Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 02:52 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times

Advertisements

Some of you have said that people living in the north are best prepared for the ice age.

Not at all.

First you have to ask what happens in an ice age. The most obvious effect is the expansion of glaciers. How does a glacier expand to be a mile thick over New York? I'll give you a hint, it's not through snowmelt.

Right now the breadbasket of America is fortunate enough to have a growing season. Every year, when spring comes, farmers can expect to plant crops and have them to grow under the warm sun all summer long, save for a freak freeze that happens once in a while.

...You'll know that the ice age is coming when these freak freezes become regular in the northern part of north America. Growing food will no longer be a safe business venture. Slowly over time the freak freezes will occur further and further south, and snow will no longer melt. With the lack of snowmelt, the warm oceans will expand the glaciers.

The good thing is, all is not completely lost. An ice age takes a few centuries before temperatures stabilize. Humanity can easily survive in large numbers if we orderly evacuate Canada, northern part of North America, most of Europe, most of Russia, most of Asia, certain parts of Africa, certain parts of Australia, certain parts of South America, to other countries closer to the equator. If we can put politics aside, if we can be cooperative and tolerant of other people, we can all live happily ever after despite going through extreme climate change, with much worse climate change than that of global warming.

....I wouldn't bet on that though. Secure farmland in some country like Belize while you still can and defend it for your future generations.

Oh and one more thing, the earth will be in the Ice age much longer than the interglacial we are currently living in. Support green house emissions. Support insulating the earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 AM

25,684 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Please tell us how long an "ice age" typically takes to develop on our planet, based on the known geologic history of our planet.

From there, I guess the question would be... why are you worried about it? I've heard "global warming" for 30 years now. Now this. Seems our brain cycles are much faster than our climate cycles. You are, of course, free to worry about the earth's cycling climate. But worrying about it won't change it. Not letting any more farts will not change it either. Five or six generations down the line, natural climate change may well be a problem. But as always, our species either adapts or becomes extinct. That's the way it has always been with all inhabitants of our planet. Just ask a t-rex.

Last edited by ChrisC; 11-13-2013 at 07:57 AM..

Old 11-13-2013, 07:02 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
Yea, well I have my insulated Carhartt jacket so it won't be a problem.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:43 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Please tell us how long an "ice age" typically takes to develop on our planet, based on the known geologic history of our planet.
As a licensed geologist my answer is several thousand years. It's not something which happens over night.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:29 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
An ice age is the last thing I am worried about.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:16 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"Stirring the cauldron" is about right.

"Some of you have said that people living in the north are best prepared for the ice age. "

And those people would be wearing sock puppets?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
I'm going to step outside and empty a spray canister to keep it from happening!!!!

:-p

Old 11-13-2013, 11:02 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Spray canisters damage the ozone (or at least some of them do) and don't have much to do with climate change. Sorry, man.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:10 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
I've never heard of anybody preparing for an ice age. Are these people who aren't aware of global warming?

Old 11-13-2013, 02:50 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Spray canisters damage the ozone (or at least some of them do) and don't have much to do with climate change. Sorry, man.
Joke man... Joke.

People say it causes global warming BTW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness