Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:10 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Cool.

Speaking of things that you can 'culture'. You can also do Mother of vinegar [Mycoderma aceti]. Do one batch just to get it going.

We divided ours into 3 jars; and did one with red wine, one with beer, and one with apple cider. After 3 generations of each, you begin to have some pretty good vinegars [red, malt and ACV].

Our difficulty was in detecting when each was in it's peak pH [That is when you need to seal the container].

First we used store-bought litmus paper. Then later my Dw shifted to using red cabbage.
There are some very accurate ph testing methods. I believe that the ideal way to do it would be to keep testing until the culture reaches ideal ph or just passes it. If it passes the point you wish its simple to bring it back as the chemicals are available from aquarium businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 11:17 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There are some very accurate ph testing methods. I believe that the ideal way to do it would be to keep testing until the culture reaches ideal ph or just passes it. If it passes the point you wish its simple to bring it back as the chemicals are available from aquarium businesses.
Litmus paper is accurate and cheap, but not very sustainable.

Red Cabbage is.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:29 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Hey Missing,

I know you are a ways from the ocean, so am I, but in Montana we have salt licks in certain areas where natural salt was deposited when the eastern part of the state was part of the inland sea.
North America’s Inland Sea

Not sure about your specific area, but that might be an option in a crisis.
I'm in a glacial valley between the Yukon & Tanana rivers and the Alaskan & Brooks ranges. There aren't any local salt deposits that I'm aware of. Gold, oil, crappy coal, jade, rare earth metals and lots of awesome clay & trees... but no salt Even the hot springs in the area are lacking in sodium or postassium chloride compositions. I'd have to travel up/downriver or south/north of the mountains several days to get to sea water or a remnant of the inland sea.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Veering slightly off topic, but if society ends, salt is going to one of the most premium barter items.
It used to be one of the highest commodities in older times... hence the phrase "being worth one's salt".

Old 11-30-2013, 07:41 PM

Capturing wild yeast for sourdough or wine/vinegar isn't that difficult... you just need some water and a food source (any simple carbohydrate like flour, potato water, grape/apple juice, milk or sugar).

There are cultures of particular strains of yeast and bacteria available commerically for sourdough, beer, vinegar, kefir, yogurt, cheese, etc... if you start a batch using the appropriate culture, you can keep it alive as "mother" almost indefinitely with proper care and feeding. Different places have different strains of wild yeast & bacteria, if you catch your own wild, you won't get exactly the same flavor or properties, but you'll usually get something similar.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:16 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
What-now in the which-who?

If I hit a deer with my truck, does that make me a hunter ??

(I Actually haven't hit anything ever)
Been there, done that. I still brag on mine.

It's a pretty inconvenient and expensive way to bag a ten-point buck. Since I don't care for venison, I donated Big Boy to the tow truck driver who hauled my Elantra to the dealership. $7,000 and a week later, I got my car back.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:57 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
I plan on going the Mormon route and have a years worth of everything. I can do everything except lye and soap, I've never hunted but my neighbors slaughter their bulls, chickens so we could barter. My mom knows how to do chickens. We're moving so I have tapered to a months supply of everything. When we get to the ranch in FL the hoarding will begin again.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:30 AM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I plan on going the Mormon route and have a years worth of everything. I can do everything except lye and soap, I've never hunted but my neighbors slaughter their bulls, chickens so we could barter. My mom knows how to do chickens. We're moving so I have tapered to a months supply of everything. When we get to the ranch in FL the hoarding will begin again.
Depending on exactly where in Florida, you may want to store your hoard in a boat...

(I grew up on the Gulf Coast)

Old 12-12-2013, 10:38 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Nighteyes, we are looking in the Alva/La Belle/Clewiston area. I need rural, five acres for the horses and DH's spirit. Please elaborate on the area if you can.

I also intend to have plenty of alcohol for barter. Maybe do some solar power. Hopefully the place we gat will have a solar pool heater that could be expanded.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I also intend to have plenty of alcohol for barter. Maybe do some solar power. Hopefully the place we gat will have a solar pool heater that could be expanded.
Should there be a complete collapse I plan to distill and sell alcohol. I first read several books on the subject, then satisfied my self that I could fabricate the equipment and would be able to safely and comprtently perform the operations. Since it's illegal at this time to distill alcohol and apparently sometimes even to own the equipment the topic is not appropriate for discussion. But since 10% of Americans are alcoholics it should be a orkable idea after TEOTWAWKI.

I've done a good bit of reading on barter as well as primitive money, enough to tell me that the incredibly involved credit necessary with barter just isn't worth the trouble. I know that a few individuals control all the wealth in barter societies but I am not anticipating anything permanent. Gold, silver, and perhaps a few preferred trade items will suffice. I would, of course, happily trade alcohol for sugar and other production materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness