Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 05:12 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,107,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
$100 bills are a bad denomination to squirrel away anyway, since you'd have to break them for many purchases and larger denominations are often rejected when the seller can't make change or they have a risk mitigation policy to only deal in small bills.

Yes, a $100 bill takes up less storage space and the stacks are easier to count and carry; but decimal coins and $1 - $20 bills are MUCH more useful in the long run. You certainly don't want to pull out a Benny for a $12 transaction... it lets the seller (and any unsavory witnesses) know you have "free money" to burn in hand. (The old garage sale rule)..
I spend $1,200 every month as cash, I usually get $200 in 20's and the rest 100's so as to fit my wallet easily, and have not had any issues spending 100's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 11:39 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,923,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I spend $1,200 every month as cash, I usually get $200 in 20's and the rest 100's so as to fit my wallet easily, and have not had any issues spending 100's.
I've had problems with $50 and $100s at gas stations despite our tank easily sucking down $100+ per fill (in OR, WA & AK). Paying your bills at the service counter in cash, or giving your landlord cash for rents, or paying for a whole load of groceries at the supermarket in cash is usually ok with larger bills; but something with more than $20 in change back makes a lot of proprietors of lower-priced items very cranky (convenience stores and fast food are big ones). If you want to break a $100 for something that is $6.99 be prepared, either to be refused service or bawled out unless you know the people. We've even had some prefer a personal check over a $100... so maybe we've just got a bad counterfeiting problem here, even worse than check fraud.

But if we were to have some sort of disruptive event that meant transactions were taking place without displayed fixed pricing, I'd sure rather have as near to exact haggling price as possible and not flash around my cash. Maybe I'm just leary after living so many places where getting ripped off by vendors, and muggers/pickpockets in and around the marketplaces were all too common.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:18 AM

25,480 posts, read 18,612,470 times
Yes, around here in some places there are signs stating they will not accept anything bigger than 20 dollar bills. It's not that the larger denom bills are "no good," it's just that they don't want to run out of change over the course of the business day. They don't have time to be running back and forth to the bank all day and they don't want to risk holding large sums of money in the till.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:51 AM

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Since probably not many of you live on the east coast, there has been a BIG problem with high-quality fake $100's coming into NYC in particular.

They are being made in countries like NK and Iran etc.

I'm just noting this to explain why the new $100 is needed and that there are geographic parts of the US where they are much more leery or may refuse to accept $100's due to forgery risk.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:28 AM

19 posts, read 14,019 times
I read all of these references to "accepted as legal tender" etcetera....Legal tender isn't about acceptance, it's about it being illegal to refuse to accept it by businesses for goods or services.

And as far as it being un-lawful to own gold, it still is technically, the law was never rescinded.

And as far as laws go, laws are written for those who will follow them, and you don't have to be a violent felon to refuse to follow laws, you only need refuse to participate in activities which require you to follow them, activities where you are enjoying some sort of benefit provided by the authorities you succumb to the rule of, and you do....

I don't even wanna go into this authority stuff, knowing what types of scum grant what types of scum authority, without having any righteous authority themselves, nevermind religion....

Old 05-31-2013, 04:31 PM

7,487 posts, read 10,459,924 times
If you feel you need to store large sums of cash, $20's should be your largest bills. The bulk of them should be 10's, 5's (shortage of these, for some reason) and especially, 1's. We also keep several rolls of quarters, dimes, and nickels, not bothering with pennies ("you can keep the change...").

This is "storage" cash and comes to only about $2,000. It's for emergencies, and we never carry it around in our wallets, so its bulk is not a problem. For regular daily transactions, I carry $50's and 100's as well as smaller, like most people.

Remember that the ONLY paper FRN that has not been "changed" is the $1 bill. These come in so handy that I cannot justify not having at least $500 worth of them. I keep 'em everywhere...in the truck, hidden in the house, out in the garage, down in the basement. I'm not telling you our "hiding" secrets, but you get the idea.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:04 PM

Hey Nor'Eastah, don't discount the penny jar... pennies make excellent projectiles for slingshots! Since we don't have a lot of pebbles or small stones around the place, we use the pennies and slingshots to take down grouse and ptarmigan... still cheaper than ball bearings and 22LR

Old 05-31-2013, 05:10 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,565,402 times
Executive Order 6102 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

did not confiscate all personal gold.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:22 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,730,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Hey Nor'Eastah, don't discount the penny jar... pennies make excellent projectiles for slingshots! Since we don't have a lot of pebbles or small stones around the place, we use the pennies and slingshots to take down grouse and ptarmigan... still cheaper than ball bearings and 22LR
Speaking of coins. We haven't spent any change in the last 25 years, so we have a lot. Plus a big stash of one's and fives.

On topic. If they were to change the value(like lowering the value of the dollar) they only need to just print more, no need to go through the hassle of exchanging.

I believe that, like mentioned above it is because of counterfeiting.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:35 PM

Yeah, changing the way the money looks or what it's made of isn't the same as changing the monetary system.

The $1 bill could be laser-etched purple mylar with a mag strip and it would still be a $1 bill, and an old greenback would still be a $1 bill... and they would still be worth the same (except to collectors who want to keep the discontinued greenbacks). A dollar is a dollar is a dollar... until it becomes, say, a NAMU (totally made up currency, "North American Monetary Unit" -- similar to a Euro -- that combines and replaces the US dollar, the Canadian dollar and the Mexican peso)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness