Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 05:00 AM

16 posts, read 21,761 times

Advertisements

I am almost all alone in the world. Things are fine right this minute but I am concerned about what will happen if I become incapacitated or senile. Who can I trust to handle my finances and to make sure I am not exploited. Any ideas are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 05:21 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorMyWorld View Post
I am almost all alone in the world. Things are fine right this minute but I am concerned about what will happen if I become incapacitated or senile. Who can I trust to handle my finances and to make sure I am not exploited. Any ideas are welcome.
I wouldn't sweat it. I've seen a lot of people that weren't alone and became incapacitated and or senile. The very people charged with taking care of them in fact robbed them blind. These were family members that were known and trusted. A relative and or friend that dies with money, property, and possessions brings out the very worst in their surviving family and friends.

In my area, people with no money or family go to the county home. In the county home, state rules have to be followed. I've seen a lot of people that refused to go to the county home because it used to be called "the county poor house" from the 1930s through the late 1970s. Many people took their modest retirements and savings to private homes where they were robbed and or got worse care than what the county would have provided.

I feel that these things sort themselves out. Furthermore, since the fed, state, and local governments usually have all sorts of intrusive laws, they're going to be getting a large portion of your estate, so you might as well let them steal it all...

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 03-23-2013 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

Old 03-23-2013, 08:55 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
This type of talk should load your in box with all sorts of nigerian scams and e-mails from barrister's. They won't have much trouble cleaning you out of what is yours.

I am older than you, but a difference I know one day my number will be up...... Not even the Democrats can avoid Death.

What you can do if you have excess, is make living wills and give now to those you wish, while you still can, and keep those who you don't know and never will know from doing it for you when you no longer can yourself.

I don't worry about things i can not deal with period. My problems are more based on dealing with the things I can deal with, which are too many.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
The courts will appoint a guardian.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:07 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Consult with your local elder law attorney for your particular jurisdiction and hope for the best. Even the lawyers will get their hands on anything of value.

I have rather strong feelings for my only son who abandon his only son to a mother who is a member of what I consider a cult type of religion. If my son couldn't deal with her cult, what ever made him think an innocent baby could? To me, that is a strong indicator of what I should expect from him in the future so he won't inherit, or have any say about my future care. In some instances, it is better to be alone than to have the wolves gathering when you can't defend yourself.

When we become senile, if we live that long, it won't matter us whether we are sleeping on cotton sheets or silk.

Don't borrow trouble from tomorrow as there is enough today.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:39 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
This is so sad. You are not alone in this, in this world, as many are in your situation. Before you do become unable to care for yourself you may want to talk to your church Pastor or elder. Many times they can be a real help in pointing you in the right direction. No church? You may want to look into joining one. How about making contact with old friends and relatives you haven't seen in awhile?

Old 03-24-2013, 07:16 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Geeze i hiked a mt today with my wife and i am 61........ We went up one side and part way down the other and that side was steep. being a day hike we had no choice but to go back or sleep in a snow bank..... 3.5 miles for today.

Big Rock Cave NH if anyone wants to google it, add winter if you want to see what we saw..... My pics will be up in a few days...

All I have is her really......

Old 03-24-2013, 07:33 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
This is so sad. You are not alone in this, in this world, as many are in your situation. Before you do become unable to care for yourself you may want to talk to your church Pastor or elder. Many times they can be a real help in pointing you in the right direction. No church? You may want to look into joining one. How about making contact with old friends and relatives you haven't seen in awhile?
I have worked with the elderly and I have seen some of them get manipulated by the pastor to will everything to them, leaving the elderly person in a nursing home; still ending up alone. I have also seen some of the children of the elderly clean their parents out to also leave them in a nursing home...alone.

The best advice I can give is leave it to the one who actually takes care of you during that time. If you have children and there is only one or two who actually cares for you, leave them the largest percentage. If a neighbor spends most of their time caring for you and your children do not, then leave a larger portion to the neighbor. It is the caregiver you leave the majority to. That is the one who sacrificed their time and life for you.

But what I am about to say, most of your will be horrified so get prepared for what I am about to say...

I truely do believe that the government along with the medical field via pharmacuetical companies will find a way to put an end to those who are unproductive to society. This will be the elderly over 70 years old who are sick and frail costing Medicare; drug addicts, the homeless, criminals, along with lazy teenagers who refuse to work and handicap children and adult which the govt has to give SSI/ Mediaid checks to. If you are unproductive, you are expendable.

I hope I am wrong but I doubt it

Old 03-25-2013, 01:36 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I have worked with the elderly and I have seen some of them get manipulated by the pastor to will everything to them, leaving the elderly person in a nursing home; still ending up alone. I have also seen some of the children of the elderly clean their parents out to also leave them in a nursing home...alone.
As have I. Those things are nothing new. But they don't happen to everyone. And if she needs a Nursing Home due to incontinence or senility there would be no choice for the caregiver. And you don't know what this person's financial situation is.

Is it better for them to sit alone for the rest of their lives because of such fears?

Quote:
The best advice I can give is leave it to the one who actually takes care of you during that time. If you have children and there is only one or two who actually cares for you, leave them the largest percentage. If a neighbor spends most of their time caring for you and your children do not, then leave a larger portion to the neighbor. It is the caregiver you leave the majority to. That is the one who sacrificed their time and life for you.
She claims she's alone. If she had these caregivers, she would not have posted here.

Quote:
But what I am about to say, most of your will be horrified so get prepared for what I am about to say...

I truely do believe that the government along with the medical field via pharmacuetical companies will find a way to put an end to those who are unproductive to society. This will be the elderly over 70 years old who are sick and frail costing Medicare; drug addicts, the homeless, criminals, along with lazy teenagers who refuse to work and handicap children and adult which the govt has to give SSI/ Mediaid checks to. If you are unproductive, you are expendable.

I hope I am wrong but I doubt it
That day may come but I doubt it will ever happen in the USA. You're talking about euthanasia for people who YOU consider of no value or use to society. Their families and loved ones may see things differently.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I agree with the poster who suggested seeing an elder law attorney. Take your current will with you or have him or her draw up a will. You also need a living will drawn up, and doing this will force you to think about your last days. You can revisit the living will every few years to make changes if you desire.

The attorney can suggest strategies for you.

You say you are almost all alone. I wonder if you don't want to entrust your welfare to the one or two you have left? See an attorney to find out how to protect yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness