Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:49 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I'm going to start a garden! I really missed it.

I have a garden, and cannot wait for the soil to fully defrost, so I can start working on it. I raise 12 to 14'' dahlias.

A garden gives me peace and joy. The best therapy in the world, without pills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 05:43 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
I start every day with an orange. Get the whole system started, drops weight, gives energy.

Conversely, grandpa used to start every day with a glass of warm water out of the wood stove cistern. We think his kick starting his system was one of the reasons he hit 99. It sure wasn't his diet, coffee, or the homemade headcheese.
My grandpa drank a cup of hot tap water every morning! He lived into his nineties and was gardening when he tripped over his hose, broke a hip, had surgery and died three days later of pneumonia. I swear he would have lived another 20 years had he not fallen. But surely the cup of hot water did something for these early generations that our coffee/tea/whatever isn't doing.

I eat too much, mostly out of boredom. And at my age, sitting on the sofa feels sooooo nice, especially with a bowl of popcorn or a bag of chips nearby.

I really need to try that hot water thing.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Would you please translate this for me in English, so I can understand it? Thank you,
No habla yunqueies? You don't speak yankee?

My wife says i will be just fine as soon as the sun comes out...

She says this is all in my head.......

We shall see.... Yellow bikini pics forth coming in yer dreams LOL

I do have a yellow tee shirt

Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I have a garden, and cannot wait for the soil to fully defrost, so I can start working on it. I raise 12 to 14'' dahlias.

A garden gives me peace and joy. The best therapy in the world, without pills.
I'm going to collect soil samples in the morning to send for testing. If the heavy metals are ok, I'll be growing heirloom veggies. If they are high, I'll grow flowers and some container veggies. I miss homegrown tomatoes.

Wish me luck!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
I lost 10 pounds this winter, but I don't think I'm shopping for a bikini anytime soon. lol
Winters are pretty mild down here, so life carries on pretty much the same as always with very little hibernation time. Besides, I have livestock chores.

DH, on the other hand, gained it now that he's trucking. He should be wearing a 31 as his 30s are too snug, but he refuses to buy up. "I've worn a 30x40 since I was a junior in high school!!"
So I guess he's still wearing a 30x40. Just a really snug one.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 AM

30x40? That jeans? if so this guy must be like the spiderman..... I used to be 32x33 for shrinkage I am only 5' 10.75" But i went to be 34x33, but not for shrinkage anymore. This is jeans.

At the moment I am only good for 106 sit ups...... Here's ta' little yellow bikini's

I hear tell these sit ups are good for a bad back too, but I gotta wonder because i feel more like the walking dead.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,405 times
Shell out the money for a iPad mini and you can surf the net while you walk on the tread mill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Over the past 12 weeks it came to me i am a fat lazy dub because of the blasted PC!
Why I went from waist size 32 to 34 !
I feel old, tired and weak!

So I been out bustin my own ass x-c skiin', back country snow shoein' and winter hiking on spikes.
It's hard, it hurts, it makes me cry
At the end of the day there is no coffee latte'!

Come ta' think of it, I don't even know what that is, so I have no idea why I would miss it, but the fussissykated say I should..

So whatcha' been dooin' yer old selves to get into Spring Little Yellow Bikini Condition?

And have you picked one out yet?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:19 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
30x40? That jeans? if so this guy must be like the spiderman..... I used to be 32x33 for shrinkage I am only 5' 10.75" But i went to be 34x33, but not for shrinkage anymore. This is jeans.

At the moment I am only good for 106 sit ups...... Here's ta' little yellow bikini's

I hear tell these sit ups are good for a bad back too, but I gotta wonder because i feel more like the walking dead.

Sit ups will make yer belly bigger.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,271,755 times
Default Try the 'Y'

I joined the local 'Y'. Now I am exercising with a bunch of extremely fit people who make me feel inferior. I work out on both Nautilis and Cybex machines. I am also dancing and doing mat exercises. (We used to call this calisthenics). I have lost 30 pounds - averaging 4 pounds a month. I like having muscles again.

Now I will be able to sling those 40 LB bags of fertilizer into my car with ease!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Sit ups will make yer belly bigger.

I hope not...... What about sit ups and no beer? I haven't quit beer, but i haven't had any since early mid December, and have been out hiking. My idea of a tread mill I guess.

No work today either (rats) so will do a PO Box check to see if my pay check i there yet, and maybe go for a x-c ski.

It's a gray day and on gray days bout now I have to force any notions that are not work. If i was sugaring this year i might be out boiling off, but I am not sugaring this year.

I think this is just a case of old fat and bad gray cabin fever.... I hear the sun will be out on Saturday. Already have plans to eat lunch at Champney Falls. Should be a few ice climbers there to watch. it's just a 2 mile hike in and 2 miles back but that's enough for just to catch some sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness