Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times

Advertisements

If you are stock piling food - make sure you read the labels and that they do not contain GMOs...

Regulators Discover a Hidden Viral Gene in Commercial GMO Crops

I wonder why this stuff gets discovered in Europe and not here....

OD

Old 01-23-2013, 03:08 PM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Probably because we are too busy eying Kim Kardashian's latest sexy high-heels and being hysterical with worry over football players' imaginary girlfriends to be bothered with anything that matters.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I wonder why this stuff gets discovered in Europe and not here.... OD
I think it's because some European countries allow labeling of food as xontaining GMOs, whereas here in the US, the FDA has decided there's no danger, and the food need not be labeled.

Wonder who's in bed with whom?

Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
How many people have died from eating GMO foods?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Too early to tell

Remember when DDT was the best thing in the world? And then it wasn't? Or freon? Or....?

All experiments that at the time were the best thing since sliced bread (so long as there was profit to be made).

OD

Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Too early to tell

Remember when DDT was the best thing in the world? And then it wasn't? Or freon? Or....?

All experiments that at the time were the best thing since sliced bread (so long as there was profit to be made).

OD
In other words, no one has died. This makes about as much sense as the squealing about brain tumors from cellphones and some horrible things (I don't recall what) caused by electric lines). A scientific theory is by definition subject to disproof. You're not practicing science. You're just caught up in peasant superstitions because no one can provide a negative proof.

Read a book on logic or, if you wish something tastier, read Aristotle. Rational people figured this out more than 2000 years ago. The peasant will never understand these simple precepts, however.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
No GMO food will cause death faster than having NO food put aside! I'll take the former; you take the latter, if you wish. We're all eating GMOs now anyway. Any dead CD Forum members will be immediately suspended!

Old 01-24-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
In other words, no one has died. This makes about as much sense as the squealing about brain tumors from cellphones and some horrible things (I don't recall what) caused by electric lines). A scientific theory is by definition subject to disproof. You're not practicing science. You're just caught up in peasant superstitions because no one can provide a negative proof.

Read a book on logic or, if you wish something tastier, read Aristotle. Rational people figured this out more than 2000 years ago. The peasant will never understand these simple precepts, however.
Happy, I think you are starting to think you are a deity... That's scary

I am trained in a hard science and I spent quite a few years of my career working with various molecular biology and bioinformatics labs and cancer research institutes (both private and public university labs). Unless you have done something similar....

If you understand any of the issues involved in this - there has simply not been enough time to observe all the possible effects of GMOs on the animals, people and the environment. I am not a PhD but I know enough to at least worry about all the possible outcomes...

Brain tumors and cell phones? Cell Phones and Cancer Risk - National Cancer Institute (this is from the National Cancer Institute with the NIH).

Since you claim you are some kind of aristocracy simply by knowing how to read - knock yourself out

OD

Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times
It's pretty sorry when death has to be the limit to decide if something is good or not. That isn't scientific or logical at all. I think someone might need to read his own books again.

But yeah, people have died from them. Home Page

Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 PM

31 posts, read 39,982 times
I'm a latchkey kid from the 70s. I'm pretty much screwed anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness