Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 07:51 PM

415 posts, read 763,273 times

Advertisements

Do they Believe the Cannery's are a huge target, If SHTF, I would believe it would be wiped out pretty fast, So do the Cannery's have a plan, defend it, or empty it and leave, just wondering if anyone works at one...could sure see it being over run is all..

Last edited by Hickory patrick; 05-12-2013 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 08:54 PM

13,121 posts, read 20,900,946 times
The Bishop Storehouses will be a limited or immediate target depending on the facility and on the timeline of the "SHTF" event. The amount of portable goods will dictate if they get hit hard or if the Kroger distribution center gets the all out armed looting. If the SHTF event occurs with a time buildup progression, many LDS members would already have emptied the stock for their own needs. Despite popular belief, few LDS members have the 1 year supply. Some use the 3 month ordinary food model, and even with that the number with any measurable stockpile is small compared to total membership.

The biggest item in this area’s storehouse is bulk grains and flours. Traditional transportable items are few in comparison and most like will be used up before any 'emergency' raises its ugly head. The bulk items are valuable commodities but are not easy to transport as is. Even worst is that any mistake in pulling the bulk items could cause a failure in the system causing contamination, waste, or uncontrolled release from the storage containers.

There are no plans locally to defend the storehouse as its purpose is for the people who need it. LDS members should already have their supplies so no reasons to defend it against the people it was intended to service. But, as I said, because so many LDS members only have reserves to last until the next shopping trip, they would clean it out within hours leaving only piles of spilled bulk items. The Wal-Mart, Kroger, and Safeway distribution warehouses are 10 times as big holding a vast array of easy transportable items, that they will be the primary targets.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:54 PM

25,590 posts, read 18,694,783 times
Many of my relatives have. It's largely a volunteer affair with church members spending a few days each during harvest season. Same applies to the church slaughterhouses around here. As for security, nothing special. Most just have chain-link fences with barbed wire on top. I'd assume there would be plenty of folks to defend these places in a bad situation. They are generally built in quite neighborhoods with largely LDS populations. And those neighborhoods probably won't just sit back and wait for the riff-raff to overtake their livelihood.

Also, the food processed in the canneries doesn't get stockpiled there. It's moved to other locations (storehouses).

Old 05-12-2013, 09:15 PM

13,121 posts, read 20,900,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Also, the food processed in the canneries doesn't get stockpiled there. It's moved to other locations (storehouses).
By me, the cannery is located in the same building as the store house. I guess it really depends on the location. Around here, nobody would defend the cannery because it’s just not worth it to them. And the leaders wouldn’t expect it since everyone already should have their stockpile so why put yourself in danger over something of no value anymore. In a SHTF scenario, what’s the worth of defending something that most likely would have little value when water, electricity, sanitation, and all the other logistical issue related to its use has gone to heck in a hand basket? In addition, although they are located in a heavy LDS population section of town, they are surrounded by commercial and industrial building which would mean running the gauntlet of fire to use it. The area would become a hostile zone with no chance of a family or HoH successfully traveling in that area.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:08 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,780,823 times
I've done volunteer work at a cannery and done my own food storage at one as well as helping with my parent's cache too.

Like what's already been said, the LDS operation is small potatoes compared to the average big box distribution center or food processing plant. They were not designed with defense in mind and would probably be emptied just as quickly as the average supermarket.

I think most mormons expect the church to take over the entire state of UT and probably ID in the event of a systemic government collapse, though I don't know how realistic that would be in practice. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a LDS theocracy, so I'll probably end up in the Nevada wasteland as a raider with a hockey mask and spiked shoulder pads.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,640,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I've done volunteer work at a cannery and done my own food storage at one as well as helping with my parent's cache too.

Like what's already been said, the LDS operation is small potatoes compared to the average big box distribution center or food processing plant. They were not designed with defense in mind and would probably be emptied just as quickly as the average supermarket.

I think most mormons expect the church to take over the entire state of UT and probably ID in the event of a systemic government collapse, though I don't know how realistic that would be in practice. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a LDS theocracy, so I'll probably end up in the Nevada wasteland as a raider with a hockey mask and spiked shoulder pads.
Me

Old 05-13-2013, 03:27 PM

25,590 posts, read 18,694,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

Don't forget the hotrod dune buggy...

Old 05-13-2013, 09:34 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,780,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Don't forget the hotrod dune buggy...
...with a spooky, violent, skanky, mullet-headed babe riding shotgun!

I'm gonna love the end of the world... at least until my skull ends up becoming somebody's beer mug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness