U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 05:28 PM

14,650 posts, read 16,133,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
What is a good book for survival say during a war, or horrible times of food shortage/energy crisis. I'm looking for one that tells you how to start a fire, which plants/foods are poisonous, growing food with limited supplies, cleaning wounds with out supplies.. Etc a sort of what I guess everyone did before electricity food and water was so readily available
I cannot address your request directly. However, prior to the NEED for all this, you might want to take a look at "Surviving Off Off Grid" by Michael Bunker.

It addresses preparing for SHTF scenario by changing your lifestyle rather than trying to maintain an unsustainable lifestyle in a survival environment. It is heavily Christian and very biblical, but if you can overlook that and absorb the meat of the matter, it is an excellent book to give you a keen understanding of a BETTER way to prepare for TEOTWAWKI. I have read it several times and recommend it to everybody.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 09:34 AM

19,169 posts, read 11,180,406 times
WOW, this thread really got off into the weeds. LOL, glad its back on the fairway.

Here is the update of a good one...

https://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-05-70.pdf

Old 12-11-2013, 12:19 PM

5,774 posts, read 3,452,603 times
I generally only listen to Fernando, he has a YT channel too with good stuff, he actually lived through a collapse, and call BS on a lot of the stupid ideas some preppers put out.

The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse: Fernando "Ferfal" Aguirre: 9789870563457: Amazon.com: Books

Old 12-11-2013, 01:24 PM

4,593 posts, read 3,331,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
WOW, this thread really got off into the weeds. LOL, glad its back on the fairway.

Here is the update of a good one...

https://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-05-70.pdf
The thread certainly did go into the weeds, poison ivy. People who don't read, 90% of the population, seem to become very upset about book discussions; they frequently try to disrupt them.

Speaking of poison ivy, let me add a few more suggestions.

Fllowing the second link reveals a myriad of books on edible wild plants. Additionally, all of the Peterson field guides are excellent; they belong in the survivalist's library.

A Field Guide to Venomous Animals and Poisonous Plants: North America North of Mexico (Peterson Field Guides): Roger Caras, Steven Foster, Roger Tory Peterson: 9780395936085: Amazon.com: Books

A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and central North America (Peterson Field Guides): Lee Allen Peterson, Roger Tory Peterson: 0046442926225: Amazon.com: Books

Old 12-11-2013, 04:38 PM

756 posts, read 293,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
People who don't read, 90% of the population, seem to become very upset about book discussions; they frequently try to disrupt them.
Publishing something to the world has become so cheap, it has devalued a lot of good work out there by burying it in the weeds (no pun intended ). In all seriousness, there is so much garbage published that it is very difficult to weed out the good from the bad, esp. if your time is limited.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:52 PM

4,593 posts, read 3,331,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
I also saw great advice in "Battlestar Galactica" and "Star Trek"... Should we start quoting these? I mean, they are as valid of a source as what you are quoting
Quote:
Publishing something to the world has become so cheap, it has devalued a lot of good work out there by burying it in the weeds (no pun intended ). In all seriousness, there is so much garbage published that it is very difficult to weed out the good from the bad, esp. if your time is limited.
This one spends his time on the important things, movies and television. Readers are better candidates for survivors.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:03 PM

14,435 posts, read 5,635,068 times
I got this book and loved it, not a long read at all. if nothing else, it will get you started in the right direction.

How to Live Without Electricity - And Like It by Anita Evangelista

Old 12-11-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
This one spends his time on the important things, movies and television. Readers are better candidates for survivors.
Eh? What the heck are you on about? I have devoured books since I was a child, still do.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,193,546 times
Quote:
Quote:
Eh? What the heck are you on about? I have devoured books since I was a child, still do.
I wondered about that.

More importantly how is the media used to convey information (one assume's we're discussing informative works) have any bearing on who makes a better candidate for survivors. Isn't it said a picture speaks a thousand words, well, that's going to be 24,000 words every second if it's a moving picture, I can't read 24,000 words a second. If it's fiction, then who cares what form that media takes, it's fictional.

Chances are people read far more today than at any time in human history, we're bombarded with email and instant messaging, and SMS, not to mention there's a great deal of information available out in the ether...net. Does that mean they're better candidates for survivors than say someone in the 17th or 18th Century who could not read at all? Clearly not as the vast majority of people today if placed in the same conditions as the first settlers to the United States would die in around 2-3 months, but they all can read.

I think this kind of proves that reading and survival are orthogonal. I know I'd take some toothless backwoodsman who couldn't read a lick of anything and from a family with a long lineage of not being able to read a lick of anything over some Justin Bieber fan who's in college studying for a Ph.D in English Literature if I was stuck in a bad situation.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I wondered about that.

More importantly how is the media used to convey information (one assume's we're discussing informative works) have any bearing on who makes a better candidate for survivors. Isn't it said a picture speaks a thousand words, well, that's going to be 24,000 words every second if it's a moving picture, I can't read 24,000 words a second. If it's fiction, then who cares what form that media takes, it's fictional.

Chances are people read far more today than at any time in human history, we're bombarded with email and instant messaging, and SMS, not to mention there's a great deal of information available out in the ether...net. Does that mean they're better candidates for survivors than say someone in the 17th or 18th Century who could not read at all? Clearly not as the vast majority of people today if placed in the same conditions as the first settlers to the United States would die in around 2-3 months, but they all can read.

I think this kind of proves that reading and survival are orthogonal. I know I'd take some toothless backwoodsman who couldn't read a lick of anything and from a family with a long lineage of not being able to read a lick of anything over some Justin Bieber fan who's in college studying for a Ph.D in English Literature if I was stuck in a bad situation.
Reading is required somewhat (just as is watching informative DVDs or whatever, I don't have cable or own a TV but have internet so can watch what I choose) - mostly for people who simply don't know a skill or need some information - after all, we were not all born with all the knowledge

In general, however, if I want to learn a new skill, my progression is: read about it online, try to watch a DVD about it, if there is one and finally take a class locally.

However, when you take the book thing too far, you become the armchair guy . There are people on this forum who talk about self sufficiency a lot but they depend on buying food and storing it, they don't grow anything, have no animals except for dogs etc. In my books, that's not self-sufficiency and those people are on this forum for political or ideological reasons, not for practical discussions since they are not doing much practically but storing the labor of someone else in their storage unit (that someone else built) . But, under some definitions, it is self-sufficiency, esp. compared to someone living in the city, not storing anything or preparing at all. People can choose what definition they want, it's a free country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness