Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 01:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
The govt owns large quantities of Monsanto stock nm the revolving doors. Why would someone dismiss such conflicts of interest?
No, they do not. Investors, the people who make the world a better and wealthier place, own all of it. Whether that investor is an employee or individual investor with a few shares or a gigantic pension fund makes no difference.

If people don't wish to eat GMO foods let them harvest cattails in their local marsh. Cattails are both tasty and nutritious.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:18 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
No, they do not. Investors, the people who make the world a better and wealthier place, own all of it. Whether that investor is an employee or individual investor with a few shares or a gigantic pension fund makes no difference.

If people don't wish to eat GMO foods let them harvest cattails in their local marsh. Cattails are both tasty and nutritious.
I suggest you go read some govt accounting. The govt does indeed own Monsanto shares. You can do this with any publicly traded corp. Through their many investment funds. There are about 185,000+ of these orgs each with many different funds. The state CAFRs are probably easiest to read and get your hands on. Commingled Funds are an area to look at also. Saying govt is an investor still makes them govt. You can do the math on only a few of these corps and then see how they use proxy voting through corporate governance to direct these corps.

Here is an example.
Should the ways the law treat corporations...

Old 06-15-2013, 02:48 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I bet RJ Reynolds wishes that they had been able to have stacked the deck as well as Monsanto, Bayer and Dow have. With so many former executives [with stock options] now running the federal government; what chance will consumers ever have?

Old 06-15-2013, 07:05 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
They're tested before they're sold in groceries.

And they're actually tested MORE than crops created by randomly irradiating plants to create mutations, which BTW seems pretty damn scary to me. Random haphazard mutations vs precise DNA changes? And did you know that mutation bred crops can be sold as organic?

BioNuclear Bunnytm: Organic Mutated Wheat
You are diverting the topic. There are no LONG TERM studies since GMOs have not been around for that long. The proper thing to do would be to put the burden of proof on people who want to sell them.

Plus, if GMOs are so great and tested extensively, why is everyone so afraid of putting that on a label. Should I not have the right to decide what I am buying? Or do you think Monsanto should make that choice for me?

Old 06-15-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:

The goal of an investor (and hence the corporation they invest in) is to make profit and ONLY to make profit. You seem to think that investing equals good deeds, as if good is some kind of a guaranteed side effect of investing. There are numerous examples throughout our history where a corporation (and its happy investors) destroyed habitat and people to produce profit. Been happening, still happening, you know it, I know it, the birds know it, the bees know it....Since you do not seem uneducated the only other option I can think of is that you are obviously trolling

Old 06-15-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I bet RJ Reynolds wishes that they had been able to have stacked the deck as well as Monsanto, Bayer and Dow have. With so many former executives [with stock options] now running the federal government; what chance will consumers ever have?

A lot of corporations have FORMER and FUTURE executives in the federal govt. Treasury department and Goldman Sachs, the FDA, USDA with Monsanto, Dow, Conagra, Tyson foods etc. It is a corrupt system and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:16 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
The goal of an investor (and hence the corporation they invest in) is to make profit and ONLY to make profit. You seem to think that investing equals good deeds, as if good is some kind of a guaranteed side effect of investing. There are numerous examples throughout our history where a corporation (and its happy investors) destroyed habitat and people to produce profit. Been happening, still happening, you know it, I know it, the birds know it, the bees know it....Since you do not seem uneducated the only other option I can think of is that you are obviously trolling
I love ad hominem attacks; they indicate that I've won the argument. Investing is for personal financial gain but the effects benefit everyone as only businesses that produce worthwhile products and services can prosper to reward their investors. That's how capitalism works; that's why it works very well.

Monsanto | A Sustainable Agriculture Company

Old 06-15-2013, 08:05 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

I often wonder what back-room coin toss the Tobacco Industry lost so the PTB could have their scapegoat. I mean, all this crap is harmful to some degree or another, but I doubt RJ Reynolds & Phillip Morris have caused more deaths and illness than Dow, Bayer, Pfizer, Monsanto, Syngenta, et al. And let's face it, Tobacco made the US a lot of money... and still does, through crazy "sin taxes" at home and the continuing international market.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I love ad hominem attacks; they indicate that I've won the argument. Investing is for personal financial gain but the effects benefit everyone as only businesses that produce worthwhile products and services can prosper to reward their investors. That's how capitalism works; that's why it works very well.

Monsanto | A Sustainable Agriculture Company
Sure....

Old 06-16-2013, 06:39 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Actually this is a point we should all contemplate. Everything has essentially become about commerce and the corporate model. This is the system model we have. This purpose of a corp is solely for profit for the shareholders or corp with minimum to no personal responsibility. We have Municipal corps owning Multinationals and both operate for profit. Municipals just call it revenues, assets, business activities etc...The corps invest in debt.
This is how the planet works. This model is global. Those same banks shareholder owned by govt in turn control 80% of global wealth.
Revealedthe capitalist network that runs the world - physics-math ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness