Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:01 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
... conspiracy forums who have their heads in the air ...

... talk about 'zombies' they are talking about the average football watching, beer drinking, text messaging 'zombie' who is a 'cog in the system' ...
Good God, you don't need to be a conspiracy theorist to feel that way about the state of mankind (and to a slightly lesser extent, womankind) these days. You forgot the reference to "wandering through Walmart, half-dressed, asscrack shining, oversized-floppy-bunny-rabbit-night-slipper-clad, hasn't showered in a week, with seven kids hanging off from them and terrorizing the other patrons." Can you really think them to be anything BUT zombies?

And on a more serious note:

Quote:
In reality there is no conspiracy, and by believing in one you actually empower them.
What would you call a person who believes that nobody out there has ill will for others, or that nobody out there would ever mean to do others harm? Or that no government has ever done their citizens wrong? A "Nirvana Theorist"? A "Yellow Brick Roader"?

Quote:
I have to laugh at it sometimes.
Did the victims of such benevolents as Stalin, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, or Hitler get a chance to laugh much? Did the Native Americans in the mid 19th century laugh and crack jokes? Did the folks who became victim to tyrannical government over and over and over and over and over throughout the course of human history LAUGH much? Or did they not recognize the obvious pattern... like you?

Last edited by ChrisC; 12-01-2013 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 09:18 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
I wonder is what those people in Wal-Mart think of me when I walk in there normally wearing slacks and a jacket (turtleneck, sometimes necktie) with a Bogey-style fedora. If it's cold, I'll have a trenchcoat and wool scarf with that.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I wonder is what those people in Wal-Mart think of me when I walk in there normally wearing slacks and a jacket (turtleneck, sometimes necktie) with a Bogey-style fedora. If it's cold, I'll have a trenchcoat and wool scarf with that.
Well, I usually don't go that formal (at least formal when compared to the "styles" of today), but I would imagine it causes utter confusion. Perhaps a stampede?

That brings up an interesting question I've thought about from time to time. I'm really enamored with the styles of the 1880s through the 1920s (flapper generation). Mostly women's styles, but men's as well. I bought an ascot a few weeks back just for kicks. I've never seen anyone wear one, other than in movies. I hate regular modern ties. At anything formal, I wear a bowtie. Now I can wear the ascot (I'm seldom at anything formal, though). That purchase prompted a "what if" fantasy. I would like to see the looks on people's faces if I (or anyone) dressed in the typical attire of upper middle-class men from, say, the decade of 1900 to 1910, and just went around on day-to-day business (or in Walmart ). I'll bet the looks would be worthy of a youtube video. Until someone called the police because a "strange" man is walking around.

Last edited by ChrisC; 12-01-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 12-02-2013, 08:59 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Well, yeah, it does depend on the situation. If civilians in cammies start firing from trees and rooftops at troops, the troops will fire back.
That's not quite true. Sad to say but sometimes troops right here in the USA have fired killing and injuring young unarmed U.S. civilians (students) who were not wearing cammies and were not in trees or rooftops shooting at the troops.
Kent State shootings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.google.com/search?q=kent...w=1606&bih=786

Old 12-02-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
That's not quite true. Sad to say but sometimes troops right here in the USA have fired killing and injuring young unarmed U.S. civilians (students) who were not wearing cammies and were not in trees or rooftops shooting at the troops.
Kent State shootings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The National Guard was not integrated into the Total Force at that time, and was far less well trained. You could have also listed the National Guard action from the Ludlow Massacre.

The only directly analogous situation would be the Bonus March attack led by none other than MacArthur, Eisenhower, and Patton--career soldiers leading the regular army against their own former comrades and families.

But that was a different military--particularly, a pre-Vietnam (pre-William Calley) military in which soldiers and their officers did not have Law of Armed Conflict training and had little news access. This is a different world from even 1970.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 12-02-2013 at 09:27 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
The National Guard was not integrated into the Total Force at that time, and was far less well trained. You could have also listed the National Guard action from the Ludlow Massacre.

The only directly analogous situation would be the Bonus March attack led by none other than MacArthur, Eisenhower, and Patton--career soldiers leading the regular army against their own former comrades and families.

But that was a different military--particularly, a pre-Vietnam (pre-William Calley) military in which soldiers and their officers did not have Law of Armed Conflict training and had little news access. This is a different world from even 1970.
Integrated or not, the National Guard is an armed militia that basically functions as national defense on the home front. They've got some pretty heavy pop-guns at their disposal, though not at the level of the primary military branches.

The point was in regard to a statement made by a poster that "the military has "fired upon" US citizens before", to which you replied, "If civilians in cammies start firing from trees and rooftops at troops, the troops will fire back." Call the National Guard what you want, but that doesn't change history. Granted one would think the military would not fire on civilians, but it has happened. It doesn't matter if they lacked training as the other branches. As you said, "...it does depend on the situation." One would hope such a situation would never arise again, but then anything has the potential of being subject to change.

"This is a different world from even 1970," you say? Yes, that's true. Certainly part of it has become more technologically advanced. Who knows where things will end up in the future? Welcome to the 21st century.

Terminating the Terminator: What to do About Autonomous Weapons

US Tests New Stealthy Long-Range Anti-Ship Missile | The Diplomat

Old 12-03-2013, 06:58 AM

Anyone who thinks the military will not or cannot "fire on their own citizens" is fooling himself/herself.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Anyone who thinks the military will not or cannot "fire on their own citizens" is fooling himself/herself.
It really depends upon the scenario.

Additionally, it will vary from troop to troop.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It really depends upon the scenario.

Additionally, it will vary from troop to troop.
A situation like the Bonus March will not happen again. Kent State won't even happen again.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
A situation like the Bonus March will not happen again. Kent State won't even happen again.
I'm comforted that you're able to predict the future. Any predictions on any winning lottery jackpot numbers? What may or may not happen in the US is no guarantee that it would be the same elsewhere around the world. There are numerous events involving conflicts, sometimes with militaries killing their own citizens. How many of those people thought 'that could NEVER happen here'?

Getting it back on topic (tongue-in-cheek), a Raccoon City scenario of 'contain and eradicate' wouldn't be all that unthinkable, even if there are still survivors. It's a different situation though because it would involve a threat that could potentially spread. Take zombies out of the picture and put in a deadly and rapidly spreading contagion (pandemic) that accidently gets loose from a research facility, perhaps CDC related. I assume the protocol for such a scenario would be to lock things down as quickly as possible. What should be done then? Let them die? The end result would be the same as shooting or bombing them. And what do you do if your neighbor shows signs of being sick? Pull out a gun and kill him or her just in case? People can get pretty crazy in tense conditions. Not everyone stays calm and rational. Just look at some of the conflicts in the Middle-east. Sometimes even highly trained soldiers (whether from US or any other country) can go completely and unexpectedly nuts and brutalize or slaughter innocent people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness