Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 PM

69 posts, read 84,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
The dynamic that exists now, where emasculated and emaciated men of all ages tolerate modern woman's shallowness and materialism in exchange for sex[...]

I think you have perfectly described the "Why" behind the Real Housewives franchise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 01:01 PM

I'm glad that someone got a laugh out of this, but why do you leave me a message like "I don't normally care for what you have to say" as a rep comment - and so so anonymously?

That was pretty lame.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:00 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepHappy View Post
I'm glad that someone got a laugh out of this, but why do you leave me a message like "I don't normally care for what you have to say" as a rep comment - and so so anonymously?

That was pretty lame.
Because I normally don't care for anything you write. Despite the fact that I really do not like your topics and what you write about, post number 21 in this thread was both accurate and funny, and I felt moved to give you some reputation points. If you don't like the message I left you in the comment block of the reputation point, simply report it to a moderator, and they will sort it out for you. I never would have made such comments in a public forum or dragged the thread off topic, but you had to know.

Cheers,
bolillo_loco

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 03-10-2013 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
I currently barter with local hunters and trappers... I allow them to hunt and trap on my land for a cut of the take. Sometimes they'll kick in extra for a warm shelter, hot meal or cup of joe.

Of course, that's probably not quite the scenario you had in mind. From the replies, I get the feeling the scenario is more "what items can I trade for meat that I can't get myself". I've traded veggies/eggs/milk from the homestead for fish & game. Skills are nearly always barterable, as mentioned... cooking, tanning, preserving, sewing, repairs, first aid, etc.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I currently barter with local hunters and trappers... I allow them to hunt and trap on my land for a cut of the take. Sometimes they'll kick in extra for a warm shelter, hot meal or cup of joe.

That is a great idea. Are you willing to share more info on what a typical trade might look like (land-to-take ratio)?

Thank you!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepHappy View Post
That is a great idea. Are you willing to share more info on what a typical trade might look like (land-to-take ratio)?

Thank you!
Certainly.

I let one trapper set his line on my back 40 acres throughout the season (winter). In exchange, he gives us all the carcasses he doesn't use for bait, which we then feed to our dog since most furbearers don't exactly taste the best (but we'd eat them if we had too!). He also gives me first pick of 5 raw pelts a season (or 1 if it's a rare $$$$$ pelt). Also part of the deal is that if he can't get out here for a week or two for some reason, we'll check his line every few days for a can of gas.

Another hunter comes for moose. He can set up camp in our side field and hunt our entire property for the entire season (late summer/fall) in exchange for 1/4 of the meat & all offal (for the dog again) or the entire pelt. He often brings in a few grouse while he's out there, which he normally trades us for a home-cooked meal and a hot bath.

We know and trust these guys; and they respect our property, privacy and critters. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't offer such deals to just anyone. If I did let a random person in, I'd put a shorter time limit and a firmer quota to be met or else cash or other barterable would be required, with the caveat that they'd have to compensate me for any damages they cause to my property or livestock. You just can't trust people to be honorable and respectful these days.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:33 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Certainly.

I let one trapper set his line on my back 40 acres throughout the season (winter). In exchange, he gives us all the carcasses he doesn't use for bait, which we then feed to our dog since most furbearers don't exactly taste the best (but we'd eat them if we had too!). He also gives me first pick of 5 raw pelts a season (or 1 if it's a rare $$$$$ pelt). Also part of the deal is that if he can't get out here for a week or two for some reason, we'll check his line every few days for a can of gas.

Another hunter comes for moose. He can set up camp in our side field and hunt our entire property for the entire season (late summer/fall) in exchange for 1/4 of the meat & all offal (for the dog again) or the entire pelt. He often brings in a few grouse while he's out there, which he normally trades us for a home-cooked meal and a hot bath.

We know and trust these guys; and they respect our property, privacy and critters. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't offer such deals to just anyone. If I did let a random person in, I'd put a shorter time limit and a firmer quota to be met or else cash or other barterable would be required, with the caveat that they'd have to compensate me for any damages they cause to my property or livestock. You just can't trust people to be honorable and respectful these days.
Your name's familiar to me, in a positive light, so if it's not too much to ask, would you be so kind as to share with us what fur bearing animals suit your pallet, and which ones do not, and why they don't? For example, "We like rabbit because it's not tough, too greasy, etc.," or "We don't like Beaver because it's too greasy, hard to cook, and it has a bitter taste."

Interesting points on how you've bartered with others.

Cheers,
bolillo

Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
....if it's not too much to ask, would you be so kind as to share with us what fur bearing animals suit your pallet, and which ones do not, and why they don't? For example, "We like rabbit because it's not tough, too greasy, etc.," or "We don't like Beaver because it's too greasy, hard to cook, and it has a bitter taste."

Cheers,
bolillo
I second sir Bolillo on that.

Thank you for sharing these details.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
I know you asked this question of Missing, but she and I have a lot of the same experiences, and I am both a hunter and trapper, so I will add my 2 cents.

If you want to try something different, Bobcat is excellent. Very mild and tender.
Coyote is too tough and stringy, same with fox, and not much flavor.

Never tried martin.

I actually like beaver tail, but most of the rest of it is too greasy for me, and I don't like the flavor much. It is better if roasted over an open fire so the grease can drip away, but not a lot better in my opinion.
Beaver is a rodent, just like rabbits or even Muskrats, but there is just something about the flavor that doesn't appeal to my taste. It always seems to have kind of a musky aftertaste to me.
Haven't tried muskrat by the way...

I hear of folks that will eat skunk, I have never been that hungry

With any wild meat, especially preditors, be sure to cook the meat well done because they are prone to parasites such as Trichinosis in Bears.
Ringworm is another one, and there are several to choose from, so if it is an animal I plan to consume I look at the general health of the animal, check for scarring or visible infestations when skinning and gutting.
Check the liver and meat for spots or discoloration, chill the meat completely until ready for cooking and cook all the way through.

That holds for any wild game including squirrels or rabbits, deer, elk, bear, grouse or anything else I plan to eat or handle.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
Your name's familiar to me, in a positive light, so if it's not too much to ask, would you be so kind as to share with us what fur bearing animals suit your pallet, and which ones do not, and why they don't? For example, "We like rabbit because it's not tough, too greasy, etc.," or "We don't like Beaver because it's too greasy, hard to cook, and it has a bitter taste."

Cheers,
bolillo
Rabbit is great, but we have wild hares up here and they tend to be a little stringy and dry. Not much meat on them, but if we have some extra fat they do fry up nice.

Beaver is definitely greasy and a bit musky, but roasted tail can be nice. But we don't have those on our property since we're a little too far from the creek.

Lynx, marten, squirrel, ermine and weasel are the most plentiful. Lynx & marten are just weird, hard to explain but not pleasant. Squirrel, ermine & weasel are good roasted or stewed, but it takes a few to make a proper meal.

Wolves and wolverines are less common on our property, but NOT tasty at all.

Black bears can also be trapped as a furbearer (or hunted as game in a different season). They're yummy, if a little greasy and hard to come by in the winter (they be sleepin').

Porcupines aren't really furbearers, per se, but they are trappable. They're REALLY tasty, and the quills are super useful for all sorts of stuff (needles, vent screens, rakes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness