Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 10:52 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,797,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
Fighting the good fight a few centuries ago had the potential for a better outcome, more so than now.
This is a good point. Sure, we can get semi-auto ARs or AKs, or even a 50 BMG, BUT the rift between weaponry available to the common citizen and weaponry available to the military and/or police is HUGE compared to two hundred fifty years ago.

Two hundred fifty years ago, the muskets used by the military were no more lethal than those used by a backwoodsman hunting deer. And the military didn't have firepower that was any more advanced than that of the citizenry beside smooth bore cannons firing grape shot or canister. Military tactics were nothing to crow about either--send a row of men in and tell 'em, "fire!"

Today... well, do you care to raise your AR-15 or M-4 clone in a stand off with an Abrams? Or an F-35? Or with modern artillery, missiles, or bombs? Needless to say, We the People are a bit "light" these days when it comes to firepower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 11:21 AM

300 posts, read 329,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
This is a good point. Sure, we can get semi-auto ARs or AKs, or even a 50 BMG, BUT the rift between weaponry available to the common citizen and weaponry available to the military and/or police is HUGE compared to two hundred fifty years ago.

Two hundred fifty years ago, the muskets used by the military were no more lethal than those used by a backwoodsman hunting deer. And the military didn't have firepower that was any more advanced than that of the citizenry beside smooth bore cannons firing grape shot or canister. Military tactics were nothing to crow about either--send a row of men in and tell 'em, "fire!"

Today... well, do you care to raise your AR-15 or M-4 clone in a stand off with an Abrams? Or an F-35? Or with modern artillery, missiles, or bombs? Needless to say, We the People are a bit "light" these days when it comes to firepower.
In some ways true, but in some ways also a commonly misunderstood thing.

Two hundred fifty years ago, the rifles and smoothbores that were used could be obtained by anyone that could afford them. Likewise artillery pieces, privateer ships, support elements, etc etc.

Governments wised up over the years and started to restrict possession of weapons that had the same capabilities as the government forces. Nothing new there.

But for both of the situations, the historic one and the current modern day - what differs is tactics.

Two hundred fifty years ago, the field was won by forces that chose not to engage the enemy on their terms, when it suited their needs. They threw the Law of War out the window, and did what needed to be done.

In a modern conflict there are no successful fighters that will raise their AR or AK clone against an MBT, F-35, etc. But there's no need to. You don't target the equipment, you target the infrastructure, logistics and trained operators of that expensive equipment. What's the most valuable thing - the Abrams MBT, or their trained crew?

3GW, 4GW has been developing for decades, and it's a new conflict space. Even though it's a new arena, the same old concepts still hold true. 4 Rings is a great primer on those concepts, if one absorbs the ideas that he wrote about.

So, even though we're a bit "light", there's not necessarily anything wrong with that. On the contrary, it can make one much more effective if those cards are played right. OODA loop, etc.

Old 12-24-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
In some ways true, but in some ways also a commonly misunderstood thing.

Two hundred fifty years ago, the rifles and smoothbores that were used could be obtained by anyone that could afford them. Likewise artillery pieces, privateer ships, support elements, etc etc.

Governments wised up over the years and started to restrict possession of weapons that had the same capabilities as the government forces. Nothing new there.

But for both of the situations, the historic one and the current modern day - what differs is tactics.

Two hundred fifty years ago, the field was won by forces that chose not to engage the enemy on their terms, when it suited their needs. They threw the Law of War out the window, and did what needed to be done.

In a modern conflict there are no successful fighters that will raise their AR or AK clone against an MBT, F-35, etc. But there's no need to. You don't target the equipment, you target the infrastructure, logistics and trained operators of that expensive equipment. What's the most valuable thing - the Abrams MBT, or their trained crew?

3GW, 4GW has been developing for decades, and it's a new conflict space. Even though it's a new arena, the same old concepts still hold true. 4 Rings is a great primer on those concepts, if one absorbs the ideas that he wrote about.

So, even though we're a bit "light", there's not necessarily anything wrong with that. On the contrary, it can make one much more effective if those cards are played right. OODA loop, etc.
True. Such tactics have proven effective even in relatively primitive (militarily speaking) conflicts like the Civil War. Small bands of partisan fighters (and saboteurs) were quite effective for both sides against large regular military forces and superior weaponry, and lots of military resources were diverted to stop very small groups of men. Since then, such tactics have, of course, evolved and proven even more effective.

Old 12-24-2017, 03:44 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times
The best state? The state of preparedness!

Old 12-25-2017, 05:18 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times
But best, or worst, states, let's actually discuss...

Alaska;
PROS
Wildlife that can be eaten
Sparsely populated for less human enemies
Firearms laws make pre-preparation a little easier
CONS
Hell freezingly cold
Bears that can eat you

Any City;
PROS
Uh...lot's ov cover...?
CONS
You'll need it...

Old 12-26-2017, 02:38 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
This should have been a poll. (But then it'd give away the best areas & hence disrupt the reason folks look for relocation & sustainable areas & safety, etc.)

That said, the state of being preparedness is the ONLY given. Areas can change but I know my picks, but OPSEC is why folks need NOT reveal their places -- or else they won't soon be THEIR best places. Hope this isn't too clandestine but I think most should practice silence vs "loose lips sink ships" re location & where you need go should the tipping point take place.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:26 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
This should have been a poll. (But then it'd give away the best areas & hence disrupt the reason folks look for relocation & sustainable areas & safety, etc.)

That said, the state of being preparedness is the ONLY given. Areas can change but I know my picks, but OPSEC is why folks need NOT reveal their places -- or else they won't soon be THEIR best places. Hope this isn't too clandestine but I think most should practice silence vs "loose lips sink ships" re location & where you need go should the tipping point take place.
I like this. Shades of the question, "How you protect your stuff from thieves? Weapons, Walls, Safes?", "No, it's by appearing as if you don't have anything."

Old 12-26-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
I like this. Shades of the question, "How you protect your stuff from thieves? Weapons, Walls, Safes?", "No, it's by appearing as if you don't have anything."
Yep. You be the Geo Metro with no wheels or motor, half filled with gravel in the river bed with dozens of new BMWs having unlocked doors and keys in the ignitions sitting all around you when the car thief comes looking for a new ride. That has always been my philosophy. Make yourself appear to be not worth the effort.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:03 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Yes, agreed that was the original intent, and that intent was decided upon by some very intelligent, very highly educated folks. Unfortunately, that level of education, intelligence and morality is a rarity these days.

I'd prefer that original system to be the norm also, along with the older education system.

But it ain't there no more. [It is still there. But you have to READ LAW to find it.] And even though if feels good to fight against it, sometimes it's more realistic to go with the flow, ignore what you need to ignore, and try to live life with those of a like mind, hopefully establishing these ideas in the youngsters.

I consider myself to be a law abiding citizen, as I'm sure most others do. [There's the 1st problem.]

Fact is, I'm not when you look at the reality.

I'm good with that.
. . .
“It may be laid down, as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every citizen who enjoys the protection of a free government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency.”
- - - George Washington; "Sentiments on a Peace Establishment" in a letter to Alexander Hamilton (2 May 1783); published in The Writings of George Washington (1938), edited by John C. Fitzpatrick, Vol. 26, p. 289.
[... Every citizen ... owes a portion of his property ... and services in defense ... in the militia ... from 18 to 50 years of age... ]

IN SHORT,
The American citizen has no endowed right to life, nor liberty, nor absolute ownership because, as a subject, he can be ordered to train, fight, and die, on command (militia duty), and was obligated to give up a portion of his property (taxes, etc). Shut up, sit down, pay and obey.

However, that does not negate the endowed rights of the American people (noncitizens) who did not consent to be governed.
. . .
“The rights of the individual are not derived from governmental agencies, either municipal, state or federal, or even from the Constitution. They exist inherently in every man, by endowment of the Creator, and are merely reaffirmed in the Constitution, and restricted only to the extent that they have BEEN VOLUNTARILY SURRENDERED BY THE CITIZENSHIP to the agencies of government. The people's rights are not derived from the government, but the government's authority comes from the people. The Constitution but states again these rights already existing, and when legislative encroachment by the nation, state, or municipality invade these original and permanent rights, it is the duty of the courts to so declare, and to afford the necessary relief. The fewer restrictions that surround the individual liberties of the citizen, except those for the preservation of the public health, safety, and morals, the more contented the people and the more successful the democracy.”
- - - City of Dallas v. Mitchell, 245 S.W. 944, 945-46 (Tex.Civ.App.-Dallas 1922)
https://casetext.com/case/city-of-dallas-v-mitchell-1

POLITICAL HISTORY LESSON SOUNDBITE

● Republican Form of Government (1776) : "What's mine is mine, what's yours is yours, don't trespass!"
● All other forms of government (inc. democrazy): "What's yours is mine, so shut up, sit down, pay and obey."

Old 12-27-2017, 01:07 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post

Ehhhh
I disagree a little bit

This forum isn't read by many people. Its read by even fewer who are able or willing to relocate. And if someone is serious enough about relocating to a region that has good terms of success in surviving major SHTF then those are probably the type of people you would want as neighbors.

So saying "__________ county Idaho" is great because X,Y,Z isn't compromising your own situation. Its not like your saying hey I live 2 miles down country road 14 in Smithville, Kansas. That's too detailed but speaking in specific tangible generalites won't hurt anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness