Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 03:43 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,665,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I find navigation semi difficult. I am messin about though and just eeked my way up Rt 302 into Crawford Notch. And I saw the Elephant Head up there, but have no idea how to get anyone else there to see it unless I take them on my bike.

When I want to be done there is no way to save it and moving with that light gray/white oval is tuff..

Perhaps the tech isn't what i was expecting.......?

Then I get bumped back to the demo mode Central Pk NY.

It took a while to figure who and where to get 'pegman' too....

I am the type of old geezer than needs Step 1, do that, go to Step 2 and so forth.

I can tell you that book was some difficult to understand the wimins though...
Sounds like you got somewhere. At first I found the navigation to be frustrating as well. It just takes a little more practice and you'll be fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 10:51 PM

25,480 posts, read 18,612,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
I don't yet understand why Chris wants to grow wheat, but it can't be to bake just enough loaves of bread to suit his table.

He said he wants to grow what he uses. I'm with you on that thinking but if he wants to try, more power to him!
Well, since wheat, breads, oats, and just grain-based foods in general make up such a large part of my diet, it just makes sense to me to grow them. If that's what I eat most, that's what I need most, and what I should be growing most.

As far as other garden crops, I figure I can get any greens (which honestly, I don't really eat much anyway) I want wild, so there is no use wasting the garden space for that. That leaves space for the things I do eat most: grains (wheat, oats, rice, spelt, quinoa, barley, millet, rye, amaranth, corn, etc--of course, some of these I can't grow, I know), beans, potatoes, squash, beets (love beets!), and a few other things. But, yeah, it will mostly be grains.

If you think about grains, they are hard to beat for nutritional value that is so easily preserved. You don't have to fuss with canning them or fermenting or sugaring/salting or freezing them... just store them wisely and they will be there a long, long time. And, in the end, I must admit, I have a real affection and keen interest in grains, both domestic and wild. I just seem to want to read, study, grind, and hunt for grains in the field more than most folks would... and of course eat them--guess I'm a "grain-man." Might have to change my name here to The Grain Man.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:56 PM

6,753 posts, read 8,540,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
, I must admit, I have a real affection and keen interest in grains, both domestic and wild. I just seem to want to read, study, grind, and hunt for grains in the field more than most folks would... and of course eat them--guess I'm a "grain-man." Might have to change my name here to The Grain Man.

How about "Flour Child"??

Old 08-17-2012, 11:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,917,807 times
Earth Street and map street huh? I am dyslexic... Things like that can get me all mixed up, until it has been pointed out. i spent time but moving around is a lot like a Gulf no Nox commercial, sort of jitter bug and hop down the road, no smooth ride sartin!

I narrowed things down to NH then I selected Rt 302 and a balloon message popped up saying crawford notch, which i wanted, and so then I took pegman from the far left set of controls and place him on the road.

The program dumped me off at the Willy House several miles down the road. Then I navigated bumping along up the road into the notch, and pulled over on the left spinning around to see the Elephant head, a rock looking like a mastadon with a white eye.

2 things i can't get figured is how to go faster and be smoother, but maybe we can't??? Then the next thing is to save the image, with a way to save it, so later I could show others.

It would be cool to be able to say show Chris C things in NH, and in Maine for that matter. I have been in main up north some, but not for a while and the place is so big that in time i forget until I hit on a key reminder.

I am also trying to teach myself GPS stuff with a little hand held unit. That has a booklet but the booklet and the device are hard for me to understand. Sometimes there are too many options and understanding the terms is hard too.

Chris you can grow most of that list in Maine. I don't know what some of them are though. spelt, quinoa doesn't ring any bell in my head. I am not sure if I know what amaranth is either, unless it is a worm wood. if it is it might grow here, a worm wood will in up state NY. I only knew of it because someone else grew it to get some type of liquor of. last i don't know about rice but it does grow in the great lakes areas, so i guess it could here in Maine or NH of you made the paddy up right.

Everything else we grow or did here.... next year if we sty here we will again.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:13 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,917,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
LOL if he does all that all by himself he will be Tired Flour Child!

I am happy with corn taters, maters and beans. My wife has a bit more in lettuces and assort other greens... but salads don't freeze and in the woods is as good salads.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Yeah, that could work... back in my younger years lots of folks thought I was sort of the "hippy type"--Flower Child... Flour Child. Clever.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Chris you can grow most of that list in Maine. I don't know what some of them are though. spelt, quinoa doesn't ring any bell in my head. I am not sure if I know what amaranth is either, unless it is a worm wood. if it is it might grow here, a worm wood will in up state NY. I only knew of it because someone else grew it to get some type of liquor of. last i don't know about rice but it does grow in the great lakes areas, so i guess it could here in Maine or NH of you made the paddy up right.

Everything else we grow or did here.... next year if we sty here we will again.
Mmmmm... missing out. I made some buttermilk biscuits last week from some spelt I milled. Yummmm. Spelt is very similar to "regular" wheat (it's actually just a species of wheat), although it does look a bit strange if you're used to seeing wheat in the field. It actually looks more like some sort of wild beardless barley or something. It has a slightly different flavor that I like, although it's a bit harder to cook breads and such with it.

Yeah, I'd assume you guys have wild rice growing around in the shallows of the lakes up there. We do have some here as well, but I have had a hard time gathering it. Practice, practice, practice... It's different from the rice in the store, but it'll still be there if the store shelves "dry up."

Old 08-18-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Well, since wheat, breads, oats, and just grain-based foods in general make up such a large part of my diet, it just makes sense to me to grow them. If that's what I eat most, that's what I need most, and what I should be growing most.
Yes, I understood your reasons and knew it was a big part of your diet because you have mentioned it before.

Quote:
As far as other garden crops, I figure I can get any greens (which honestly, I don't really eat much anyway) I want wild, so there is no use wasting the garden space for that. That leaves space for the things I do eat most: grains (wheat, oats, rice, spelt, quinoa, barley, millet, rye, amaranth, corn, etc--of course, some of these I can't grow, I know), beans, potatoes, squash, beets (love beets!), and a few other things. But, yeah, it will mostly be grains.

If you think about grains, they are hard to beat for nutritional value that is so easily preserved. You don't have to fuss with canning them or fermenting or sugaring/salting or freezing them... just store them wisely and they will be there a long, long time. And, in the end, I must admit, I have a real affection and keen interest in grains, both domestic and wild. I just seem to want to read, study, grind, and hunt for grains in the field more than most folks would... and of course eat them--guess I'm a "grain-man." Might have to change my name here to The Grain Man.
OK, I have to ask. Do you own the land you are foraging? If not, it would be healthier for you to stay west of the Mississippi.

Last edited by scarlet_ohara; 08-18-2012 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-18-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
OK, I have to ask. Do you own the land you are foraging? If not, it would be healthier for you to stay west of the Mississippi.
Nope, for that sort of thing it's usually BLM land or National Forest. And the rice is just on the shores of some of the lakes in the area. One thing good I will say about Utah is that there is an amazing diversity of geography and climate here. You can go from lush alpine forest to parched, sun-baked desert in well under an hour.

Something that will require "adjustment" on my part in North Dakota is that there is much less public land and much more private land; although as I understand it, there is a great deal of private land registered in the NDWMA program up there. And there is an area of "forest" (if you can call it that in ND--nothing like our Utah forests) around a lake in the immediate area I'm going (Park River is the closest town of any significant size).

Old 08-19-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Nope, for that sort of thing it's usually BLM land or National Forest. And the rice is just on the shores of some of the lakes in the area. One thing good I will say about Utah is that there is an amazing diversity of geography and climate here. You can go from lush alpine forest to parched, sun-baked desert in well under an hour.

Something that will require "adjustment" on my part in North Dakota is that there is much less public land and much more private land; although as I understand it, there is a great deal of private land registered in the NDWMA program up there. And there is an area of "forest" (if you can call it that in ND--nothing like our Utah forests) around a lake in the immediate area I'm going (Park River is the closest town of any significant size).
Yeah, you might feel more restricted in doing that in some eastern parts. Generally (not exclusively, just generally) it's prohibited or requires a permit on public land but rarely enforced AFAIK unless it's a conservation reserve. It varies, some places you can gather berries for personal use but not plants. You have to know what's allowed and not allowed for each specific location.

The number of people foraging has been low --- that is, until now. Apparently it's becoming the "in" thing to do. I mean across the entire country. It seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry who found a couple of wild edibles is throwing up blogs with a couple of pics and encouraging everyone else to go do it; creating FB pages and starting up little foraging groups online and in real life, even setting up foraging expeditions. <sigh>

It isn't just the survivalist types either. It's the green, supposedly environmentally conscious types too. How "green" is it to encourage thousands of people to raid the wild edibles and trample the habitat wildlife depend upon. And some of the people would ban hunting but don't give a second thought about the effect on wildlife if hundreds go into an area and strip the edibles and destroy the habitat. I guess starving the wildlife is more merciful to them (even if they cause it) than a quick kill. And some of them think if the land doesn't "look" like anyone owns it, it's fair game. I think all of these types are relatively low in numbers at this time but they "talk" the loudest.

So, I don't think being close to public land is a good thing. I have lived both adjacent to, and near public land in the past, but times are different. People are already squatting on public lands in greater numbers because they have nowhere else to go; and greater restrictions are being adopted as a result, and I think ND was one of the first places I read about this. How long before they are dealt with in aggressive ways if you know what I mean. I don't want those state or fed entities defending the lands in my backyard either.

But I digress...

Chances are your own land would already have wild edibles on it, or would come back if you allow some of it to return to its natural state. You can also gather some and get them started on your land, those that are suitable for your particular habitat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness