U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have at least 6 months of savings set aside in case of an emergency?
Yes, I do 36 64.29%
No, I don't 20 35.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2012, 12:59 PM

4,446 posts, read 4,799,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Moderator cut: off-topic
From a personal standpoint I'm interested in how the election will affect real estate prices in my area. I had expected and hoped for riots but so far the phenomenon of rising expectations hasn't arisen as it did in the Sixties.
I am not arguing with you, agreeing for the most part, but to specifically link politics to this thread is a direct cause and effect situation.
If you have faith in the government, why have 6 months worth of savings? If you don't have faith in the government, how is only 6 months worth going to keep you going? It wouldn't be nearly enough.

Politics, especially this year, are volitile at best. Both sides are angry with no middle ground available it seems some days.

While that subject is germaine to this discussion, we don't need to devolve into the usual hair pulling, shin kicking, name calling tantrums so endemic to the politics threads.

As a side issue to the premise of this thread, yes it is applicable, but starting to endorse one candidate over the other changes the subject.

As long as unemployment is high, investment returns are low, people are unsure of what new regulations may make it harder to survive 6 months, then yes in that narrow scope the current race is very applicable to this thread.

The competence or lack of from either candidate is an opinion, (which opinion I may share, but don't use in this case) because while the government may be a reason to prep, it isn't the only reason, and while methods may change to counteract one administration, who is to say the next one won't bring a whole new set of challenges to the individual prepper?

Anyway, I get tired of the unending litany of pure unadulterated bull fertilizer inundating the media in all forms.
Prepping for disasters is what we do, so one disaster is pretty much like the next.

You dig your foxhole deep and keep your head down until the shooting stops

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 07-16-2012 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: Quoted post was modded
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 01:43 PM

4,729 posts, read 7,839,607 times
Reminder: please stay on topic discussing savings as it pertains to preparedness.

You may cite general concerns with government as a reason for your choice of savings and why you're prepping, but specific political opinions about a particular candidate or party are off-topic and will be removed.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,379,425 times
I think the current elections have nothing to do with our future getting better. What has been the problem for years is the loss of the voice of the common, middle class American family - this voice has been lost to the voice of (corporate or individual) entities with money. When you as a candidate stop catering to the people (at least enough so they can make some kind of a living) and start catering only to special interests, the future does not look bright . See, it used to be that average person could make a living and the candidates and parties at least partially cared about them. Now, everyone just appears that they care but bills get passed and there is not a single one that does not have some provision to make someone happy.

To their credit or detriment, the common middle class American has long ago lost faith in the system and is busy just trying to stay afloat. The crash of 2008 did not help either. The problem is that this time we are so much in debt and we have gone so much away from common sense economics (and we are burdened by so many social programs) that coming back might just be purely impossible.

Now, on to the savings question - I have enough for a year BUT it is not in gold or silver which it should be. When it all goes down (and it will, it seems pretty inevitable) - paper money and stocks of companies will not be worth the paper they are printed on.

I lived through hyper-inflation once or twice, people would get paid in the morning and by afternoon their pay would be worth 1/2 (or worse) than it was worth in the morning. At the end some people just got paid in eggs, butter, sugar, flour etc. Hyper-inflation is the beginning, everything will come from there.

For me it is about being mobile. The first thing I am going to do is turn all my savings into gold and silver (in the next six months), and I mean coins I can take with me. The point is not to worry when to turn your paper cash into coins - one can never time the market. Just do it and move on. Yes, gold and silver might drop temporarily but long term, I don't think so.

Now, I think owning a piece of property may be bad news in a bad economic situation simply because it makes you a target and you need to defend your place. I think being mobile and being able to feed yourself by foraging, hunting etc. will be more crucial. Having coins with you is a huge risk but you can't win them all, at the same time it will be necessary to purchase whatever there is to purchase.

If s**t does hit the fan, you will see people around you devolve into the worst kinds of animals quicker than you can blink. In this situation the poor countries are actually at an advantage, they already live poorly and make do every day. Remember the line from that movie (I forget the name now) - it goes something like "The higher, the lower".....

OD

Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,379,425 times
A reflection on savings - an interesting article...
Restoring Freedom — The Moneychanger
OD

Old 07-18-2012, 12:53 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,278,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
A reflection on savings - an interesting article...
Restoring Freedom — The Moneychanger
OD

"America was once a nation of fairly self-sufficient local economies, but has been centralized into one national planned economy."

Yup. There are places that still have fairly self-sufficient local economies, and with potential to return to greater self-sufficient local economies because they had them in very recent history. It's one of the reasons we chose our present location.

Most people don't want to move to such locations which of course is ideal for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness