Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:49 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times

Advertisements

Properly designed homes can also cool things down a bit. If you look at British colonial architecture in the tropics, especially in places like Malaysia or India, then you'll see high ceilings with air ports/windows which can be opened near the top along with air ports/windows near the floor. This allows the hot air to rise and be vented while the cooler air comes in near the floors. Sometimes they even took advantage of thermal heat sinks where you have pipes buried in the ground with one opening near a water source and another in the floor. That way cool air could go through the pipe, getting cooled more by the lower soil temperature, and then pipe the cool air into the home. This promotes air movement, gets cooler air into the home, and allows warmer air to be vented. If you want to really go the extra mile then a water feature such a fountain works well so you can get some evaporation cooling as well.

No electricity is needed and you can easily lower the temperature 20 degrees especially if you use stone, brick, or concrete construction for the home itself. It worked in the 19th century before electricity and it can work today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 08:01 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Properly designed homes can also cool things down a bit. If you look at British colonial architecture in the tropics, especially in places like Malaysia or India, then you'll see high ceilings with air ports/windows which can be opened near the top along with air ports/windows near the floor. This allows the hot air to rise and be vented while the cooler air comes in near the floors. Sometimes they even took advantage of thermal heat sinks where you have pipes buried in the ground with one opening near a water source and another in the floor. That way cool air could go through the pipe, getting cooled more by the lower soil temperature, and then pipe the cool air into the home. This promotes air movement, gets cooler air into the home, and allows warmer air to be vented. If you want to really go the extra mile then a water feature such a fountain works well so you can get some evaporation cooling as well.

No electricity is needed and you can easily lower the temperature 20 degrees especially if you use stone, brick, or concrete construction for the home itself. It worked in the 19th century before electricity and it can work today.

Why don't we see them ?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

way more expensive

Old 07-09-2012, 09:08 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
They do have to be speciality built with such a design in mind where as now days everyone has electricity so it's cheaper just to buy an AC. That said, it can be done without electric power. It just depends on what your goal is, I guess.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:46 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
Why don't we see them ?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

way more expensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
They do have to be speciality built with such a design in mind where as now days everyone has electricity so it's cheaper just to buy an AC. That said, it can be done without electric power. It just depends on what your goal is, I guess.
There could be cookie cutter designs. But cost was and is prohibitive. Only the wealthy could afford homes like that. From midddle class down people lived in smaller houses on smaller lots but they had larger families. Even the wealthy expected to be uncomfortable in hot weather because that ninety degree breeze isn't refreshing.

Today even welfare housing has air conditioning. No one needs to sleep in a hot room unless it's voluntary.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
I will say that our 100-year-old house was built over a lovely and cool basement, and has plaster walls and 10-foot ceilings, with huge floor-to-ceiling solid-maple framed thick leaded windows that keep the heat in during the winter, and cool in during the summer. The hottest room in the house in the summer is "the addition" - which has drywall, a low ceiling, and those plastic-framed windows. It would be the coldest room in the house in the winter, especially since it is on the northwest side, from where the wind comes - but that is where the woodstove is! (Yes, it has fireproof walls surrounding it and is set up on a brick hearth, so no worries). Another thing that works for cooling is the verandah that runs down the entire east side of the house, with two maple trees in front of it that tower over the house.

Construction does matter; those cookie-cutter homes are a higher long-term cost. This house back east would have been far out of my price range; here, it was cheap because everyone has either them - or cement-block homes.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

As for the dog on extremely hot days, I give her bath (no soaps) early in the morning and let her dry off on her own. Or, I spray her with a soft spray (water bottle) every now and then, sometimes with a little Witch Hazel (a coolant) in the water. Change her drinking water often and I never take her anywhere in the car without a huge bowl of water. Of course I never ever leave her in the car unattended, this can be deadly for a dog in any kind of heat, as the temps inside the car soar above the actual temp. Two dogs left in a truck here last week died.

I do what you do with the fans, too.

[and I hit myself with the spray bottle, too - it makes a big difference]

Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
Why do people believe refusing to use AC and suffering in a hot house is so---macho. ?

What point are you trying to make ?
I have a generally high tolerance for the heat.

[plus, as $6 electric bill is nice]

Old 07-09-2012, 11:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I have a generally high tolerance for the heat.

[plus, as $6 electric bill is nice]
I bet a good number of the 700 people who died in Chicago in 11995 said something similar. It is a fact that the vast majoriy did it to save money. I consider my life to be worth a bit more than they considered theirs or (apparently) you consider yours.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:23 AM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Interesting that on a self-sufficiency forum, there are so many "we just can't go on without AC" or "we don't want to, so therefore we'll never have to go on without AC" types of posts. That in itself is fine by me, because I hear that from 99% of the people around me, along with not being able to survive without cars, electricity, smartphones, TV, x-box, Walmart, etc... One thing that I'd expect to see more of, though, considering part of the OP's title is "without air conditioning," is, well... alternatives to air conditioning, rather than an "it can't be done" or an "I'll learn to swim when the boat sinks" type of mentality.

Since I don't use AC (in the house, but I do in the car), not much would change for me. But as has been pointed out, lots would change--and often with deadly outcomes--for those who are used to a constant 72 degree life. There have been some good suggestions... but there have been many sort of "white flag" posts as well. I'd have to say that, in my experience, learning to deal with it before you are forced to deal with it is probably the better idea. Very few folks can run a marathon unless they've done some running and conditioning beforehand. Very few people could handle Death Valley 120 degree weather when they haven't been out of their refrigerator for 20 years. Yet, there are people who actually live there without AC. It's all in what you are used to. Our species is very adaptable, but also very susceptible to sudden "shock." I guess the trick is to not have it be such a shock. An Inuit probably would not survive if suddenly plunked down in a Sahara summer. But I'll bet he could if he were eased into it and allowed to adapt.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:56 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,065 times
---"adapting"-- is an over rated term when it comes to weather

I struggled all my life trying to "adapt " to MN winters.

I moved south and had little trouble "adapting" to the heat wave we just experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness