Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 07:43 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
But best, or worst, states, let's actually discuss...

Alaska;
PROS
Wildlife that can be eaten
Sparsely populated for less human enemies
Firearms laws make pre-preparation a little easier
CONS
Hell freezingly cold
Bears that can eat you

Any City;
PROS
Uh...lot's ov cover...?
CONS
You'll need it...

You really don't know much about Alaska do you? Bears seldom attack humans and the state is so diverse in its geography there are plenty of areas where he'll doesn't freeze over. By far southeast Alaska, a temperate rain forest, would be the best area in the United States for the pepper/survivalist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 08:30 PM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You really don't know much about Alaska do you? Bears seldom attack humans and the state is so diverse in its geography there are plenty of areas where he'll doesn't freeze over. By far southeast Alaska, a temperate rain forest, would be the best area in the United States for the pepper/survivalist.
So peppers grow well in southeast Alaska?

Kidding. Very common spelling misteak here...

Old 01-02-2018, 12:06 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Why are the Dakota's a better choice than say Nebraska, Kansas or minnesota(not near minneapolis)

I don't know much about the plains so I'm curious to,learn more
As Chris noted, population density, but certainly there are parts in all three that would be comparable. If the population was gone, I'd likely say Minnesota as there's more fresh water points, the farmland is better, there's more timber, but there's a much higher population density.

A farm is basically about as self sufficient as you can hope to get as an individual. A farm in a depopulated county really can stop caring about any law. There's literally no enforcement, now or at any other time. Once upon a time motorcycle games would prey on these little towns because of this. The towns called one another. When the gang came for our little town, everyone armed (I was a kid) and marched toward the bar. The gang fled. It didn't return.

That minute man milita stuff wasn't history books, that's in living memory. SD fought the Feds (and lost, but they still fought) over allowing near beer for 18 year olds. Nearby Montana has long found the minimum prosecution necessary for their Federal speed limits. Even in this election, the very red state saw enough voters go vote just to spoil their ballot to deny one of their electorals to Trump as nobody else was running. Yes, they are of course going to go red, but they didn't like him and wanted to send a message. When populists propose something that they can ridicule people with for not voting for, they'll pass it and give it a budget of $1. For many years, they'd either jail criminals or let them "escape" with a one way bus ticket to Los Angeles and an understanding that within the State, they shoot escaped prisoners.

It's a very polite and God fearing country, a bit rigid and the naivete may be slow to recognize danger at first, but don't underestimate their ability to pull together at a moment's notice when a fraud is found, or the quiet options that remain undiscussed but very much still on the table. There's no FEMA coming, they're never coming, it's up to the people there and now. That's a culture worth having if the SHTF.

Contrast that with this area....where Google offered to give the internet to everyone for free and finally gave up after the county couldn't decide if that was a good thing or a bad thing. Our town created their own Coop and laid its own fiber....for a couple hundred people!

Next time a disaster hits that area....tune in and see what the people do. It's not a hide in the hills and have a ridiculous arsenal while hiding place...albeit my neighbor back home does have a couple hundred thousand rounds of ammo... Anyway...just check it out. You might be surprised that there's still places like that around.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:57 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
As Chris noted, population density, but certainly there are parts in all three that would be comparable. If the population was gone, I'd likely say Minnesota as there's more fresh water points, the farmland is better, there's more timber, but there's a much higher population density.

A farm is basically about as self sufficient as you can hope to get as an individual. A farm in a depopulated county really can stop caring about any law. There's literally no enforcement, now or at any other time. Once upon a time motorcycle games would prey on these little towns because of this. The towns called one another. When the gang came for our little town, everyone armed (I was a kid) and marched toward the bar. The gang fled. It didn't return.

That minute man milita stuff wasn't history books, that's in living memory. SD fought the Feds (and lost, but they still fought) over allowing near beer for 18 year olds. Nearby Montana has long found the minimum prosecution necessary for their Federal speed limits. Even in this election, the very red state saw enough voters go vote just to spoil their ballot to deny one of their electorals to Trump as nobody else was running. Yes, they are of course going to go red, but they didn't like him and wanted to send a message. When populists propose something that they can ridicule people with for not voting for, they'll pass it and give it a budget of $1. For many years, they'd either jail criminals or let them "escape" with a one way bus ticket to Los Angeles and an understanding that within the State, they shoot escaped prisoners.

It's a very polite and God fearing country, a bit rigid and the naivete may be slow to recognize danger at first, but don't underestimate their ability to pull together at a moment's notice when a fraud is found, or the quiet options that remain undiscussed but very much still on the table. There's no FEMA coming, they're never coming, it's up to the people there and now. That's a culture worth having if the SHTF.

Contrast that with this area....where Google offered to give the internet to everyone for free and finally gave up after the county couldn't decide if that was a good thing or a bad thing. Our town created their own Coop and laid its own fiber....for a couple hundred people!

Next time a disaster hits that area....tune in and see what the people do. It's not a hide in the hills and have a ridiculous arsenal while hiding place...albeit my neighbor back home does have a couple hundred thousand rounds of ammo... Anyway...just check it out. You might be surprised that there's still places like that around.

Thank you

Does this description apply to both N and S dakota? Or only specific areas of them?

Any towns or small cities to look into?

How accepting are the locals of people who aren't from around there?

Old 01-02-2018, 12:30 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
In 1981 I met my Dw and we agreed on a common life goal, which included an off-grid farm as self-sufficient as possible. That was when we started making a list of what we needed, and for 20 years we searched for a place that fit all our needs. In 2005 we settled on Maine.

Now to folks who say 'what about the growing season', I see people here with 5-acre gardens, and they grow enough to feed their families AND they sell the surplus at market earning enough to financially support their families. These are not big commercial or corporate farms, many of them might not even own a tractor. But they are farming for a living.

To me there is no 'better' method of prepping than this.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Thank you

Does this description apply to both N and S dakota? Or only specific areas of them?

Any towns or small cities to look into?

How accepting are the locals of people who aren't from around there?
I don't know ND as well, but I can't imagine it would be much different. Culture will vary based on the population culture of the town. Not all are the same. The fit will largely depend on how well you can assimilate, be social and not go on about how much better x and y were where you came from. Being able to show that you can truly be handy is generally a plus for the guys, which is where you should start. Have a couple drinks, but don't get drunk. Given expected ages, being married is a plus. Family men have a bit of built in credibility, especially if their children are well mannered and civilized. Going to church is a plus, but other religions are acceptable. Belonging to a place of worship means you can function in a group. Seeing an opportunity to help and doing it, but not crusading on some tangent. Polite, factual and succinct. You can hold a job and are reliable. You can bring the braggart out once in awhile to match up against someone, but for the most part you are humble.

Basically, are you a contributor, or an idiot or some scheming ******* with their own agenda. How do you handle disagreements? Everyone wants a deal, but do you cheat others? Do you flaunt your wealth? Does your story make sense?

It's a trusting community, but it's that way because many think the same way. If there's 20 dudes, the guy with the outside views is the one I'm watching, that I'm not so sure about, and yes, because they are small towns, you'll be talked about.

At some point, some of the influencers will simply say...i like this guy, and assuming nothing significant changes, you're in and have the opportunity to build up relationships. If you've been rejected, it'll be via ostracizing. You just won't have many opportunities to build up relationships, but stamina counts.

Having lived in Satan's bowels (Chicago and California) for 20+ years I noticed I really needed to warm up the home crowd a bit before the acceptance flowed back the way it used to. But it did.

Not the life for most, but that's how to win out there. Once you earn your chops as an upstanding citizen, you can let your hair down. Knowing when and with who will come.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I just found this one. I bet I could buy it way cheaper.

https://www.century21.com/property/g...0-REN030499182
Its a mining claim only?

Old 01-04-2018, 10:15 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
I assume it's 567.792. The other number would be way too good to be true. There's probably no water and the claims are probably worked out—but you never know.

There's a bunch of Old California people around those parts—good, good people.

If you take a map of Arizona and draw a line from the NW corner to the SE corner, the temperate area is north of that line and the torrid area south. We're looking at just north of that line, but I think that Gleeson has an altitude of about 5000'.
Its copper and turquoise mining. And if there was any chance of large scale copper mining one of the big companies in the state would swoop it up. Potential billions to be made like they are setting up in the mountains west of Globe.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Its a mining claim only?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Its copper and turquoise mining. And if there was any chance of large scale copper mining one of the big companies in the state would swoop it up. Potential billions to be made like they are setting up in the mountains west of Globe.
The listing describes the property as a group of patented claims. There has been copper mining in that area as well as gold and silver. Since the realtor didn't bother to proofread the listing, I doubt that they have high hopes of selling it.

It's very easy to research mining property.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:27 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
The listing describes the property as a group of patented claims. There has been copper mining in that area as well as gold and silver. Since the realtor didn't bother to proofread the listing, I doubt that they have high hopes of selling it.

It's very easy to research mining property.
Additionally, that entire area is loaded with geometrical random AzSTL's so the total acreage may end up being like slices of swiss cheese. It would be of diluted value if one 1,000 piece and another 1,000 acre piece was connected by a mile long sliver of land only 20 feet wide. You still have the total acreage, just not in the same box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness