Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 08:44 AM

12,071 posts, read 23,143,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Seriously?? Damn. I should capitalize on those guys!

A guy and I at work were just talking about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 09:43 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,102,265 times
Melted and molded into Zombie Killer bullets..

Old 09-20-2013, 11:28 AM

25,354 posts, read 18,496,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
No, sorry, that only works for Werewolves. And you've got to get the proper allow as well. You didn't even mention that. Please let us know which survival manual you got this misinformation from so we can remove it from our compound library and deposit it in the compost heap where it belongs. Or is it just that you saw this lie on one of those damned "reality" survivalist shows? It's misinformation like this that poisons the well.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:23 PM

20,591 posts, read 19,251,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Have you seen the knuckleheads on ebay paying $5.00 a gram for silver!?

Wow, that's a steal.... but not in the direction the buyer thinks it is.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:27 PM

20,591 posts, read 19,251,573 times
Quote:

Never had much luck with that against zombies...just the vampires and lycanthropes. I just use chain shot and napalm for the zombies.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:40 PM

25,354 posts, read 18,496,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No, sorry, that only works for Werewolves. And you've got to get the proper allow as well. You didn't even mention that. Please let us know which survival manual you got this misinformation from so we can remove it from our compound library and deposit it in the compost heap where it belongs. Or is it just that you saw this lie on one of those damned "reality" survivalist shows? It's misinformation like this that poisons the well.
THAT'S: And you've got to get the proper ALLOY as well. ALLOY. ALLOY. ALLOY. ALLOY. ALLOY. Now write it 500 times, smart guy. If you are going to be a sarcastic.... um, sarcasticist, then you'd better get your spealing and grammer down, eh?

Old 09-21-2013, 07:22 AM

23,585 posts, read 23,879,652 times
Quote:
Silver Bullet Bullion™

Old 09-21-2013, 10:04 AM

32,528 posts, read 47,585,883 times
If the reason to save silver is to have something negotiable if TSHTF, then I suggest something recognizable.

The majority of people can't tell if a silver ingot is real silver or just aluminum. So, in the USA, junk silver coins are a good choice, because everyone can recognize those and will assume that they are real. Get a selection of denominations.

I like the 1 oz art bars. I keep the ones with pretty pictures. Those look like something and would be much easier to trade than a plain bar. They are available at spot, unless you are buying small quantities and then it is spot plus the dealers usual mark-up.

Silver unicorns would be excellent for barter.

Most of what you are going to try to barter for is going to be little. You don't want to give a gold coin for a loaf of bread and the fellow with the bread for sale is not going to be able to make change.

Even if what you are buying is a horse and wagon, the seller is not going to want a gold brick. He'll want that gold or silver in coins or in a bunch of small pieces, not a one pound bar. Because he will have problems using that one pound bar to barter with.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:30 PM

12,071 posts, read 23,143,024 times
I don't think silver will be used as a barter item (at least I sure hope we don't come to that). I just look at it as a long term investment. IF it does come to that, I agree with you about small units so, fortunately, I like scrap Mercury dimes and Morgan dollars, as well as small units (like 10 gram bars and 1/10 ounce rounds). You pay a little more for them but they are easy to pick up when you have a few extra dollars in your pocket.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:50 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,969,507 times
Morgan dollars - there was a beautiful coin. Mercury dimes are not too shabby, either. The only coin in recent history that comes close, imo, is the Sacajawea dollar. Of course, there we aren't talking silver or gold.

If the economy isn't in total collapse, Morgans will always be a decent numismatic investment. Forget about the silver. If you just want silver - and you are buying, better to look at other coins. Or other sources.

For me - and precious metals - I love silver - but gold is I think the better investment for WTSHTF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness