Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 PM

63 posts, read 164,097 times

Advertisements

In upstate South Carolina, I have over 100 acres of land surrounded by hundreds of untouched acreage. The land is mostly wooded with a stream, medium size pond, and gentle topography. There is abundant wildlife and great soil with a mild climate for a long growing season. I would like to sell or leases shares of this land to individuals or families who will make this property their home and will work the land and be a part of a community of like-minded individuals. I am in the beginning stages of this project but wanted to put out some feelers to see if there is any interest. This would be a cost effective way to own land without a large initial investment.

Last edited by bethany1776; 01-07-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 02:08 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
I'm sure you will find a few folks who are interested. But, from what I've seen here on this forum and elsewhere, people are VERY skeptical about such proposals. Main problem is, I think, that there have been scams of this nature where people have lost a lot of money, and that in general, most people simply do not want to live that way (in sort of an agrarian communal setting). Personally, I'm not at all opposed to it--in fact I'm very interested in a more historical form of agrarianism. But, generally, I think you might have a hard time finding people who are interested in that lifestyle that actually understand the work involved and would stick with it and not become discouraged when they found out its different from the modern US leisure push-button society.

I do wish you luck though. I'd love to actually see a community of "historical agrarians" (ala Amish) actually work out, yet not be 100% driven by religion. Nothing against religion, but most of those sorts of communities are religious in a rather severe degree. I've never figured out why others interested in that lifestyle haven't done something similar.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Honestly, I don't think most people are skeptical because they think it's a scam, but more because this type of thing so rarely works out... It's a commune of sorts, afterall. And there are very few of those that make it.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 PM

Hi Chris, Thank you for the reply. I look at all the lake and golf course communities as a model for this. Most folks cant afford their own golf course, lake, pools, manicured gardens.... so they buy a home in a development and pay monthly dues to enjoy the benefits mentioned above. This could work the same way only instead of the golf course you get hunting grounds, fishing lake, community gardens, practical energy efficient homes, and a self sustainable community with like minded people.

I'd like to see a democratic, secular community with a high tolerance for various religions, races, and the such.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Honestly, I don't think most people are skeptical because they think it's a scam, but more because this type of thing so rarely works out... It's a commune of sorts, afterall. And there are very few of those that make it.
Any ideas on why they don't work? What do you believe is the downfall of these type of communities?

Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM

346 posts, read 786,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany1776 View Post
In upstate South Carolina, I have over 100 acres of land surrounded by hundreds of untouched acreage. The land is mostly wooded with a stream, medium size pond, and gentle topography. There is abundant wildlife and great soil with a mild climate for a long growing season. I would like to sell or leases shares of this land to individuals or families who will make this property their home and will work the land and be a part of a community of like-minded individuals. I am in the beginning stages of this project but wanted to put out some feelers to see if there is any interest. This would be a cost effective way to own land without a large initial investment.

Hmmm, .. I can get a school bus that'll probably hold 40 or so people.
I'll swing by the projects in Newark NJ and gather a few folks together, post the directions to your place.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
Hmmm, .. I can get a school bus that'll probably hold 40 or so people.
I'll swing by the projects in Newark NJ and gather a few folks together, post the directions to your place.

HMMM I'm sure your comment has some deeper meaning behind it but I'm just not that clever or witty enough to figure it out.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:15 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
HMMM I'm sure your comment has some deeper meaning behind it but I'm just not that clever or witty enough to figure it out.
You'll get a lot of that kind of thing here, unfortunately.

He's probably implying that "agrarian lifestyle" proponents are a bunch of deadbeats that just don't want to work. He doesn't really understand that that lifestyle involves FAR more work that about 99% of the jobs of today. And a hell of a lot more time as well. He doesn't realize that his folks from the "projects" would last about a day before they high-tailed it back to TV, Doritos, and the ol' welfare check.

Don't let that comment get to you, though; there are a few people here who are very knowledgeable about "back to the land" sorts of topics, even though they are not part of any sort of community or commune centered on that lifestyle--and thankfully, they are generally not so cynical. I'm sure they will chime in.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Quote:
Any ideas on why they don't work? What do you believe is the downfall of these type of communities?
Because I tend to think more folks are individualistic than they realize they are. I mean, many of us DO realize it which is why you find people like me out in the boonies, feeling crowded by my neighbors a mere 3/4 of a mile away.
But many people who think they can make something like this work out find that they like to be more in charge of their own ship than they'd first realized, KWIM?
What you're proposing is just another type of HOA afterall.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,200 times
I spent time in an agrarian commune in the 70s. Since I was young and had no monetary commitment in the community I was able to take everything with a grain of salt that happened at the time. Others that had their dollars and livelihoods tied up there had much more conflict with situations that arose there.

As I saw and experienced then, the reason these things tend not to work out is many. A few folks think that it's "free" living and they don't do doodley squat taking all that they can for bare minimum effort. Others want to be the chiefs and often don't have the leadership skills, emotional stability or know how to be in charge. Others talk a good game but stand around with coffee cups or leaning on hoes saying things like "many hands make light work". Indeed. Others have to be catered to constantly. Being high maintenance drama kings and queens, every situation requires alteration to avert crisis. There are posers, pot stirrers, covert and illicit affairs and the commune gossip. Even with the best of intentions it can all become dysfunctional as people lose sight of the goals and get mired in the day to day. The 20-30% that work hard, keep their heads down, go with the flow and that effectively pull the majority of the load just get sick of it and find greener pastures.

It's the reason that I'll never buy a condo. I don't want to hang my fortune on the failure of other people to plan ahead, be reasonable, to behave rationally, ethically or considerately. It's easier to do for myself than for myself and x number of other people that can't or won't do for themselves. It's easier and more peaceful to put distance and a good fence between myself and folks that won't manage their children or pets, want to hoard and stack junk or that fight or party into the night.

I wish you luck. I think to make the thing work a good set of covenants need to be written to protect you, your land, the community as a whole and anyone individually that "buys" in. It would necessarily be a very comprehensive legal document. I'd talk to a real estate attorney in SC before proceeding.

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 01-07-2013 at 09:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness