Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:27 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times

Advertisements

Water is the big problem, Rambler. That's what makes you have to go back into town. What's your system - do you buy it all or do you filter it from a natural source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
You are right about assumptions. I can only go by what the OP has written on the topic. She as I said may have more on the ball than she has written. I think travel is good for children past say third grade, depending on the child and they can learn a great deal and be enriched by the travel like yours were or they could be bored to tears, shuffled here and there, left in cars for a long while and exposed to risk depending on the parenting. I think the folks here are rightly concerned and are telling the OP to think twice. Really not bad advice considering the info we've been given.

For the folks talking about nightly camping fees: Arizona State Park last night, $25 and tax, Arizona small town private campground $36. NM campground in Albuquerque last week $28, winter rates.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Agree about the KOA's, etc. They're not for me but some people seem to like them. They're cheaper than a motel room and conveniently located near the highways.
Yes, they are cheaper than a motel room, but not by all that much. In many parts of the country, Motel 6 rooms are about $35 a night. That price varies with supply and demand, of course, and some Motel 6's may cost $50 or more. Besides, local independent motels are normally cheaper than Motel 6 anyway. I have never felt I was getting my money's worth at a KOA or similar, because for not that much more I could have a motel room.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:35 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Water is the big problem, Rambler. That's what makes you have to go back into town. What's your system - do you buy it all or do you filter it from a natural source?
The only time I've ever bought water was when I was camped outside the little town of Norwood, Colorado and the aristocrats upstream in Telluride decided that it was okay to dump their untreated sewage into the water drainage that everyone else depended on for their drinking water. EVERYONE except the residents of Telluride was forced to buy their drinking water for two months before potable water was available from the tap again.

I start out with anywhere from 20 to 40 gallons of water in 10 gallon containers, depending on where I'm headed. I use those cheap 10 gallon containers and 5 gallon plastic cubies that you can buy at Walmart.

Being part desert rat, I am EXTREMELY aware of my water supply, so in addition to the above I'll have a couple of large canteens filled with water, full plastic water bottles, etc. The more assorted full water containers that I can toss in my truck, the better. I also start out with a couple of one gallon plastic milk jugs that I've filled with water and frozen. Throw 'em in the ice chest and don't waste money on buying a bag of ice until you're forced to. Plus, as the water melts, you can take nice swigs of ice water on a hot day.

When I go into the mountains I almost always make camp near a creek or stream. I use the water I've brought with me, but water from a stream is fine for a wash or even a bath. Jump in the San Miguel and I guarantee you won't even need a cup of coffee to wake up in the morning! If you're in a place where you don't want to go back into town, I'd suggest water purification tablets and ALWAYS camp near a natural water supply - preferably running water.

Even when I head in the opposite direction toward Utah and Canyonlands in the high desert, I prefer to make camp on the banks of the Colorado River, but I always, always make sure of my water supply going in. I have what I call my 20 mile walk-out rule. Always make sure you have enough water to sustain you if something happens and you have to get out on foot. Never go anywhere that you can't walk back from to at least the nearest dirt road (I have a habit of driving up creek beds, so I always keep that one in mind). If I make a dry camp out in canyon country, I'll return to a town or a public campground faucet when my water supply drops to 10 gallons. There is no such thing as being too paranoid about water if you decide to spend time in the desert.

So depends on what you're doing. My favorate set-up is to camp alongside a stream on public lands 10 or 20 miles outside of a small town like I posted before. And again, this is advice for the Rocky Mountains and Inter-mountain West. Don't take my word for ANYTHING. Double check with other people who have done it and do a bunch of Google searches. And don't anybody go out in the desert alone if you don't have the experience!

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 01-06-2013 at 09:50 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 05:05 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
And don't anybody go out in the desert alone if you don't have the experience!
I want to go with you!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I want to go with you!
Ha, ha! We could hit Island in the Sky (part of Canyonlands) by early March. Let me know when you're ready to go and don't forget your canteen!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM

203 posts, read 517,378 times
I have a feeling the OP has dumped this thread but if I were her and did make a trip with my 12 year old son in tow I would make sure that he has private time to himself. Lets not try to even beat around the bush on this fact; he is 12, 12 year old kids are at that time of age where they are starting to be hormonal and want to explore their own bodies. I would have been mortified, and stir crazy, if I had to live with my mother, in a van, when I was that age.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:03 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Thanks, Rambler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
.....For the folks talking about nightly camping fees: Arizona State Park last night, $25 and tax, Arizona small town private campground $36. NM campground in Albuquerque last week $28, winter rates.
Times that by 30 to get the monthly tab ...... it's too much for people on a small income.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:41 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Ha, ha! We could hit Island in the Sky (part of Canyonlands) by early March. Let me know when you're ready to go and don't forget your canteen!
My 10 gallon one you mean.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
the Op said they wanted to do a Conversion on a Dodge Caravan which IMO a full-size Ford E-350 or Chevy 3500 where old fleet moving vans that rental car companies auction off every 2-3 years is a better way to go this is just IMO.

It is built on a full frame 1-Ton Truck Chassis and they will allow you to build a Conversion van that will not max out our exceed the GVRD Rating and a Caravan is a not Rated for very much over a mid-Size FWD CAR

Also B-Class RV are build on the Ford Econoline and Chevy Express vans and finding a late model E-350 with the 7.3 power stoke diesel would be one van that will have the reliable drivetrain and parts are still easy to find due to sharing most parts with full-size Trucks same with GM Express with 8.1 Vortec V-8 Gasser would allow you to be able to tow a small Car or decent size Trailer behind it also.

I would look into a used C-Class RV to live for the extra Room due to having more than one person living with you and privacy is a something that is nice to have and will prevent a lot of arguments if everyone has their own private space to call their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness