U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-02-2012, 10:02 PM

14,829 posts, read 6,175,358 times
you can spend less getting salaved or used military generators, but I also think it would be better to get a new or used civilian dual fuel generator instead.
I currently use a 60kwh dual fuel generator for my home needs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 524 times
I have a 30 kw military generator and you can buy books on them . Just google your set description .
I haven't had any problems with mine. The government doesn't manufacture generators so All military generators are manufactured by private enterprise and it shouldn't be hard to get parts if the company is still in business.

Mine is 120/208 3 phase and I use it to pick up my whole house electrically.I have a 4 ton heat pump and my installation is single phase.I just feed thru a breaker to my panel and open my main breaker when I use it.I just use two phases and the neutral.It does the job.

It works fine and I don't anticipate problems . I just use it in emergencies anyhow and have used it only once.I run it two hours once a month to keep it lubricated good, the moisture driven off, and the fuel fresh in it.

If something happens to mine I believe I could get parts.It has a white diesel engine .Thats pretty common.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness