Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:14 AM

25,286 posts, read 18,433,559 times

Advertisements

I thought it might be fun (y'all can decide through participation) if those of us who harvest wild edible plants document what we are doing with them this summer. I'm pretty simplistic in the way I go about it, but I know some of you are quite elaborate with preservation and such. I think it might be fun and/or helpful for those who may want to get into it or (like me) those who do it but are always looking for new plants and/or techniques.

It is, of course quite early, but so far this year, I've had a couple weeks of munching on Siberian Elm seed pods. I love these things, but they are only around for a couple of weeks before they dry out and fall from the trees. They make a great salad--much better than lettuce could ever hope to be. And of course, they are great just pulling them from the tree and eating them.

The Common Mallow has been growing well. There aren't a lot of "donuts" forming yet, but the leafy greens are doing fine. These also make great salads or are good cooked (boiled or steamed). I know some folks don't like Common Mallow because it's slimy when cooked like okra, but this is exactly the reason I do like it. I've been planning to try to make "marshmallows" out of the boiled fruit (once they starts to form) water, which is possible according to Kallas' book. That will be a new experience.

I've tried some Thistle stalk. The plants are still quite small... but they certainly have well-formed thorns already (ouch). Problem with the thistle that grows around here is that the variant tends to be rather bitter, not to mention having more formidable thorns. My references tend to say thistle is sweet, but not really the case here. I've been searching for some different varieties to try. Perhaps it will taste better.

I've been looking for Wild Spinach (Lambsquarters, Goosefoot), but oddly, haven't seen any this year, yet. It's usually everywhere--maybe my old eyes just aren't seeing it clearly. Although I DID find what I think is Hairy Nightshade pretending to be Wild Spinach. We'll see when it flowers.

Stinging Nettle also seems absent so far.

I see plenty of Burdock out there. I haven't actually messed with it yet. Same with Curly Dock. There is of course, Cat's Ear everywhere (town and country).

There is always Wild Lettuce growing all over the place. There are several variants around here. Some of it tasty, some not so much.

Some of the other common plants, I haven't had time to search for yet. I have trouble remembering my plants, so I tend to look for one or two varieties at a time, and keep only those in mind on that outing. Otherwise, I tend to become overwhelmed and I start mis-identifying. Not good.

My favorites are still a couple of months away: Serviceberry bushes are doing well so far. It looks like the Chokecherries (and Sand Cherry and Black Cherry) will be plentiful. And the Oregon Grape is coming along (I just finished off my last jar of Oregon Grape jam from last year ). And my favorite Wild Plum tree is coming along nicely. Absolutely heavenly -- if you've never tasted wild plum, you HAVE to find a tree somewhere. And the ever-elusive Wild Strawberry? Haven't found any growing this year.

And how about that Water Hemlock? Ahhh, yeah, just kidding. (this was a joke. Water Hemlock is among the most deadly of poison plants)

Have you been munching on any wild greens in your neck of the woods this year? What kinds?

(notice that there is no sufficiency politics/philosophy infused into this post -- I'm proud of myself. But it only saves more for the next post. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 11:39 AM

6,743 posts, read 8,510,058 times
Snow is just off around here, so aside from dandelion, Not much yet.
The Serviceberry and Chokecherry and Gooseberry plants are doing well, for once the snow and frost didn't get the blossoms so there should be a lot of berries if the rains hold, Thistle is only about 2 inches tall yet.

Some folks I know found some Morel Mushrooms the other day, pretty early for them, but we have a lot of burns from last year and a lot of moisture this spring so it is possible

The Biscuit root patch is just starting, it was still under snow 2 weeks ago.

The road up to the cabin is finally free of snow but the mud is axle deep so it will probably be at least another week + before I can get up there and check out the nettles and other wild edibles around that area.

For some reason the Yarrow is really growing, best crop I have ever seen.

Could be an interesting year

Old 06-02-2013, 09:56 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,930,600 times
Saskatoons are in bloom right now, and seem to be doing very well. Chokecherries should be along fairly soon too. No signs of stress on any that I've looked at.

There's been less licorice than usual, as it's been an extremely dry spring (until this past few days) and water levels are low. Lots of riparian areas are struggling, but hopefully the recent rains will help. Rivers are starting to come back up, too, with the spring melt.

Prairie onions are doing okay, about the same as always. Their less pleasant look-a-like, Death Camas, is abundant.

Found the occasional Wild Bergamot (mint) plant, though they get much easier to spot once they bloom. I don't much like wading through rose and buckbrush looking for them until I can see what I'm after.

Prickly Pear are around, as always.

I was up north, in the Peace River country (AB, Canada) for a couple of days and there's more Strawberries blooming than I think I've ever seen. It's unreal - felt like walking on a carpet of them, at times. Tons of Labrador Tea up there, too, as always. Some Currant bushes, too, back in the thick bush.

I kept an eye out for Cloudberry, though they won't be ripe until late summer. Personally, I can't think of anything more delicious - I like them better a little under-ripe, though I think they're more popularly eaten when very ripe, as they get significantly sweeter. Not sure I was quite far enough north to find many, though.

Got a couple of Lowbush Cranberries that survived the winter, and like every year, tried to eat them off the bush and wished I hadn't.

Last edited by Stubblejumper; 06-02-2013 at 11:25 PM..

Old 06-02-2013, 10:48 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,906,933 times
The snow just left us, so not much up yet.

The fiddleheads are starting to come up; unfortunately our fiddleheads here in the interior aren't as nice as the ones down in Anchorage and Juneau, but they're edible (if you're desperate).

We've got some mushrooms popping up here and there as the meltwater recedes, only one is positively identifiable and it's not a tasty one -- "Alaska Gold" (Phaeolepiota aurea) which tastes and feels like packing peanuts.

I did go grab some winter-dessicated Labrador Tea and new-growth Spruce Needles to make myself a lovely cuppa

There are a few leftover blueberries and cranberries, but I'll leave them for the critters who need them more than me.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:05 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,722,629 times
I would find it very helpful if y'all would say where you're from.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:52 AM

25,286 posts, read 18,433,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes it would! Oversight on my part, because that makes a huge difference. I'm in northern Utah (that's my vantage point for America's Dog and Pony Show ).

Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,930,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Southern Alberta, Canada. Though I spend a little bit of time in northern Alberta, as well (roughly 57-58 degrees north).

Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 AM

I'm in West Central Montana.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:40 AM

20,572 posts, read 19,230,435 times
Out west it is best to mention either zone or altitude with location. It can be spring at sea level but no at 4000 feet. That of course can work to ones advantage since I take advantage of micro climates as it is to extend the season let alone an actual climate condition in a mountainous region.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I'm in West Central Montana.
OK, I live in an area that starts at 4200 feet in elevation, my cabin sits at 6500, most everything else goes up from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness