Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:36 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Nope, I don't prep for civil war, and where I live, no looters would survive for very long anyway.
I do acknowledge that it happens and can cause far ranging and disastrous effects on the population.

You come from the former Yugoslavia, are you claiming it didn't happen? That genocide didn't occur? That Slobodan Milosevic wasn't charged with crimes against humanity?
Slobodan Milosevic Biography - Facts, Birthday, Life Story - Biography.com
Isn't that what I said - that it was a civil war, state sponsored at that? It is very different from scenarios discussed on this forum such as electric grid breakdown or natural disaster gone bad

Quote:
Why it happens, for as many reasons as there are people, but the bottom line is those events do happen and people die. I don't look for that to happen in the US anytime in the near future, but it has happened in the past and over 600,000 Americans died.
Casualties In The Civil War
Ex-Yu wars were territorial with a religious background and a historic component (Serbs never paid back the Croats for Croats slaughtering Serbs in WW2).

It is kind of interesting to me when I see statements on this forum thrown around about parasites, the urban stupid that will spill into rural areas looting and murdering and all that. It shows a total lack of trust in your country, in your government, in your fellow American. Many of the statements also go far past the lack of trust and show a healthy dose of disdain and hatred too, something I find particularly sad and disappointing.

Quote:
Stating that it can never happen is just as uninformed an opinion as those that prepare for it to happen any day.
Of course, nobody has the crystal ball, anything's possible. Heck, one day Monsanto may unwittingly introduce a DNA modification into their "not unsafe to consume corn" that will make pigs fly and Americans fart gold bars. I don't know. But everyone has to make an educated guess about the major things in the future, a guess based on solid analysis, knowledge of history etc. Otherwise you will be prrepping for everything from alien invasion to the possibility of Iceland becoming a rogue nuclear state (heck, everything's possible, no?).

Quote:
I just try to make sure my family is provided for no matter what happens.
It is your right. it's a free country. However, you should focus on yourself only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 08:01 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Isn't that what I said - that it was a civil war, state sponsored at that? It is very different from scenarios discussed on this forum such as electric grid breakdown or natural disaster gone bad

Civil war is civil war, no matter what starts it, the outcome is the same. With the current policial climate of mistrust promoted by washington, it just primes the situation so that any catalyst will create a situation inevitably worse than it should be due to the fractionalization of different religions, political parties, race etc. the current adminstration has used as wedge issues to divide the population.

Ex-Yu wars were territorial with a religious background and a historic component (Serbs never paid back the Croats for Croats slaughtering Serbs in WW2).

And the Croats sided with the Nazis and slaughtered Serb Partizans and tried to take over the country. So what?
Both Serbs and Croats were shooting moslems because of the Turkish invasion and occupation from the 1500s- late 1800s.
If it is one thing I learned over there, those folks never forgive anything and let any percieved slight fester, for centuries if necessary, until the opportunity appears to let them slaughter each other with abandon.

It is kind of interesting to me when I see statements on this forum thrown around about parasites, the urban stupid that will spill into rural areas looting and murdering and all that. It shows a total lack of trust in your country, in your government, in your fellow American. Many of the statements also go far past the lack of trust and show a healthy dose of disdain and hatred too, something I find particularly sad and disappointing.

Folks have just as much right to their opinions as you do. Just because they don't have any trust in the government doesn't mean they are hoping for a civil war, preppers are smart enough to know nobody wins one of those.
As to the rural vs urban, producer vs parasite, thank washington for creating divides amoung people and causing the Balkinization of this country.
All sides have a healthy distain for the other, again promoted by statements of those deriding anyone that doesn't agree with the groupthink.
You seem to have a healthy disrespect for any who prefer independence, for providing for themselves, for working to have resources you don't have. How is that any different from the way rural people view urbanites, or the way the left demonizes folks who legally own firearms?

I have a lot of respect for my country and its history, and place a lot of faith in my countrymen, I place no faith in those that blindly follow the central party hyperbole and can't or won't think for themselves. They are the ones that are dangerous because they don't have the skills to provide for themselves, they have to rely on the government for everything. They are the ones that in a disaster have nothing to fall back on and no moral compass to keep them from taking whatever they see as their "right" to have no matter what the effect on others.

Of course, nobody has the crystal ball, anything's possible. Heck, one day Monsanto may unwittingly introduce a DNA modification into their "not unsafe to consume corn" that will make pigs fly and Americans fart gold bars. I don't know. But everyone has to make an educated guess about the major things in the future, a guess based on solid analysis, knowledge of history etc. Otherwise you will be prrepping for everything from alien invasion to the possibility of Iceland becoming a rogue nuclear state (heck, everything's possible, no?).

And everyone uses their best judgement based on available information. Just because the conclusions they draw don't match yours, dosen't make them wrong.
History proves again and again, given the opportunity there are those that will willingly turn to rape and plunder to get what they want instead of working for it.
The producers are always targeted because they are the ones actually making something of value. Those that live off of government largess in exchange for votes and the government promising them everything while demanding they do nothing in return only leads to what you have promoted from day one, class warefare.
The US used to have a thriving middle class of folks taking chances, building small businesses, producing jobs. There has always been an upper class of those that through either inheritance, luck or hard work that have used their resources to create huge opportunities for making more wealth for everyone through buying stock in their companies, or by creating jobs that regular people can use to fund their own move up the economic ladder.
Then there are the lower classes that either lack the drive or ability to move up by their own labors, or those that refuse to work and demand that their homes, food, medical care and spending money are a "right" and that the producers should pay them only because they are the proper minority or because they demand it in exchange for their votes.

One party has masterfully manipulated this last group to gain political power, and in doing so, created the divisions, mistrust and hatred you speak of.

It is your right. it's a free country. However, you should focus on yourself only.
I do focus on myself, and on an internet board, I have as much right to my opinion as you are to yours. If people want to learn how to wean themselves from government handouts, to become more self sufficent, or want to know how to get the skills that seperate them from the parasite class, I will continue to share my knowledge and skills.

I am not here only to deride them, I am not here to promote a policial agenda, I don't care if someone slavishly follows the party mantra and derides all who think differently.
I like being able to share what I have learned over a lifetime of work, and hopefully it helps my fellow citizen protect themselves from the overreaching government we have now.

IF, and it is a bit IF, we can get a sea change in the attitude of the federal government towards the citizens in this country like we had in the 1980s, moving toward the betterment of the country instead of creating chaos that one party can manipulate to their own advantage to the detriment of the citizens, the prepper movement will die down again.
Looking at history, it is when a narcasisstic unqualified ideologue is in power, or the economy is deliberatly suppressed to create hardship, then people will always look to protect themselves, and preppers and survivalists grow in numbers.

2014 may start this change with the elections in November, and we may keep going as we are, who knows?

In my case, I just grow, raise or hunt for my food, I build my own home, I work towards the benefit of my family in any scenario.
Not sure why you have such a problem with folks taking care of themselves, but I guess if you come from behind the iron curtain, your history is one of oppression and fear, so you look for the familier.

I was raised in America, so I prefer self deterimination and the opportunity to rise or fall based on my own merits, not because some bureaucrat says I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness