Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:29 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,510,917 times

Advertisements

Great ANOTHER bash, mock and paint the homeless in a ugly light gabfest. BTW playing the crazy card and lying your way into things you want is why many people have uninformed negative attitudes towards all of us. IF you are young, able bodied you have no excuse - IF however you are in your mid to upper 50's, have some health issues its a whole nother situation. 3 million homeless in America today, 20-25% are Vets, 1+ million are children, in some areas of the country dogs have more shelters and rights than a human...say Avery Co., NC for example. Some areas have no human shelters, no soup kitchens and NO services if your a homeless human - say large sections of the Mtns of NC/SW VA/WV/KY. Instead of bashing we the unwanted in America I suggest you go to the closest homeless shelter/food bank and volunteer and help reduce/change the problem and learn the truth and MAYBE even make some friends........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 09:56 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,818,484 times
I had a brother that floated in and out of this for most of his adult life. He will use shelters and will soon fall into the crowd of people that live like this. They will show him how to survive and he will be fine. He will either adjust to this lifestyle or he will hate it and better himself there are sources to help him either way....

Old 11-11-2013, 12:54 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,510,917 times
NYC Food Bank Head: 40% Of Veterans Need Food Assistance « CBS New York

Old 11-15-2013, 08:03 PM

59 posts, read 99,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I was not sure where to put this, and decided this board was as good as any.

I am very curious about what it's like to be homeless, as my ex will soon be just that. He is able-bodied, 48, depressed, and been living off me for a year. What is he going to do/face when I move and he doesn't come with?!
Okay, if you are (and you really sound like you are) concerned about his well being, help him get started in a home based business that doesn't take a whole heck of a lot of money to start or take a whole lot (of effort) to do. A good place to start would be Motor Club of America. It's what I do (after years of searching) and it's referral based commissions. What that means is, any member who refers others, gets paid $80-$90 each. So, depending on however many he refers the week prior, is how many he will get paid (direct deposit) that next Friday. Be his first referral and give him a taste of what is to come and you can move on in peace, knowing you've helped him on his start to becoming financially stable. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
From reading these posts, it seems arbitrary, then, which community you decide to be homeless in, given the amount of support that's available. And if so, I'd first amass/panhandle enough money to get to the community with the best climate to be homeless in. And to find a climate in this country where there's no chances of your freezing in winter is tough!

Many are quick to point out Southern California, not realizing it can get very chilly over there in winter. I see the multitudes of homeless in Las Vegas, where I live, but our winters, coupled with windchill from the wind blasters that rip through this valley, from time to time, it can get as chilly in January as Minnesota!
How they survive our cold winters is beyond me!
That's not chilly. That's FREEEEEEZING!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
You know what I'm afraid of, is when I tell him, even though he's known it's coming for a long while, but when I tell him this is it, this is the real deal, he might snap and go postal on us.
So...why not take him for a ride...drop him off while you run home, pack and move far, far away? That's what I would do if I were 'afraid' for my life!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Great ANOTHER bash, mock and paint the homeless in a ugly light gabfest. BTW playing the crazy card and lying your way into things you want is why many people have uninformed negative attitudes towards all of us. IF you are young, able bodied you have no excuse - IF however you are in your mid to upper 50's, have some health issues its a whole nother situation. 3 million homeless in America today, 20-25% are Vets, 1+ million are children, in some areas of the country dogs have more shelters and rights than a human...say Avery Co., NC for example. Some areas have no human shelters, no soup kitchens and NO services if your a homeless human - say large sections of the Mtns of NC/SW VA/WV/KY. Instead of bashing we the unwanted in America I suggest you go to the closest homeless shelter/food bank and volunteer and help reduce/change the problem and learn the truth and MAYBE even make some friends........
People need/want a hand up...not a constant hand out. Getting a Just Over Broke many times causes more problems than it solves. Everybody isn't cut out for a daily, 9 to 5 grind and because they don't fit into society's straight jacket/box, they are looked at as losers and non conformist. Many could make a life of financial success if the right situation and opportunity presented itself in a way that reaches their mindset. I know, because I'm one of them. I had to keep searching until I found the right opportunity that fit my personal needs and I aim to help others do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness