to have some brains and foresight in those respects.

If I were bunker-minded, with a cool mil or two in my pocket, and didn't mind relocating... I'd definitely consider one of the better silo upgrades to most of the other shelters I've seen advertised.

But I don't think I could live cooped up in a hole with other people. I might be able to handle the people if I had space to get away, or handle the hole if there weren't any people... but all together? EEEEEEEKKKKK Run Away!!!

Old 06-07-2012, 03:22 AM

7,917 posts, read 4,299,806 times
Looks like it would be a nice place to be, if "The Day After" scenario occurred.
The Day After - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-07-2012, 03:58 AM

8,569 posts, read 8,784,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I discussed some logistical concerns with the Vivos shelters in another thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/23492288-post23.html

The SurvivalCondo in this article is fully equipped with all the sustainable and renewable systems (food, water, power, sanitation, etc), as well as comms and adequate storage. AND each individual condo unit is private and secure, it's not an over-populated dormitory arrangement. The designer at least appears to have some brains and foresight in those respects.

If I were bunker-minded, with a cool mil or two in my pocket, and didn't mind relocating... I'd definitely consider one of the better silo upgrades to most of the other shelters I've seen advertised.

But I don't think I could live cooped up in a hole with other people. I might be able to handle the people if I had space to get away, or handle the hole if there weren't any people... but all together? EEEEEEEKKKKK Run Away!!!
I know. Imagine what it would be like if the Norwalk virus hit like it always seems to hit various cruise ships. At least on a cruise ship you can get off the ship especially when the cruise is over and get away from the diseased people but not if you are all stuck underground for months or years at a time.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:47 AM

15,138 posts, read 6,416,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post

ever been in a missle silo? they are meant to be cut off completely with no outside commuications, supplies, water or air.
you might think you can cut it off with stuff from ace hardware, but i think you will still be trying to get in or get them out while they are safe and sound inside.

it isnt a spot for me even if i could afford it, but to those that can, i dont really care.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:20 AM

33,592 posts, read 28,777,659 times
Staying alive is not the same as living. I prefer living to surviving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness