Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,739 times

Advertisements

Schneier on Security
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
So true. In fact, you'd probably have to cut your credit cards and close your bank accounts too. I don't think the government cares if we chat about where to retire or how to make a good cabbage stew. However, it does care if you have ties to terrorist groups. The bombing in Boston indicates that all this spying on Americans didn't work too well.

Still, I have Googled and Binged words like "AK-47" and "AR-15 100 Round Drum" many times and nobody's knocking on my door!

This is much ado about nothing. Spying has been going on in this country for a long, long time. We just have more technology than we had 50 years ago. If innocent Americans like yours truly are arrested for using search engines or talking to friends about their political views, then I'll begin to worry.
I think the critical mass we have now is a danger, but only if its chosen by someone in charge to use it broadly. In reality the average citizen who occasionally has a hit is not of interest. But what is of importance is thinking about and acting on those judgements in choosing the people who make the decisions on who to notice. With all the new toys, we need to expect a lot more from them than a good PR crew and skilled spin doctors (and I do not exempt any party or individual). We need to learn to see more critically and make better judgement and remember that none will be about absolutes.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:14 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

Still, I have Googled and Binged words like "AK-47" and "AR-15 100 Round Drum" many times and nobody's knocking on my door!

This is much ado about nothing.
Well, the big, bad data center isn't completed yet.

And how do you know that the NSA's threat algorithm hasn't flagged you (or won't) as a potential terrorist? You don't. Another target keyword search from you (nouns unknown to us (see NSA's patent)), a seemingly benign purchase, or posting in a self-sufficiency forum (independent people are deemed to be threats in the US), a prescription purchase, or any number of red flag combinations might escalate your status and get you detained.

I might think, oh that was probably just Nancy. Much ado about nothing. Thank gawd the government protected us from her craziness.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:36 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
...since the NSA is comfortable with revealing this much, imagine how invasive what it won't reveal must be. Here is the NSA page:
Domestic Surveillance National Data Warehouse
Note that the first line on that page is:

Your Data: If You Have Nothing to Hide, You Have Nothing to Fear
How many sheep do we see parroting this every day? They have learned absolutely nothing from history.

Read more about the Utah Data Center and it's computing and storage abilities.
NSA Utah Data Center - Serving Our Nation's Intelligence Community
HA HA Isn't she funny with her spoof posts? Aren't we all laughing about the "expert preppers" who swallowed it whole? The latter is actually amusing. No one could realize with the exception of this poster that the website was a poor joke with the exception of this poster. No one with the exception of this poster knew enough to look at the website address, to wit, www.nsa.gov1.info. Anyone who has ever noted an ebay spoof would be able to identify it as a spoof site. But "preppers" seem to note nothing. The real NSA website is www.nsa.gov.

I don't know whether this poster is one of the oh-so-funny spoofers or one of the dupes and I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Mission statement from the NSA

The NSA/CSS Mission - NSA/CSS

In my opinion, the NSA has been doing exactly what they were tasked with doing, ever since the 80s.

If they did any less, people would scream that they were failing to do their job.

Among my roles on submarines I have been a SIGINT customer.
Thanks for posting the correct address.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:40 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
HA HA Isn't she funny with her spoof posts? Aren't we all laughing about the "expert preppers" who swallowed it whole? The latter is actually amusing. No one could realize with the exception of this poster that the website was a poor joke with the exception of this poster. No one with the exception of this poster knew enough to look at the website address, to wit, www.nsa.gov1.info. Anyone who has ever noted an ebay spoof would be able to identify it as a spoof site. But "preppers" seem to note nothing. The real NSA website is www.nsa.gov.

I don't know whether this poster is one of the oh-so-funny spoofers or one of the dupes and I don't care.

Thanks for posting the correct address.
Gee, you seem upset. I wonder why.

Nobody appreciates (or gets) satire anymore.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Real or satire on the websites, it doesn't change the fact that the gestapo thing is happening in real life. And, yeah, it's been happening for a long time, but when is enough enough? One generally doesn't ignore a malignant tumor unless one wishes to die.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j8-_vIplso

Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Real or satire on the websites, it doesn't change the fact that the gestapo thing is happening in real life. And, yeah, it's been happening for a long time, but when is enough enough? One generally doesn't ignore a malignant tumor unless one wishes to die.
Just talked to my neighbor, an about-to-retire mechanic in his 60s about the whole thing. He said he has no opinion one way or the other but he understands the need for blanket surveillance and why it is done and if it was not done there would be many more attacks. He said he has nothing to hide so no worries. He is an ex-marine who served in Vietnam. When you get guys like that to roll over.... oh well...

Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
This current revelation is nothing new, this has been going on for years. 9/11 only magnified the reality that we are not living in the same world we were before that day. If you have flown via commercial airlines lately you know how we are scrutinized before we are allowed to board, and anyone who goes to the courthouse goes through the same metal detectors and searches. Video cameras are everywhere. It is the price we pay to be safe in a world where some people are hell bent on wiping us off the face of the earth.

As for the Government watching us, again, this is nothing new. I had a friend who told me 20 years ago he was involved with a program for the Government where they had satellites that were so sophisticated they could look down on the earth and see the smallest details. He said they looked down on a man sitting in Times Square in NY, and were able to see the camel on his pack of cigarettes. And that was 20 years ago..........can you imagine how much better they are at it now ?

All this stink about Obama's involvement is just one political party using anything they can to make the other one look bad. Business as usual as far as I am concerned.

Don

Old 06-11-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
All this stink about Obama's involvement is just one political party using anything they can to make the other one look bad. Business as usual as far as I am concerned.
Don
Except that he ran on the platform of transparency, change and he specifically mentioned these programs and how he would put a stop to them.

Seems to me Eisenhower is spinning in his grave like a Boeing 747 turbine on takeoff:
Military-Industrial Complex Speech, Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness