Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,721 times

Advertisements

Guy lived in the woods for 27 years. Only thing he owns that isn't stolen is his glasses!

After 27 years of burglaries, 'North Pond Hermit' is arrested | The Kennebec Journal, Augusta, ME

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/04/1...-for-27-years/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 04:53 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
A common thief.

One problem we have in Maine is that LEOs don't like to get more than 50 feet from their patrol cars.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Someone called the jail where he's being held with a marriage proposal while a man Knight didn't know showed up on Saturday night offering to pay his $5,000 bail, The Kennebec Journal reported.

Worried Knight could be the target of someone looking to capitalise on his notoriety, authorities charged him with two additional counts of burglary and theft and increased his bail to $250,000.

Christopher Knight: Maine Hermit's bond increased by 5,000% after being inundated with wedding proposals and offers to bail him out | Mail Online
They are just out in the open saying "Forgot your Eighth Amendment rights". The populous forgot about those rights years ago anyway.

Another source of info;
Christopher Knight: inside the Maine hermit's lair | World news | guardian.co.uk

Old 04-16-2013, 06:32 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,412 times
The guy is fits most of the anti-social personality set, just without any of the aggressive or violent issues.

Quote:
-- Callous unconcern for the feelings of others
-- Gross and persistent attitude of irresponsibility and disregard for social norms, rules, and obligations
-- Incapacity to maintain enduring relationships
-- Incapacity to experience guilt
-- Extract from the ICD-10, excluding violent parts of the diagnosis. Not common, but not unique.

I'm all for personal space and feeling rejuvenated doing my own thing. However, when some one needs to lower their personal integrity to stealing in disregard to others...then you have a problem. Live anywhere with as much, or as little, contact with others as he liked in my opinion. Once he starts ripping off anyone who is in range because he simply wants to live as he wants without working for it, then there is a problem.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:55 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
The guy is fits most of the anti-social personality set, just without any of the aggressive or violent issues.

-- Extract from the ICD-10, excluding violent parts of the diagnosis. Not common, but not unique.

I'm all for personal space and feeling rejuvenated doing my own thing. However, when some one needs to lower their personal integrity to stealing in disregard to others...then you have a problem. Live anywhere with as much, or as little, contact with others as he liked in my opinion. Once he starts ripping off anyone who is in range because he simply wants to live as he wants without working for it, then there is a problem.
Ah, now here's a classic ideological many people fortunate enough to have never fallen upon truly hard times in this forum have.

He's a product of our society. We created him. Perhaps we bought him out of a job, he became disenchanted with life, and abandoned the society that obviously failed him. Finding a job paying a living wage in the early 80s was tough. Albeit, not as bad as today, but still hard nonetheless. Furthermore, it's rather easy to point the finger at a thief and run them down because we're more fortunate. How do we know what we'd do if we came home one day to find out we'd lost everything. Family, friends, all personal property and our job with no replacement insight. Further still, maybe the man's simply mentally ill. Perhaps he's simply a nefarious sod that threw away everything he owned and decided to become a miscreant. Who can say that they know? The prestitutes obviously lie and rarely report the facts. Just because the news says something doesn't make it so, and the article's about this man are rather vague and full of conjecture.

If the evidence supports, capture him, punish him, and if he caused enough personal property loss or damage jail him, the self righteous tone of most posts in this treat are quite telling about our society. It's no wonder we people like Knight exist.

I know that somebody out there feels that I've just given him a license to steal, and if that's indeed how the message you walked away with from reading my words, it's pointless to explain the situation.

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 04-17-2013 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,572,193 times
Wow, Just finished the Kennebec journal article, this guy had some serious problems.

"Showed shame and remorse for the thefts"
"Tried fishing but it was just too much work"
"Identifies the date of the Chernobyl disaster as the date he left as a time reference, not as motivation"

The guy kept a meticulous camp, was paranoid to the point he hid a yellow shovel using a black garbage bag. Hid his camp from air searches, walked on rocks to hide his tracks, didn't break any branches or leave sign when traveling through heavy cover, kept himself clean and shaven with a close haircut, but apparently never had a job?

He was capable of surviving Maine winters without a fire (he hadn't ever had a fire due to fear of detection), and apparently never tried to find a job as he left only 2 years after graduating high school. Would put on weight in the fall so he wouldn't eat as much during the winter so he wouldn't have to go steal more food and leave tracks in the snow.

This guy had some issues

Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
Ah, now here's a classic ideological many people fortunate enough to have never fallen upon truly hard times in this forum have. .
Knight never worked, from the articles he stated that he never even looked after getting out of high school. His "hard times" were brought onto himself by his own actions and his own decisions.

Plus, it's pretty sad to go around telling strangers how they fared in life from a single paragraph.

Quote:
He's a product of our society. We created him. Perhaps we bought him out of a job, he became disenchanted with life, and abandoned the society that obviously failed him. Finding a job paying a living wage in the early 80s was tough. Albeit, not as bad as today, but still hard nonetheless. Furthermore, it's rather easy to point the finger at a thief and run them down because we're more fortunate. How do we know what we'd do if we came home one day to find out we'd lost everything. Family, friends, all personal property and our job with no replacement insight. Further still, maybe the man's simply mentally ill. Perhaps he's simply a nefarious sod that threw away everything he owned and decided to become a miscreant. Who can say that they know? The prestitutes obviously lie and rarely report the facts. Just because the news says something doesn't make it so, and the article's about this man are rather vague and full of conjecture. .
So you say that the articles lie and rarely report facts...but start out with he's a product of our society that failed him from reading the exact same articles. I guess personal responsibility doesn't factor into life anymore, everything that is bad is all societies fault.

Quote:
If the evidence supports, capture him, punish him, and if he caused enough personal property loss or damage jail him, the self righteous tone of most posts in this treat are quite telling about our society. It's no wonder we people like Knight exist.
I don't see what is self righteous about saying stealing other people's property for the last nearly 3 decades is wrong and lacks personal integrity. THere are plenty of other options to stealing that he never even tried.

Quote:
I know that somebody out there feels that I've just given him a license to steal, and if that's indeed how the message you walked away with from reading my words, it's pointless to explain the situation.
No, but you seem to be assigning blame to everyone else for his actions. You make all these conjectures about what must have happened to him that seem to be from thin air while claiming the people who actually are reporting are lying...just because. Rational people evaluate the evidence and world around them and not just make up fanciful stories about events to believe.

There are times I want to be left alone, but I work hard every day to make sure I can support myself and my family. I didn't blame society if things were tough, or I was unhappy, or I felt like being alone. I take care of it and accept responsibility to myself, my family, and my community.

You seem to also be telling me how charmed my life is when you don't even know my first name.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 PM

Another article.

Quote:
Hartman keeps a GPS on him at all times so he can geotag his photographs, and also so he doesn’t get lost while trekking through the wilderness alone, he said. According to his GPS logs, he snowshoed within one-sixth of a mile from the hermit’s main campsite on Jan. 14.

Alec Hartman spent more than an hour photographing details of the site before using a GPS to find the nearest road — just 0.14 miles from the site.

Photos show remnants of
Not much info (or pics) in the article but the quoted parts show you do not have to be miles and miles from nowhere. Anyone know the populations of the towns/cities close to him?

.14 miles from a road .... WOW

Guess the road could be far away?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:58 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,287,634 times
Did his parents not report him missing? He was 20.
Very odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness