Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:23 PM

603 posts, read 966,817 times

Advertisements

Strickly for armed robbers or intruders.
I have this sick looking hammer, but, not sure how that would stand up to a good knife.
Which I also have.

Taking classes in Krav and thinking of enrolling the kids.

Suggestions. Experiences?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
Spears?

Personally, I'm old so I'd just use a gun. Home and personal defense shouldn't be a "fair fight" swinging hammers and such at each other (especially if you have kids). Eliminate the threat in the most expeditious and effective manner possible.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 PM

603 posts, read 966,817 times
A spear? For indoor combat?
+1 for the laughs.

Plus, guns are expensive, and using them 'the right way', esp with kids in the house...can take time. Maybe a potatoe launcher?

Old 12-06-2012, 05:21 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceInTheCrowd View Post
A spear? For indoor combat?
+1 for the laughs.

Plus, guns are expensive, and using them 'the right way', esp with kids in the house...can take time. Maybe a potatoe launcher?
You will just pi** off a burgler with your non violent defense. A bat, hammer, judo all fall short if you face a burgler with a gun.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
I have this sick looking hammer, but, not sure how that would stand up to a good knife.
Which I also have.

Thanks.

a broadsword.

a friend of mine owns a broadsword. in 1993 in KCMO, a man broke into his home. the crook threatened him with a knife, my friend promptly cut the crooks arm off right above the elbow.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Just put your hands up and shake...... maybe you can catch the bullets, of fend off the blade.....

My Father in Law tried that and he just ended up as dead as his wife .... In that case it was against a younger assailant armed with a blade. 78 year old guys don't make the best fighters. He would have been best with a revolver or a shot gun... But instead he is dead and so is his wife.

Yup a gun is expensive, ammo is too, and to be effective you need to spend more on more ammo and some training. All combined you might spend 1,500 bucks, probably far more than your life is worth right?

If this is what you decided to do, please place plastic drop cloths on everything you own and be dam sure any file cabinets are closed and locked.

Because if you do get stabbed to death in the teens of times each per person, it makes a wicked nasty mess. What ever is left of your family will thank me for it. if you happen to have any black leather furnishing junk them.

My sis in law wearing white slacks, in her grief sat down on a black leather ottoman and when she stood back up I saw what I hadn't noticed before. That ottoman was covered in blood. The telling her she needed new pants ASAP was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

It's your life, do what you want.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 PM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
The scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark comes to mind (the big guy with a big sword--or was it a scimitar--and HF with a pistol). Simply use the most practical, effective (and easiest to use) weapon for the job. A gun.

Do you pound nails with an oak stick? Do you eat with a toothpick? Do you drink from a thimble? The question is not whether you could. It's whether it is an effective tool for the job.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
a broadsword.

a friend of mine owns a broadsword. in 1993 in KCMO, a man broke into his home. the crook threatened him with a knife, my friend promptly cut the crooks arm off right above the elbow.
Geeze i bet that made a mess......... How did that work out in a Court of Law

I do own 2 scottish dirks and a back sword (basket hilt) Not toys.

The sword is for weddings of course and dancing where the sword is placed on the floor, not waved around like a fool. The dirks are for the day the wrong bad guy ends up my captive, and I get curious and poke and prod

That comes under 'We love to caress'

Old 12-06-2012, 05:39 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Geeze i bet that made a mess......... How did that work out in a Court of Law

I do own 2 scottish dirks and a back sword (basket hilt) Not toys.

The sword is for weddings of course and dancing where the sword is placed on the floor, not waved around like a fool. The dirks are for the day the wrong bad guy ends up my captive, and I get curious and poke and prod

That comes under 'We love to caress'

the guy was a wanted felon, had his knife still in his chopped off arm and hand, and he got 6 years for the 2 crimes. plus the fact that he went to prison minus 1 arm.
the DA refused to press charges aginst my friend for self defense.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Which I also have.

Thanks.
It depends on the length of the hammer or knife. A standard hammer is a little longer than your average chef knife or most knives. It is compact enough for CQB.

A hammer is a good weapon for self defense. It is slower than a knife because of the momentum, but I think it has better stopping power. You hit someone hard in the forearm with a hammer, and you likely disable his arm. You slash that same spot with a knife, and is still functioning, unless you slice it off cleanly. Hit someone in the face with a hammer squarely, and you render him down for the count and smash through the skull. Hit him with the knife, you need to penetrate all the way to the brain which is unlikely with a knife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness