Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 03:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times

Advertisements

I read this book several years ago. I came upon it tonight while doing some book arranging. It's a fascinating book about what happened in the Chernobyl area after the explosion and irradiation. It will surprise many to learn that there are thriving plant and animal communities with generally normal ecological relationships. There are even a few ordinary people who live there. In many ways it fits the bill for the ultimate off-the-grid life—if only it weren't for the radiation. However, levels of radioactivity vary widely. I found this to be inspiring and insightful rather than scary. I recommend it.

Read the reviews and the sample. If you're the sort likely to survive new situations and problems, you will then buy the book.

You won't learn better ways to grow turnips or how to be a mountain man from this work; you will; however gain a lot of background knowledge, something sorely lacking among most readers of this forum.

https://www.amazon.com/Wormwood-Fore...ormwood+forest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 05:49 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
^^^ I saw a documentary a few years back on the Chernoble area. It was about the wolves who had come back and re-established their territory there (or maybe, never left?). A camera crew followed a researcher who examined the wolves for abnormalities. I don't think he found any.

What impressed me most, other than the re-habitation of the area, was the way the wildlife researcher handled the wolves in person, wearing no protective gear, just talking to them. They were passive, almost like a North American wolf would be. But European and esp Russian wolves are known to be much more aggressive. This old Russian guy knew them well and had no fear.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
^^^ I saw a documentary a few years back on the Chernoble area. It was about the wolves who had come back and re-established their territory there (or maybe, never left?). A camera crew followed a researcher who examined the wolves for abnormalities. I don't think he found any.

What impressed me most, other than the re-habitation of the area, was the way the wildlife researcher handled the wolves in person, wearing no protective gear, just talking to them. They were passive, almost like a North American wolf would be. But European and esp Russian wolves are known to be much more aggressive. This old Russian guy knew them well and had no fear.
Many animals at Chernobyl are almost tame because of extended contact with people. There are crews there still working to reduce radioactive contamination spreading. However, wolf attacks of people are rare. Wolves are pack animals with a hierarchical society. They're the ancestors of the dog. The mitochondrial DNA of dogs is pure wolf, but who would deny that that humans and dogs have an extraordinary relationship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_attacks_on_humans

Old 01-24-2018, 10:57 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
I'm currently on book #4 of the "going home" series

Old 01-24-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I'm currently on book #4 of the "going home" series
I'm curious: were you trying to create the ultimate example of bathos?

Old 01-24-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm curious: were you trying to create the ultimate example of bathos?

What is bathos?

Old 01-24-2018, 02:45 PM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
What is bathos?
It is something to do with anticlimatic stories,
but I don't see how it fits here, unless he
doesn't know what the series is about.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
What is bathos?
If we combine the two posts previous to yours with yours, we get bathos. In this case it's a literary joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathos

Old 01-24-2018, 04:24 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Just finished Stranger In The Woods.
About the Maine hermit who lived in total isolation for 27 years.
Very interesting story.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
It is something to do with anticlimatic stories,
but I don't see how it fits here, unless he
doesn't know what the series is about.
He can mock all he wants, doesn't bother me. I enjoy reading stories that I find interesting

To each their own...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness