Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 AM

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times

Advertisements

I'm about 200 mile inland and the storm went just a little to the south of us. We made out fairly well, the power only ever flickered a little. In any event:

The fridge was fully stocked.
The pantry was fully stocked as it always is.
7 gallons of gas in the generator.
7 gallons of gas in gas cans.
Another 50 gallons of gas in three vehicles.
New chainsaw (needed one anyway).
2 cases of beer and months worth of cigarettes.

***Made sure the generator ran. ** It's nearly brand new but this is one important thing a lot of people overlooked.

These are not over the top preparations but common sense, I'm not prepared for Armageddon and have no intentions too. Had it been really bad the gas would have been rationed and the generator run every four or five hours to keep the fridge/freezer cold, heat and water. Realistically the only thing I need the generator for is the water pump and that will be changing because I have plans to get a manual pump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 12:32 AM

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Great for the Romans. This isn't Rome. I have concrete steps that are 70 years old and in VERY poor condition. My brother's house is 50 years old and just needed a entire concrete wall in his basement replaced. That's far short of 2000 years.
Concrete that is failing after 50 or even 70 years isn't a very good quality concrete job. Assuming good site prep before the pour, low moisture in the concrete when it's poured, additives like fly ash and a long cure time it should last indefinitely. I have a 60 year old concrete basement floor in my house and there isn't a single crack in it. Of course if you have something like steps or sidewalks and keep putting ice melt on it that's going to eat it away quickly. There was more that few heavily travelled road locally that were 60 years old they recently replaced, one of the big difference here is they used coal ash in them which greatly increases the strength.

We live in cinder block structure, it has some benefits but there is downsides. Renovation become problematic if for example you want to put a window in somewhere.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:35 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,604,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Concrete that is failing after 50 or even 70 years isn't a very good quality concrete job. Assuming good site prep before the pour, low moisture in the concrete when it's poured, additives like fly ash and a long cure time it should last indefinitely. I have a 60 year old concrete basement floor in my house and there isn't a single crack in it. Of course if you have something like steps or sidewalks and keep putting ice melt on it that's going to eat it away quickly.
I wouldn't know. I wasn't alive when the houses were built. How do you not have a single crack in a concrete floor in a basement? Settling causes them. They're impossible to avoid.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:06 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,557,080 times
Everybody loves the idea of filling their bathtubs. Seems such a waste of water, when it's likely you won't use it, and will just drain it out when the threat is gone. Keep in mind you probably have about 40+ gallons sitting in your hot water heater, that could be used in an emergency. The water in your bathtub won't be drinkable, it will be dirty.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:11 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,029,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Everybody loves the idea of filling their bathtubs. Seems such a waste of water, when it's likely you won't use it, and will just drain it out when the threat is gone. Keep in mind you probably have about 40+ gallons sitting in your hot water heater, that could be used in an emergency. The water in your bathtub won't be drinkable, it will be dirty.
You use that water to flush the toilet.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 AM

676 posts, read 1,260,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
You use that water to flush the toilet.
Exactly

Old 11-06-2012, 10:35 AM

19,004 posts, read 14,180,717 times
Quote:
Great for the Romans. This isn't Rome. I have concrete steps that are 70 years old and in VERY poor condition. My brother's house is 50 years old and just needed a entire concrete wall in his basement replaced. That's far short of 2000 years.
What a pitiful example of poor quality workmanship... but that has nothing to do with the performance of concrete.

If you do a little reading on concrete, you'll find that a common source of bad concrete is the tendency to add too much water. Many times, you'll see installers just slosh in water, by sight, without careful measurement. Even on TV, you can see examples of [expletive deleted] bad practice.

When Concrete is too Wet - Concrete, Consistency And Workability, Concrete Strength, Mix Design, Decorative Concrete, Cracking And Crazing, Concrete Stains And Dyes, Hardeners And Densifiers - Concrete Construction
When there is too much water in the concrete, there is greater shrinkage with the possibility for more cracks and reduced compressive strength. As a general rule, every additional inch of slump decreases strength by approximately 500 psi. So for example, if you ordered 5-inch slump concrete and received 7½ inches, a mix designed to be 4000 psi would end up being 2500 psi. This represents a serious loss in strength, especially if you were placing exterior concrete in a freeze/thaw climate where the standard requirement is 4000 psi for proper durability.
QUIKRETE® - Mixing Concrete ? Machine Mixing
Properly mixed concrete should look like thick oatmeal and should hold its shape when it is squeezed in a gloved hand.

NOTE: the more water that is added to the mix the weaker it becomes; adding one extra quart of water per 80 lb bag can reduce the strength of the concrete by up to 40%.

----------------
Note: though excess water in the mix can adversely affect performance, keeping the concrete from drying out too fast is also critical to the cure.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:51 AM

19,004 posts, read 14,180,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Check out WaterBOB:
WaterBOB®: emergency drinking water storage

It's a plastic container that fits in your tub, and when filled, keeps the water from contamination.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:33 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,643,537 times
Quote:
Like this block of ice tip!
Works every storm, turns your freezer into a "icebox", and as it melts you at least still have freezing cold water.

There is also no shortage of crap soda like RC soda at the stores.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:49 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
You buy a bunch of cheap 2 liters, dump them fill with water, squeeze it, put cap on and freeze them. Like 20 of them. This gives you block ice, in your freezer/fridge to keep it cool longer and as it melts its cold wTer.

We also hit up the grociery stores just before the storm and get steaks on discount and cook them on our grill.

Then all the usual supplies. Any risk of storm surge or flooding I would be gone.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
I don't get it. Doesn't that just give you a bunch of cola bottles full of frozen water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness