Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:22 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Chatting on FB with the local NOAA people...
What's FB? That sounds interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 09:23 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
Sorry - FaceBook!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:29 PM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Chatting on FB with the local NOAA people (yes, our NOAA folks chat!) it seems that there is an El Nino forming in the Pacific right now... if it forms well and with good strength, the precip will return to the West and Great Plains with a vengeance this fall and winter. Talking with some old timers last week at the 4th of July Picnic, the common thought was - this is the same type of weather they had - mild winter, short dry spring, loooong hot dry summer - in 1983. That winter the snow started in September and they had 70 inches by February....

WHOO HOO!!! SNOW!!!!

Time to arrange for the reseeding of the west pasture this fall...
You bring tidings of great joy. I hope you're right. I'd love to see some real winter weather like we used to have around here. Here's to 70 inches of snow.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:35 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Government Giving Out Free Air Conditioners!

Moderator cut: off-topic, political commentary

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012...ditioners-too/

So now, we don't have to "keep cool in soaring temps, without air conditioning"! We have that too!!!

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 07-17-2012 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Personal political views are off-topic for this thread

Old 07-17-2012, 03:11 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Government Giving Out Free Air Conditioners!

Moderator cut: off-topic, political commentary

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012...ditioners-too/

So now, we don't have to "keep cool in soaring temps, without air conditioning"! We have that too!!!
This article references changes in the Ohio state Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), Summer Crisis Program. To qualify for this program:

Quote:
Households must have a gross annual income at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level and meet one of the following criteria to be eligible for the Summer Crisis Program: Have a member of the household who is at least 60 years old, provide physician documentation of medical necessity, or be a household with a disconnect notice from an electric utility.
Other states have similar have Home Energy Assistance Programs with specific qualification requirements and benefits.

Please remember that LIHEAP/HEAP and similar programs benefit the elderly on fixed incomes, the ill and disabled, and families who are having trouble meeting their needs despite employment... everyone who receives benefit isn't a "lazy lay about" out to "scam the system" at your expense.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:01 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
Here's a blog from an off-grid homesteader who is running an efficient AC window unit entirely off Solar PV.

One nice coincedence with heat waves and Solar PV... you tend to have plenty of sunlight to generate power.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:42 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
I will give your ideas some thought but first let me lower my thermostat from 69-67 degrees.... It is hot outside today

Really? For me that's too drastic a change. I try to avoid turning it on until it's time to go to bed, then I just turn on the ac to cool down the bedroom to 72 - otherwise I can't sleep.
My husband hates air conditioning, he agrees with the op, so if I do turn it on in the living room, I keep it around 76 or he complains about being too cold.
We've got some little kiddie pools for the dogs, and one of ours is constantly playing in it. He's a pitbull that loves the water. They also sleep inside with us.
We had a swamp cooler, a big one in the wall. It was so strong, it could clear a table and any paperwork had to be lweighted down. On humid days, it was awful, it just made you sticky. AC is wonderful!
I agree on the trees, we have huge elms shielding one side of the house, and shade trees all over the property. To the point where we've limited our gardening space.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:28 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,420 times
Well, I knew it was too good to be true. The landlord had the air guy here 3 weeks ago to fix the air again (third time this summer) AND TODAY, IT GOES OUT AGAIN. She has no plans to fix it, as he told her the last time he was here that it needed to be replaced. NOW, I have to spend the next 6 weeks with the schizophrenic neighbor next door screaming obscenities all hours of the night (his apartment faces my bedroom window)....plus all the wonderful tourists carrying on.....oh well, such is life!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:33 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
The past 4 days I've been outdoors from 6:30am to 4:30pm on a highly reflective sand/rock surface in 105+ air temps with surface ground temps well above 115. The key to staying cool was multiple breaks under a shade tent, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate (with electrolyte replacement), and, utilizing evaporative cooling by wetting a hat, wearing a cold/wet scarf, and allowing my shirts to absorb the water from the wet scarf. Redousing the scarf & hat at every break as they would air-dry within 10 min. under the hot sun. The heat of the ground was palpable though the Vibram soles on my shoes.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:16 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The past 4 days I've been outdoors from 6:30am to 4:30pm on a highly reflective sand/rock surface in 105+ air temps with surface ground temps well above 115. The key to staying cool was multiple breaks under a shade tent, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate (with electrolyte replacement), and, utilizing evaporative cooling by wetting a hat, wearing a cold/wet scarf, and allowing my shirts to absorb the water from the wet scarf. Redousing the scarf & hat at every break as they would air-dry within 10 min. under the hot sun. The heat of the ground was palpable though the Vibram soles on my shoes.
Good heavens lady, what the heck are you doing out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness