U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:27 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,366,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Back in the 70's, a new ice age was the equivelent of the modern global warming scams. In between we had the ozone hole.

Same scam, same purpose, to seperate people from their money.
There was never a single scientific paper published claiming anything about a new ice age. There was one pop culture magazine which made such a claim but not a single scientist ever endorsed it. I'm afraid you're just repeating a myth which has been debunked over and over as factually incorrect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 12:38 AM

6,387 posts, read 7,425,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
There was never a single scientific paper published claiming anything about a new ice age. There was one pop culture magazine which made such a claim but not a single scientist ever endorsed it. I'm afraid you're just repeating a myth which has been debunked over and over as factually incorrect.
Which myth? The new ice age, global warming or the ozone hole?

Old 11-15-2013, 01:28 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,366,454 times
The 1970s Ice Age Myth and Time Magazine Covers

You can keep denying the scientific facts all you want but at least try to stop saying untrue things like claiming ANY published climate scientists ever said anything about an ice age in the scientific literature in the 1970's. It just didn't happen, that's not a matter of opinion, that is just fact.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:56 AM

4 posts, read 2,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Back in the 70's, a new ice age was the equivelent of the modern global warming scams. In between we had the ozone hole.

Same scam, same purpose, to seperate people from their money.
Hey everyone I'm new to this forum or what ever it is please help me out I want to meet new people. I currently live in west va (martinsburg) anyone live near me? Please respond and maybe we can get together for coffee beer or something like that. Let me know what this site is all about thanks everyone. Have a good day

Old 11-15-2013, 10:14 AM

6,387 posts, read 7,425,649 times
Hey Sally Lynn, Welcome to the self sufficiency/preparedness boards.

What we do here is some folks ask about providing for themselves in an emergency, growing their own food, raising livestock, learning trades and skills, what kind of foods and water store well, what kind of generator to have, how to prepare for natural or manmade disasters.

Some ask for advice about hunting or trapping or fishing. Some ask for advice about firearms or flashlights.

There are some posters here that live the lifestyle and attempt to assist with information, insight, and stories of how they did it.

Information is shared, some humor, some tragedy, different views are expressed and discussed.

Then there are about 3 or 4 posters here who push a political agenda and try to start arguments, deride and demean those that don't follow the officially sanctioned collective groupthink, and basically just troll around trying to start fights which they never win.
For instance, they propose prepping for things that would take thousands of years to grow to proportions large enough to impact a large segment of the worlds population, demean and insult if you answer their question, and in short just attempt to promote their pop-culture religion as the true way and if you don't follow the gospel according to their prophet algore, why then you are an infidel that must be shamed and destroyed.

That is pretty much what we do here.

My good friend ThreeRun just moved near me in Montana, he came from down in West-by-God Virginny, but I don't think either of us is close enough to meet you for lunch.
I have met several folks in person that I talked to on these boards, so it can happen.

You would probably have more luck meeting local folks on the West Virginia board, as I only know of one or 2 regulars on this board that are from anywhere near your area.

Welcome aboard and I hope enjoy your visit to the "crazy doomers" site.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:23 AM

964 posts, read 1,090,719 times
Default The coming ice age

I have just finished reading 'Antartica' by Gabrielle Walker. It was more interesting than the title suggests. As a matter of fact, I have been reading both books and articles on the subject. It seems that no one quite knows why ice ages occur. We just haven't been recording weather information long enough. Before I started reading, I thought we were just taking ice cores. Now I know that we are taking a variety of cores from a variety of places! The more information is obtained, the more arguments seem to be erupting.

I don't know about your local library, but mine has a way of accessing other databases. I have found a lot of interesting papers written on the subject. There has been a lot of discussion about the Milankovitch cycle as a contributing factor to the spread of ice. I had never heard of Milutin Milankovic. He first described the wobbles in the Earth's orbit. Yes, I know it's more complicated than that, but I don't feel like typing paragraph after paragraph (or cutting, pasting, and posting credits). Part of is theory is that climate change on Earth is caused by the changes in the Earth's position relative to the Sun as the Earth orbits the Sun. That nice, neat orbit I learned in school is actually not so neat. The Earth wobbles as it goes around the Sun. Milankovitch believed that this wobble can cause the spread of ice.

Other articles I have read put forth the theory that the cycles can be worsened, or sped up, by contributing factors such a volcanic eruptions, or atmospheric asteroid explosions.

Another book (with a very dramatic title) is 'Weather's Greatest Mysteries Solved' by Randy Cerveny.

I think the topic is interesting, but I hope never to see an ice age! Squishing us together in a smaller area would not be pleasant.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:41 AM

964 posts, read 1,090,719 times
Default 2014

Just made my way (painfully) thru Habibullo Abdussamatov's latest posting. He is predicting that, beginning in 2014, the climate will be cooling. He anticipates another Maunder minimum. Things like this make life interesting.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:22 PM

17,941 posts, read 13,829,669 times
Those who "reap the harvest" off from things like a global warming scare tread on some pretty thin ice because the climate is not something they can control like economics, votes, funding, etc. And if things don't turn out like they've been bellyaching about for 20 years now... well, their credibility will be tarnished. You can't hide the weather going on around you. You may be able to hype it and get away with it for a time, but sooner or later confidence wanes.

As you said... it will be interesting to see how things go with the weather patterns over the next years. I don't mind saying I'd laugh pretty hard if things went the way of an obvious cooling trend--mainly because I'm so sick of hearing the man-made global warming thing. It's time to move on to some other revenue generating scheme.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:45 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,785,070 times
Actually, global warming could end up causing an ice age for a period of time. The melting of fresh water now stored in the polar ice caps could cause increased snowfall in artic regions. If this increased amount of snow continued to occur for long enough then glacial ice sheets would develop, plunging temperatures into the deep freeze in vulnerabe regions of the planet. Tah Dah! The iceman cometh!

I would prepare for this possibility by starting up a herd of musk oxen and to bring in a little cash, I'd finish up writing my soon to be best seller, "You too can Build an Igloo! A Guide for the Complete Idiot.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:23 AM

3,647 posts, read 5,232,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The 1970s Ice Age Myth and Time Magazine Covers

You can keep denying the scientific facts all you want but at least try to stop saying untrue things like claiming ANY published climate scientists ever said anything about an ice age in the scientific literature in the 1970's. It just didn't happen, that's not a matter of opinion, that is just fact.
Regardless of whether it was debunked or never supported by scientific fact, it was an ongoing topic of conversation for a time. I remember it and I was just child at the time and thought news was booooring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness