Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM

30,161 posts, read 23,552,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Watch out for those invisible drones. They often accompany the black helicopters. But only at night. Of course, that's precisely when they'll come for you.
Typical response of someone who doesn't get it. You allude to an extreme and toss it out like it's truth, my truth. You don't even know me.

Come back when you wish to have an intelligent discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 12:34 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,085,752 times
Its been a while since I gave out that many reps in one thread. Seriously, relax OP. Its just for marketing purposes. Do you think that girl gets off on asking "what is your zip code?" a hundred times a day? Are you really that paranoid big brother is going to come and take your knife?

I work in tech support and deal with the general public. It's such a joy at times. I have to ask every customer what their call back number is. Its in case we get disconnected and I have the option of calling them back. The calls are recorded and management listens to them later. If I do not ask for a call back number I am marked down. 80% of the people just ramble it off but then I get that 20% that get ticked. What do you need my number for? Don't you have it already? Why? Why? Why? I spend more time explaining the simple concept vs if they just gave me their damn number to begin with. I even had one guy say if we get disconnected its on me. Really? You call in on your crappy cell phone and its on me if we drop? These are the same people that have a complete fit when they get disconnected and no one calls them back. I cant tell you how many times I have had a call drop and I call the customer back and they are like "OH THANK YOU THANK YOU for calling me back. I thought I would have to call back in and sit on hold again." I just dont understand why certain people have to make things so hard for no good reason.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Look at the lemmings. "It doesn't mean anything...."

Yet.

I saw someone say this on the forum somewhere and it's fitting here, as well:

Throw a frog in hot, boiling water and it jumps out. Throw a frog in cold water and turn the heat on, it will just sit there.

You, friends, are the frog.

It's not because the cashier asked to have a zip code entered. Sorry the lemmings don't understand that. In fact, I'm sorry the lemmings don't understand much that is going on these days.
Oh spare me. I understand wanting to protect your privacy but this is lunatic paranoid stuff here. They can no more tell anything about you personally from your ZIP code than from the color of your shirt. And I don't go trying to conceal the color of my shirt.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 PM

657 posts, read 714,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Its been a while since I gave out that many reps in one thread. Seriously, relax OP. Its just for marketing purposes. Do you think that girl gets off on asking "what is your zip code?" a hundred times a day? Are you really that paranoid big brother is going to come and take your knife?

I work in tech support and deal with the general public. It's such a joy at times. I have to ask every customer what their call back number is. Its in case we get disconnected and I have the option of calling them back. The calls are recorded and management listens to them later. If I do not ask for a call back number I am marked down. 80% of the people just ramble it off but then I get that 20% that get ticked. What do you need my number for? Don't you have it already? Why? Why? Why? I spend more time explaining the simple concept vs if they just gave me their damn number to begin with. I even had one guy say if we get disconnected its on me. Really? You call in on your crappy cell phone and its on me if we drop? These are the same people that have a complete fit when they get disconnected and no one calls them back. I cant tell you how many times I have had a call drop and I call the customer back and they are like "OH THANK YOU THANK YOU for calling me back. I thought I would have to call back in and sit on hold again." I just dont understand why certain people have to make things so hard for no good reason.

depression, no self worth, no love for follow man, no love for self, anger, hate and you guess it the big one "HATE" and misery.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,176,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Quote:
Went to Academy Sports to pick up a new all purpose knife. When I went to check out, the cashier said 'Enter your ZIP code'. I told her 'no'. She got very upset. She said it was only for statistical purposes, no one could identify me from the ZIP code. I still told her 'no'; that it was a privacy issue for me. She then very huffily told me that they could get more information from my credit card than the ZIP code. I told her that was why I pay cash.

As I was walking away, she made a comment to a coworker that I must be paranoid since I was buying a 'big ol' knife' and wouldn't give my ZIP code. I went back and told her I was stocking up on assault knives before the government banned them or required a background check before purchasing.
This is not the first time I had to tell a business to mind their own business. I think I will start giving them the ZIP code for the FBI, or the U.S. Mint!

I'm getting too old for this nonsense.
I would imagine most customers at any Academy would be from the general area. When asked for my zip - in any store of any kind - I just give the downtown post office zip code.

It has nothing to do with survival but everything to do with privacy.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:01 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,395,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Typical response of someone who doesn't get it. You allude to an extreme and toss it out like it's truth, my truth. You don't even know me.

Come back when you wish to have an intelligent discussion.
I hate intelligent discussion. That's why I come here, instead.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,698,595 times
So, please, do tell: What is the huge deal in giving your ZIP code to a cashier (or giving a fake one)?? Do you think "BIG BROTHER" will come-a -looking for you with his "EYE IN THE SKY" peeping into your windows and hiding spycams and recording devices in your home and, while you're sleeping, slipping microchips in your brains so he will know what you're thinking.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Oh my goodness!!!! Lowes Home Improvement is going to find me!!! I bought a flashlight there last month and gave me (gasp!!) ZIP CODE!!! AAAAHHHHHH!!!! Help!!!! Save me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about THINKING as to why a business would want your ZIP CODE ---- which, by the way, is NOT identifying information about YOU. Gee, ya think maybe they're collecting data to see who their customer base is? Where they should advertise more in order to bring in new customers? Where they should put billboards?

No, of course not.... they're trying to track you down. They'll find you. They're going to use that ZIP code and find you AND your whole family!!!!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,698,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oh spare me. I understand wanting to protect your privacy but this is lunatic paranoid stuff here. They can no more tell anything about you personally from your ZIP code than from the color of your shirt. And I don't go trying to conceal the color of my shirt.

Exactly.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 PM

25,305 posts, read 18,459,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How did we become such uptight ninnies that we threaten to get people fired for asking for your ZIP code? It must be a burden going through life being so indignant about the most trivial encounters.
And how did we become a society where it's anyone's business except the guy at the post office reading the code on the front of the letter and putting it in the right bin?

For me personally, it's not so much about information, anyway. It's about wasting my time. I go to a store to purchase a product. What that should consist of is me handing a cashier some currency and me walking out of the store with said product. I don't go into the store to play footsie with the cute girls and exchange numbers with them. If I wanted to do that, I'd head for a bar somewhere. Just like everything else, I want it simple--a simple transaction with no fuss. No games. And no footsie. If I asked for her zip or phone number, I'd probably be carted off to jail.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 PM

15,967 posts, read 20,946,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
alot of stores that ask for zip code have policies in place that if the customer refuses to give the zip code, to just put the store zip code down instea.
No they don't. That's what the cashier does to try to stay out of trouble for NOT being able to get your zip code. Or there is no option to override so they stick in any old number just to be able to finish the transaction.
Believe it or not the cashiers are monitored for those kinds of things and if they don't meet their quotas for this that and the other, they can get into trouble, up to and including termination. So either they get persistent or they learn to fudge it. Some people aren't comfortable with fudging so they will do their utmost to actually get the required info.
Besides it's just a freakin' zip code, shared with how many thousands of other people? It's not 'personal' information. Stores track all kinds of info about their clients, even when you make cash purchases. Zip code is just a small piece of the the puzzle as to who their client base is.

Just as an aside let me share a few of the fun facts they deduce from all the analyzing---
Young men often tend to buy beer and baby diapers in the same trip. (honey could you do me a favor while your out, junior needs more diapers)
Women often buy chocolate when they buy their feminine needs.
Adult diapers in the shopping cart are often accompanied by butterscotch or other types of old fashion candies.
Frightening isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness