Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 07:11 PM

188 posts, read 548,633 times

Advertisements

I think the actions you take are very case-specific. If you can run or drive off do so. If you are already held at gun point comply with their orders!

If someone knocked on my window I might just roll it down only a crack...enough to talk, but not enough for them to reach in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 07:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
In Texas you can keep a gun in your car without having a concealed carry permit. Guess what I'd do if I were being carjacked?

Also, if someone knocked on my window I would already be expecting problems.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:54 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times
Situational awareness. If someone is approaching your vehicle with bad intent, you should know it before they get to you.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Well the guy in the Boston carjacking, the Boston bombers knocked on his window and the guy rolled down his window to see what was the matter, and the Boston bomber reached in and unlocked the door and got in. So I was thinking if someone walked up and knocked on my window, then I should start honking and hit the gas?!?!? Good idea about car and house keys separate. I am going to do this tonight also!
The way I see it. Anything they needed to say could be heard through the window.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
The keyless entry systems is a help here. If you don't have a chance to shoot them jump out of the car and run. They have the car but they likely won't realize they can't drive it anywhere until you're long gone...and you still have your keys (assuming they're in your pocket).

Old 04-27-2013, 10:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Floor it and duck. Odds are if the guy starts shooting at you, he won't be able to hit anything anyway.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:14 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Keep your house keys on a separate ring from your car keys, and keep your house keys in your pockets.
What a pain in the arse.

If they get my car key, they get my house key and my office key, too. Won't do them much good, though. There's nothing in my car (or my wallet, for that matter) that has my home or office address. That's what a PMB is for.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:38 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,942 times
Crap your pants and vomit.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:02 PM

8,065 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Give them my vehicle......and then watch the idiots try to learn how to drive a stick.....

Seriously though, you drive defensively. ALWAYS leave a car length++ ahead of you while pulling to a stop at a light or stop sign. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Scan your mirrors constantly for anyone approaching on foot. Have your handgun within easy reach.

If you can pull away as they approach SAFELY without endangering yourself or other motorists do it. If not..........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_(flamethrower)

Old 04-27-2013, 04:25 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Prevention is the best medicine. Keep your doors locked, for starters.

Keep your house keys on a separate ring from your car keys, and keep your house keys in your pockets. Same with your phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Situational awareness. If someone is approaching your vehicle with bad intent, you should know it before they get to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
If someone knocked on my window I might just roll it down only a crack...enough to talk, but not enough for them to reach in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If you are "about to be" carjacked, then you see it coming. Hit the gas.
These pretty much sum it up for me I don't even roll my window all the way down for cops!

While I always have a weapon in my truck, it's better to avoid a fight if you can. Of course, it's unlikely that a carjacking attempt in my truck would be successful since it's lifted way up for off-road. Most people can't even look into our windows, much less reach into them.

So maybe that should be another prevention tip... don't drive a vehicle that's likely to get jacked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness