Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 06:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times

Advertisements

This may sound silly but salt pepper and sugar......... With these you can cure other foods, and I would add smoke but no one can buy any...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
I plan on cutting down on eating 3-6 percent to deal with the off set.

Wifey and I need to lose a few pounds anyway.

With the six to eight month stock pile I cycle through on a year basis it should moderate any increase that I will only see when doing the year over year reconciliation in our food spending.

Example I am still working on a supply of organic costco peanut butter I bought before the prices spiked last year.

I suspect those areas not directly in the drought impact zone will have a better go of keeping prices down if you source your buying more locally.

Drought Effect on Consumer Food Prices Likely Muted - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Old 08-17-2012, 02:41 PM

941 posts, read 1,804,401 times
Default eat your beans

Hiya Big George,

I am impressed with your enthusiasm for beans.
I know how to cook beans, but I fall short on making them so tasty that I can rave about them,
but I'd sure like to be able to.

Beside tossing in a few veggies over rice, do you do something to them that makes them
more interesting... or maybe an addition that can actually make them -->> delicious?

Secrets anyone?

Last edited by CourageMom; 08-17-2012 at 02:53 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I plan on cutting down on eating 3-6 percent to deal with the off set.
Wifey and I need to lose a few pounds anyway.
With the six to eight month stock pile I cycle through on a year basis it should moderate any increase that I will only see when doing the year over year reconciliation in our food spending.
Example I am still working on a supply of organic costco peanut butter I bought before the prices spiked last year. I suspect those areas not directly in the drought impact zone will have a better go of keeping prices down if you source your buying more locally.

Drought Effect on Consumer Food Prices Likely Muted - Real Time Economics - WSJ
I liked reading the opposite side of the WSJ fantasyland article thanks for sharing it with us.
I'd love to read more like it some that are written with the truth so I can mail to my friends living in oblivion.

Here's my question Bulldogdad;

How many pounds of beans equates a six to eight month stockpile?
...and is that for two?

Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 PM

Still looking for a yogurt recipe using canned evaporated milk not sweetened condensed canned milk... anybody? (although the sweetened condensed is probably tastier). I'd give them both a try, actually.

Here's a great site that tells you about long term storage of powdered milk..which can be used to make yogurt
Powdered Milk

here's the powdered milk yogurt recipe:

Homemade Yogurt Recipe | Hillbilly Housewife

..and this recipe uses both
Favorite Recipes – Homemade Yogurt « Junglewife

Old 08-18-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageMom View Post
I liked reading the opposite side of the WSJ fantasyland article thanks for sharing it with us.
I'd love to read more like it some that are written with the truth so I can mail to my friends living in oblivion.

Here's my question Bulldogdad;

...and is that for two?
Take the recommended servings and divide by 2: 8 becomes 4 etc...

Then you will need to estimate frequency of use and do the math from there.

I have 75lbs of dried beans stored and it adds up to about 6 months for five people at 6 servings per lb.

Again beans not being the main meal.

Dont forget the water.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Quote:
Still looking for a yogurt recipe using canned evaporated milk not sweetened condensed canned milk... anybody?
The type of milk you use to make yogurt really doesn't matter, you still have to innoculate/culture and incubate it. (See post 46)

I have made yogurt from evap: the culture that I had required a gallon of milk to start, so I used 6 (12oz) cans and 4.5 cans of water to make the gallon since I like mine thick (less milk and more water if you like yours runny), then added the culture and incubated per directions.

Adding good dollop of pre-existing live-culture yogurt (like the powdered milk recipe) accomplishes the same thing but takes a little longer and requires that you have yogurt to begin with.

I wouldn't recommend using sweetened condensed milk as it's likely to ferment during incubation rather than culture due to the added sugar. If you want sweetened yogurt, best to add honey, fruit etc after it's done incubating.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:53 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Quote:
...and is that for two?
A lb of dry beans = 2 cups
A cup of dry beans = 2 cups cooked beans (nearly 3 cups for lentils & chickpeas/garbanzos)
So a lb of dry beans = 4 cups cooked beans

1 cooked cup serving of beans per person as a main or primary, 1/2 cup as a side

DH & I go through 100-150 lbs of dry beans in a year, but we don't eat beans every day or with every meal although we do grind the beans into flour for noodles and bread (replacing some of the wheat since we're sensitive to gluten). YMMV

If you stock beans, try get several varieties so you don't get burned out and can do more with them since they all have different flavors and cooking properties. For instance, we stock small red beans, dark kidney beans, cranberry beans, pinto beans, calypso beans, black beans, great northern beans, navy beans, fava beans, cannellini beans, chickpeas, lentils (red, green, brown and yellow), green & yellow split peas, black eyed peas, mung beans and adzuki beans.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:20 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
If you stock beans, try get several varieties so you don't get burned out and can do more with them since they all have different flavors and cooking properties. For instance, we stock small red beans, dark kidney beans, cranberry beans, pinto beans, calypso beans, black beans, great northern beans, navy beans, fava beans, cannellini beans, chickpeas, lentils (red, green, brown and yellow), green & yellow split peas, black eyed peas, mung beans and adzuki beans.
Yipes!

I'm going to have to get busy on my bean storage. I do have quite a lot of beans, but only three varieties. I don't think I've even tasted a few of the beans you mention there.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:28 PM

Beans beans the magical fruit the more you eat the more you toot, the more you toot the better you feel, so come preppers, eat beans with every meal.

Someone had to say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness