Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:19 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Now wait a minute. How do you know he chose to live without medical care? I hate to tell you this but people who go to doctors and take their medications as ordered die just as surely as those who don't. It may be sooner; it may be later; but they do die.
I don't know that. Another poster implied that was the case, and I accepted that without verifying it.

As for your third and fourth sentences above, I agree with them. I was arguing with the proposition put forth by someone else that modern medical care as commonly practiced normally shortens life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 PM

Default Summing up.....

This thread has gone off on all kinds of tangents, as most threads do, but it seems to me this is the bottom line:

That guy was not harming anyone else by living the life he had chosen.

I wouldn't choose that life, but so what? I think such a large amount in gold coins was overkill, but so what? I would not want to be that socially isolated, but so what? I have chosen a life which suits me, and presumably that guy chose a life which suited him.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
69 is a young age to die at, just a fact. Average life expectancy in the US is now ~80 for men so, yeah, I'd say if his health care was better than he would have had a reasonable chance of at least getting to his average life expectancy.

I'm sorry if this fact upsets some of you people for some irrational reason but, yes, there is a message in this case. The guy was prepping for highly unlikely stuff and was ignoring the very likely stuff which actually killed him.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
69 is a young age to die at, just a fact. Average life expectancy in the US is now ~80 for men so, yeah, I'd say if his health care was better than he would have had a reasonable chance of at least getting to his average life expectancy.

I'm sorry if this fact upsets some of you people for some irrational reason but, yes, there is a message in this case. The guy was prepping for highly unlikely stuff and was ignoring the very likely stuff which actually killed him.
How do you know what "actually killed him"? Was there a cause of death determined by an autopsy? If so, I missed that information. In the case of longevity, the averages include such wide ranges of actual ages of death. Getting "better" health care is no guarantee of avoiding dying young, it just improves the chances somewhat. Genes probably play the biggest role, and habits (diet, exercise, etc.) also play a large role.

I am not "upset" in the least by your pointing out that 69 is a "young" age for death. I am just debating whether the condemnations of this guy are justified. It is a philosophical issue, not a personal emotional one, for me at least.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:50 AM

354 posts, read 517,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yeah, I'd read about that. What stood out in my mind was the $7 million. He's not the first "loner" to pass on, leaving a fortune that no one suspected he had. That's how he accumulated it, by not letting anyone know. I do not feel sorry for such a man. You can be sure he was living the exact life he wanted to live. Happy is right...he was not frightened. The money served its purpose: kept him at ease and at peace for the remainder of his days. We should all live out our days in such peace and equanimity. But that won't happen!
that's just sad. $7 million he could have traveled the world, bought an island. LOL. lived and partied like there's no tomorrow but sadly that's how all preppers i believe WASTE their life.. it's better to live like there's no tomorrow because look, he died and he left his $7 million to rot with him? pointless wealth accumulation. what a waste of 7 million.

sure do hope those 7 million will feed hungry people or go to charities. maybe if this guy when he lived and did just that he will truly be happy. i dont know about you but helping people makes me feel good it's a feeling of euphoria u can't explain. especially if i know it is truly needed.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 AM

It said in the video he died of a suspected heart attack. Yes, with proper treatment heart conditions can be dealt with by medical professionals. In fact, they're almost certain to be found in any proper annual check up and tend to develop over several years.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:52 PM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Just a comment on 69 being "young" to die. We have to remember that when we say that an average person lives to be 80... it IS an average. Do we expect every person to then live until 80 years of age and then kick the bucket right there at exactly 80? That's not what an average means. I just heard on the news today that more people are living to 100 and even past 110 years old. Yet others die at or soon after birth.

Point being, there is this little thing called a "standard deviation" that plays as big a role in statistics as the average does. Say we have five people under one condition dying at 78, 79, 80, 81, and 82, and we have five people under some other condition dying at 60, 65, 80, 95, 100. Both averages are 80. If we go by the statistics from the first sample, dying at 69 would be abnormally young. If we go by the statistics from the second sample, dying at 69 is not so out of the ordinary.

And, again, I'll ask, is it possible he didn't want an annual checkup? Is it possible he wasn't obsessed with medicine or maybe he didn't even want to live any longer? Personally, I can certainly see myself becoming uninterested in living further, depending on my state of health and quality of life. Maybe the guy was just tired of this life, who knows?

Old 12-10-2012, 06:56 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvalentine View Post
that's just sad. $7 million he could have traveled the world, bought an island. LOL. lived and partied like there's no tomorrow but sadly that's how all preppers i believe WASTE their life.. it's better to live like there's no tomorrow because look, he died and he left his $7 million to rot with him? pointless wealth accumulation. what a waste of 7 million.

sure do hope those 7 million will feed hungry people or go to charities. maybe if this guy when he lived and did just that he will truly be happy. i dont know about you but helping people makes me feel good it's a feeling of euphoria u can't explain. especially if i know it is truly needed.
your wrong

Old 12-11-2012, 11:11 PM

Chris, he did die relatively young from a very easily treatable condition. That's a fact. He seems to have been very worried about stupid and highly unlikely stuff but actually died because he ignored a far more common issue. Sadly, that type of myopic and short term thinking seems to be very common in the prepper community.

If your goal is to survive then maybe you should first deal with the highly likely to occur things and then work your way down to the highly unlikely to happen things. That's just sound advice and you ignore it at your peril.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
The females in my family tend to get a letter from who ever the hell is President at the time they turn 100. On the other hand the males in my family tend to die early, because the females kill them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness