U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2013, 06:47 AM
 
2,889 posts, read 1,450,259 times
Reputation: 8217
We give too much credit to how much authority and control any one man who is President has over things in Washington. We could elect Jesus Christ President and once he got to Washington the opposing party would show him very quickly how things are done there and how little he would be able to accomplish. Same goes for Senators and Congressmen.........they all start out with stars in their eyes and think they are going to go to Washington and fix all the ills of the world, but the good old boys who have been there for a long time quickly teach them how things really work.

So we can call these things Obama's policies or Bush's policies, but in reality anything that gets done in Washington is because the guys on the other side of the fence occasionally allow a few things to get done.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2013, 07:45 AM
 
1,677 posts, read 775,203 times
Reputation: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Real or satire on the websites, it doesn't change the fact that the gestapo thing is happening in real life. And, yeah, it's been happening for a long time, but when is enough enough? One generally doesn't ignore a malignant tumor unless one wishes to die.
Satire has historically been an essential tool of dissent. Of late it is used more often to quell dissent. Dissenters need to take back charge of it, and it's refreshing to see that some are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Status: "Question everything..." (set 11 hours ago)
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
6,672 posts, read 5,381,940 times
Reputation: 6286
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
All this stink about Obama's involvement is just one political party using anything they can to make the other one look bad. Business as usual as far as I am concerned.

Don
I don't think anyone is saying it's all Obama's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Except that he ran on the platform of transparency, change and he specifically mentioned these programs and how he would put a stop to them.
Exactly. So, yeah, I guess we CAN say Obama lied, at least. But that's business as usual for the entire malignant tumor that has been growing back in DC nearly since the beginning of the nation. The question is, at what point do we ALL wake up? The way the government was set up, we DO have the power to completely clean house. We're simply too stupid to do it. And there will come a time that we no longer have ANY power as "we the people." We the people... have proven that we are masochists who really would rather be beaten into submission. To save face, we call various forms of tyranny and abuse "political causes." We've just about "political caused" ourselves to death.

How long will it be before each of us has a government agent watching us wipe our little tushies on the toilet, just so we do it properly and according to various bits of legislation? It's for our own safety, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Status: "Question everything..." (set 11 hours ago)
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
6,672 posts, read 5,381,940 times
Reputation: 6286
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Satire has historically been an essential tool of dissent. Of late it is used more often to quell dissent. Dissenters need to take back charge of it, and it's refreshing to see that some are.
Oh, I love satire. I think folks, in general, have a harder time spotting it or understanding what's being done than they used to (take a look at some of the comments on certain "The Onion" videos or have a young college student read Swift's A Modest Proposal), but I love a well-written piece of satire--especially those with a biting message and way-out-there hyperbole. The subtle stuff can be fun as well, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 AM
 
Location: US
726 posts, read 246,747 times
Reputation: 204
In previous posts I have shared that there is much in the works.

Rand Paul is going to sue Rand Paul Threatens To Sue The Feds For Using The NSA To Watch Citizens : Personal Liberty Digest


"Here's another lawsuit
PRISM Class

I'll be joining on ASAP, in the meantime rallies are being set up, writing our Reps, etc. BTW for those who don't know speaking up against the NSA/Prism is bi partisan.
"






However, those believe nothing is wrong with the spying continue to flaunt socially here and elsewhere that have done nothing so it's okay! Focus on them we are not your enemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 11:23 AM
 
Location: southwest Nebraska and northwest Kansas
2,133 posts, read 2,858,495 times
Reputation: 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I don't think anyone is saying it's all Obama's fault.
You obviously don't see my FB news feed lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Status: "Save a life; carry a gun." (set 22 hours ago)
 
Location: Cody, WY
4,886 posts, read 3,827,348 times
Reputation: 7569
Whom do you suppose would spend so much time and money on a spoof site that doesn't generate money? A spoof is fraud by definition. The woman who made the post thought she had the real thing.

But then people will find out and laugh realizing there's nothing to fear; the loyal Democrats can then move to another disinformation project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 02:53 PM
 
12,610 posts, read 8,072,101 times
Reputation: 4699
I will say what I always say:
90% incumbent reelection rate with that remaining 10% also including by retirement and death in office.
Reelection Rates Over the Years | OpenSecrets

Statistically you are the problem if you just read this.


People vote for the one with the most money. Its not hard to find out why. If its not you then statistically its your neighbor who votes for a major party only. Go ask them. Its not the government. Its the people who refuse not to vote for someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Status: "Question everything..." (set 11 hours ago)
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
6,672 posts, read 5,381,940 times
Reputation: 6286
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I will say what I always say:
90% incumbent reelection rate with that remaining 10% also including by retirement and death in office.
Reelection Rates Over the Years | OpenSecrets

Statistically you are the problem if you just read this.


People vote for the one with the most money. Its not hard to find out why. If its not you then statistically its your neighbor who votes for a major party only. Go ask them. Its not the government. Its the people who refuse not to vote for someone else.
Yep. Well said. Voting for all the wrong (and stupidest, when considering our future livelihood) reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Lubbock, Tx
4,862 posts, read 1,730,357 times
Reputation: 5940
Some of us have been very surprised at how intrusive this is. In light of the IRS scandals, its not hard to see how we could very quickly end up with a one party system/dictatorship. And yet, I am amazed at how many are perfectly fine with the status quo, having their rights under the constitution tramped on. As long as they aren't the ones being destroyed by the IRS, or some other federal agency, they don't care. Its getting clearer every day that this country is headed for the dumpster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top