Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 03:43 PM

53 posts, read 124,086 times

Advertisements

Hi I am looking to move to a place with cool summer temps (20 days or less > 90F), but the cost of living is VERY important. I am not a survivalist, but would like to start hunting and fishing to be more self sufficient. I would also like to have access to clean free or cheap water and also low cost electricity. I am wondering if I could read some examples of how some people who are creative and have been able to live inexpensively and what places might be a good fit for this kind of living. I would prefer to live in the country near a large sized city to have access to things like good medical treatment, airport, shopping, and entertainment.

I would like to buy a home for around 200k or less and keep taxes and utilities low. I need about 2000 sq. ft. of living space. I would preferably like to live in an area with minimal natural disasters, but I don't want to limit examples and it would be great to hear some real life examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 05:34 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapha View Post
Hi I am looking to move to a place with cool summer temps (20 days or less > 90F), but the cost of living is VERY important. I am not a survivalist, but would like to start hunting and fishing to be more self sufficient. I would also like to have access to clean free or cheap water and also low cost electricity. I am wondering if I could read some examples of how some people who are creative and have been able to live inexpensively and what places might be a good fit for this kind of living. I would prefer to live in the country near a large sized city to have access to things like good medical treatment, airport, shopping, and entertainment.

I would like to buy a home for around 200k or less and keep taxes and utilities low. I need about 2000 sq. ft. of living space. I would preferably like to live in an area with minimal natural disasters, but I don't want to limit examples and it would be great to hear some real life examples.
There are two places to save big money for a long time. You house and your car (if you REALLY need one).

First NO ONE NEEDS 2000 sq ft house! Secondly, drive a used car until the wheels fall off of it then buy another used car.

Learn the value of "Enough" so that you won't be trapped by want of things you don't really need.
Professional Destiny – Job vs. Career vs. Vocation » the concept of enough
Americans and the Concept of ENOUGH! - Another Perspective

Then when you get to feeling life has been unfair to you remember this........ "We are all victims of our wants and desires but our needs are always met." So chill back and take life as it comes.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,163 times
Quote:

So you want to spend $200K to live inexpensively. Hmmm.
OD

Old 01-17-2013, 10:34 PM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
There is no such thing as a 2000 sq ft house that was initially inexpensive or inexpensive to maintain, heat, cool, power, etc...

Of course, "inexpensive" is a relative term, but generally speaking, there is nothing inexpensive about a home the size of a motel from 100 years ago.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:36 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
Sounds like my father's idea of inexpensive. He also wants to be near a large city. I'd just get a house and quit paying, let it go into foreclosure and you'll get to live there free a few years.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,759 times
Tough crowd...

You didn't mention the need for a job but the first 2 places that are popping into mind based on your needs are Eastern Kentucky or central Ohio.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 AM

Thanks everyone, I think . Well I guess I did ask the survival area, but I was thinking maybe you all have some good ideas versus just the normal slap some solar on....I hear you on the 2000 sq. ft. home point, but it's all relative. In the minimalist debate a homeless person would be the winner, but only the one who does not have any sleeping structure. Otherwise, the size of their sleeping structure (cardboard box or sleeping bag) could be debatable also.

Thanks Ryan!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,309 times
First off, how many people will be living in your home? Find a newer airtight home, put in the low energy lightbulbs, gas stove to cook, woodstove to help heat, used car that has good gas mileage, try to get as many errands done in one trip as possible, use coupons, buy meats that are marked down, eat losts of pasta and rice meals, try to grow your own vegetables to freeze, don't eat out, do not subscribe to the bells and whistles of cable..use netflix or hulu, just have a cellphone and no landline, lower internet package, buy clothes on clearance or yardsales or Goodwill. These are some good starters.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 PM

Thanks Tarragon! I appreciate the info. I would like to get some ideas on where to live. Maybe others can chime in also. looking to live near a big city (within 40 minutes of a 500k population or more) that also has a cooler summer climate, low property and income taxes and that has affordable homes.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:18 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,163 times
Quote:
Thanks Tarragon! I appreciate the info. I would like to get some ideas on where to live. Maybe others can chime in also. looking to live near a big city (within 40 minutes of a 500k population or more) that also has a cooler summer climate, low property and income taxes and that has affordable homes.
The area in the 40 mile radius south of Austin/Dripping Springs area would work for you. Fertile land (on the east side of I-35), no income tax in Texas, and many counties have no building codes. Proximity to Austin and San Antonio. Lots of organic and green markets for food and CSAs.

However, property taxes are exorbitant AND you will be hard pressed to find a 2000 sqft home with some land below $200K.

Now, as for your debate of homeless vs mansion - it is all relative but you cannot get blinded with the "0 or 100 mentality" or "black or white" thinking. You can, however, try your best to minimize the space your need and the energy you need to expend.

So, in ABSOLUTE terms - a well built 2000 sqft home wil more energy efficient than a poorly built 1000 sqft shack BUT a well built 1000 sqft home (something like straw bale for example) will always be more energy efficient than the same 2000 sqft home and hence cheaper to heat and cool etc.

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness